almost trashed my PS-4300

make believe
kenl
United States of America

almost trashed my PS-4300

Post by kenl » 17 Jan 2020 23:45

I have a ps-4300 that I bought new about 43 years ago, and placed into storage after almost 20 years of use. Last month I pulled it out, cleaned it, bought a new elliptical needle for the VL-32G cartridge, and plugged it into the home theater system using an ART DJPre II as the preamp. Probably not the best setup, but it sounds great! And everything works…sort of.

The issue is that the platter stalls after startup. It wasn’t that big of a deal, because all it needed was a small spin to get it up to speed. But I researched how to bring everything back up to new anyway. Found that people said to recap the power supply board plus clean out the old grease and re-lube it. Easy. I downloaded the manual, work on electronics, and am handy with tools. This should be a simple job.

Recapping was easy, but didn’t solve the problem. Next, pull a c-clip, remove the main gear, clean, re-lube, and put everything back together. Problem is, there’s not enough room to remove the gear. Worst, I hear a “thump” while fiddling with this thing, then nothing lines up right, and none of the functions work. I just trashed my 40yo treasure.

After franticly “studying” the service manual, I dug deeper. Didn’t see anything wrong, but found a brass tube loose in the works. Turns out this is the “collar” (roller) that fits onto the main lever. Got it back on, it and the lever's arm into the gear’s cam, then buttoned up. Everything is working again….sort of.

Start-up isn’t as energetic as I remember, but doesn’t need assistance. Problem is now there is a scraping sound when the tonearm auto-returns. It only happens when the arm is near it’s resting place.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I did?

BTW, after rereading the manual, I found the correct way to remove the motor and gear system for cleaning. But I’m not sure I want to do that after what happened. Has anyone worked on one of these things before? Are there any undocumented landmines in there? Should I go into it again, or leave it be?

Thank you for any input.

kenl
United States of America

Re: almost trashed my PS-4300 - update

Post by kenl » 21 Jan 2020 12:47

Update

Just to close the loop, went back in yesterday, cleaned around the tonearm area, and that eliminated the squeek

The recapping worked. Everything operates, all the functions work, no ifs or sort of's.

And it sounds great