Sony PS-X600 Shure V15

make believe
Timfromfmass
United States of America

Sony PS-X600 Shure V15

Post by Timfromfmass » 09 Jan 2020 01:06

Hi all. I have a chance to get what I think is a pretty fair deal on one of these tables. They come with a great reputation as being on of the more reliable tables of this type (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). I’m particularly attracted to the idea that the biotracer arm is constantly making adjustments and supposedly is able to mate well with nearly any cartridge as a result. I have a Shure V15 typeiii which with its high compliance needs a very light tone arm. However in looking at the specs on this site it lists the acceptable cartridge weight as 7.5-12.5 grams for the X600. My Shure measures at 6g. Will the two be incompatible, or has anyone here had success with this (or a similar) combo? Thanks in advance!

bernard1
France

Re: Sony PS-X600 Shure V15

Post by bernard1 » 09 Jan 2020 01:56

7.5 to 12.5g is including the headshell which is 5g. I've already used a V15IV which weights 6.4g on a PSX600 with no problem.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 09 Jan 2020 03:06

Oh awesome. Thanks for the response! What are your thoughts on the table itself and that combo?

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 09 Jan 2020 12:39

Timfromfmass wrote:
09 Jan 2020 03:06
Oh awesome. Thanks for the response! What are your thoughts on the table itself and that combo?
A few years ago I had the luck to save a PSX 600 from the trash bin. Yes ! Only the headshell was missing, and finding one was not as easy as just buying a new one, as it's a proprietary model, not manufactured anymore. Anyway I found one. The record size detection bulb was burned also, but replacing was relatively easy.
It's a fabulous turntable, heavy, very quiet, very well constructed, but full of electronic. That's the weak point I think because if it fails, nobody can repair those turntables today. The arm is a nice piece of engineering, and has electronic damping which allows the use of virtually any cart, high or low compliance. I only use it with high or medium compliance ones without any issues.
The full automatic features make this turntable a pleasure to use.
I am a full manual Thorens owner since very long time, the Sony was my first direct drive full auto turntable, total opposite to the Thorens, and I must say that I have been totally seduced. Now I use the two along, two very different solutions for playing records, but two very pleasant ones.
Concerning the use of the V15 III with the PSX 600 I think it is a very good combo.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 10 Jan 2020 02:11

Seems as though the table is already fitted with a V15 type 4 so this will all work quite nicely if the seller and I move forward.

Another question. Does anyone know if that light sensor that monitors some of the auto functions have issues when presented with natural light? My table is positioned near a large window that lets in a fair amount of daylight.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 10 Jan 2020 12:28

Timfromfmass wrote:
10 Jan 2020 02:11
Does anyone know if that light sensor that monitors some of the auto functions have issues when presented with natural light? My table is positioned near a large window that lets in a fair amount of daylight.
The light from the bulb passes through the slots in the rubber mat (there are two series, three slots for 12" records and three for 7") to illuminate a sensor and so the size of the record is detected. If there is no record on the platter and you press the start button, the platter will turn, the arm will move to the edge of the rubber mat, then go back to its rest, and the platter stops spinning. If you play 12" all the slots are covered, so even if the bulb is burned, the arm will stop at the right place. If there is sun or any light falling on the platter, same thing. (Problem can occurs, though, with special colors vinyl, when not black, because light can pass trough them).
In fact, if the bulb was burned, any light could do the trick, as long as enough light falls on the sensor through the rubber mat slots. So the daylight is not an issue.

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 16 Jan 2020 05:39

So I got the thing. All functions are as they should be. It’s in great cosmetic shape, although it could use a decent cleaning (just accumulated dust in the crevasses and such). With a Shure V15IV installed I feel like I got a steel at $175 BUT... there’s always a but.

The mat has some issues. When I got to it he had a record on it (which he said had been there about a month) under the record there was a small pool of what felt like oil. When pulling off the mat I found some of the same underneath. I’ve heard of this on some of these rigid rubber/plastic mats from other tables where the materials starts to secrete. I wiped it all clean and it seems ok now, but I’m not sure if this will continue. However this isn’t the biggest issue. It seems the mat had not been installed with the notches in the circles where they’re supposed to line up. So those notches we’re raising the mat up at those specific points and it is now warped. I have some hope that by having it installed correctly it’ll self correct but not much hope. Outside of trying to find a replacement, which I’ve already begun to search for, any tips.

all that said even with the warped platter that makes every record look like it’s warped, especially out by the edge, this thing still does the damn job! That biotracer arm is no joke. On the HiFi News rest disc it was able to track every single torture test. I was pretty shocked. And while playing actual music it sounds stellar. I can hear that it’s playing a warped record in between tracks (again more so on the outer edge) but given that it still plays realy quietly. It’s so neutral and dynamic! Bass is especially bigger and tighter than the previous tables I’ve owned. I feel like once I get the mat situation straight this could be an end game table for me

Timfromfmass
United States of America

Post by Timfromfmass » 16 Jan 2020 14:22

So update. I was informed that the slots are solely for record size detection. I thought they might also play some role in the servo function. As I don’t own any 7” singles I’m just going to swap it out with the very solid mat that’s on the Yamaha P-751 that I’m now storing. Eventually I may try a cork mat and cut some slots in it, which was also suggested by someone on another forum

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 16 Jan 2020 17:39

Beware that if you put a mat without slots on the PSX 600, the arm will act as if a record was present and the stylus will play the mat if you press accidentally the Start button. Not good. Particularly with your V15 IV stylus.