Sony X555ES ? Anybody?

make believe
spaceweasel

Sony X555ES ? Anybody?

Post by spaceweasel » 05 Jan 2004 04:14

Can anyone give me information on a Sony X555ES Turntable. I can't find info anywhere.

spaceweasel

Post by spaceweasel » 07 Jan 2004 06:38

I know this is linear, and has a Biotracer arm. Does anybody know whether it is p-mount or standard. How is it rated? What is the value?

jvo

Post by jvo » 07 Jan 2004 09:14

It has a standard headshell- mounting. Reasonable player as I have read. I suppose this robot- arm can have a useful role concerning subsonic damping. The best part is the user- convenience of the player. And the hi- tech looks.

However the arm is really heavy, so I would not put a high - compliance model in it.

jvo

Post by jvo » 07 Jan 2004 19:28

In my HFN& RR of july "81 there was a review of a SonyPSX-75. I do not know if it has the same arm. The review says the robotized facility gives the arm better resistance against lateral disturbances and disc centre eccentricity. The reviewer could not find actual benifits concerning warp disturbances. The Sony could not track better on warps than a SME 3009- III with fluid damper. He found a good damping of the arm/ cartridge resonance and good reduction of subsonic output. The servo does not work for audio frequencies.

He preferred the splendid looks of the Sony over a robotized JVC and liked the operation of it. So the control system was easy to operate. Effective weight 27 g, of which 12 for the headshell alone.

The reviewer heard better image definition and sense of depth and a strong sense of dynamics. Warps however could cause mistracking.

The author , Noel Keywood, advices to use incompliant mc cartridges. Many graphs in the review.

Jan.