Sony PUA-237 Tonearm

make believe
majick47

Sony PUA-237 Tonearm

Post by majick47 » 15 Feb 2009 03:36

Recently purchased a Sony PUA-237 tonearm that will be installed on my Sony PS-2251 turntable. Being about 40 years old iI was not surprised to discover two minor issues. The headshell will not stay tight in the arm and the azymuth is thrown off, aparently Sony realised the design flaw and made a change to what I believe is a different cartridge where the azymuth is adjusted on the cartridge instead of doing it at the arm. The screw under the bayonet socket wont tighten down. One person suggested a similar size screw with different size threads or just a slightly wider screw. Any other suggestions. The other issue is the antibias string, which was sewing thread, broke and is completely gone. I believe I'v figured out from the manual where it went. It will be replaced with light weight fishing line. If anyone knows exactly what route it took from the antibias dial to the antibias cam it would be very helpful. Other than those two issues it is in very nice shape and should be an excellent performer from what I have read. The Sony PUA-1500 S/L repair manual was also helpful and it pictures the same antibias dial/cam as onthe PUA-237/286.

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 15 Feb 2009 09:13

hallo,

hope this helps.

make sure the string is long enough so there is a little reserve around the post of the dial.
calibrating the 0 value takes some trial and error, but should be done.
be careful with the signal cable and its connection.
there are no spares for this, so you will have to use the original connectors.
it is a nice arm by the way. you already have the answer for the headshell problem.

regards,
bastlnut

majick47

Sony PUA-237 Tonearm

Post by majick47 » 15 Feb 2009 17:47

Bastlnut I very much appreciate your reply with the diagram which shows where the antibias string is located. This confirms my guess as to where it went. The German owners manual is slightly different from the English owners manual in the Vinyl Engine library. The German copy is of better quality than the English copy which is dark and difficult to see the detail. I didn't see any diagrams resembling the one you posted, would your diagram be from a service manual for the PUA-237? Now all I need is the skill of a Swiss watch maker to make the repairs. Many thanks Bastlnut.

pogo
long player
long player

Re: Sony PUA-237 Tonearm

Post by pogo » 09 Jun 2019 23:25

Thanks baslnut (if you're still here). Ive had a PUA-237 with a broken antibias thread for years.
Somehow, I decided it was time to fix it yesterday. Found your image which was very helpful.
Got it fixed and now mounted on the Sony TTU 3000. A small project, but the first one I've tackled in over a year.