Sony PS-X60 Auto Return & Position Voltage

make believe
Dewster73
United States of America

Sony PS-X60 Auto Return & Position Voltage

Post by Dewster73 » 25 Nov 2019 15:59

Hello!

Acquired a nice, and barely used, Sony PS-X60 recently. It had an issue with slow speed upon first inspection. I recapped it and cured that issue - both speeds are locked solid now on the strobe. Also reworked the damping fluid and lubricated the mechanical parts. That solved some issues it was having from lack of use since the early 90s, according to the previous owner. Plans are to pair it with a Denon DL-103 and Denon AU-300LC SUT.

But, of course the road to listening isn't an easy one. While making adjustments underneath, I'm running into some questions about this table. I've adjusted the drop point where it drops and auto returns at the right positions for 12" records. Measurements are listed below - - (my goodness are those pots touchy!)

RV101 at 12:30 position: +13.63 -13.37

RV102 adjustments with service manual desired value - -
Measured voltage when stylus is brought to center spindle: 1.130 -- desired is 1.1v
Voltage when fully returned at resting position: 10.48v
Voltage at approximately 56.5mm (5.65cm) 7.38v -- desired is 7.3v

I'm measuring this by clipping the black COM probe to the strobe bulb black wire prong on the power supply board and clipped the red probe to the fourth prong in (not TP2 mentioned in the service manual) on the main board on the same pin block that TP2 is on. Are these appropriate points to be measuring from?
Also, why does the service manual only show four pins on that block when there are five present? Is the outer one with no wire attached supposed to "just not exist"?

The service manual states that adjusting the drop point for 12" records will make this correct for 10" records too, but what about 7" 45 records? The drop point is past the point of the groove start point on 45s when I play those despite the drop point adjusted correctly for 12" records.

Any advice is much appreciated.

pegleg1
Wales

Re: Sony PS-X60 Auto Return & Position Voltage

Post by pegleg1 » 25 Nov 2019 19:17

I too have a PS-X60 and the drop point behaves just like yours, ie fine for 12" but beyond the start groove on 7" 45's. If adjust it for 7" so that the record almost plays immediately, the drop point is far to close to the edge of the record and platter for 12". I don't want to damage my Shure VN35 HE stylus, so I've left it adjusted for 12". Whether it's just 'they are all like that' or there is something else wrong I don't know.
I'd be interested to know how you damped the arm. I've used silicone 300,000 on the lifting pin, it's slowed down a lot but still too fast for my liking.
It's a great table, I've removed the additional counterweight and it tracks lovely at 1.1g.

Dewster73
United States of America

Post by Dewster73 » 26 Nov 2019 15:18

Same - I have left mine adjusted for 12" records for the time being. For damping, I disassembled the entire damping mechanism following the service manual steps. Added 500,000 weight oil to the mechanism. Reassembled it and tested it a few times to ensure drop speed was slow enough to my preference. One thing I will need to check is the drop speed after I remove the weight inside the headshell (two hex nuts) and add the DL-103. Those were in there when it had an Empire cart, but I had to remove them to make room for the DL-103. Oh, and I haven't even started the fun process of cartridge alignment yet! :)

pegleg1
Wales

Post by pegleg1 » 26 Nov 2019 16:26

I hope that you've got the original Sony rubber platter mat. If you turn it over, all is revealed for cartridge alignment. Took me about 10 mins to get it right using the mat and I measured the overhang afterwards and it was spot on. Makes you wonder why other turntable manufacturers never did the same.
You'll need to find the weight of a DL-103 to know if you need the additional counterweight (which I hope you've got) as explained on page 5 of the Owners Instruction manual.
Don't forget to remove the two red transit screws, if you still got them.
I read the service manual regarding tonearm damping; it states to remove the tonearm which looks like some de-soldering/re-soldering. I don't really fancy doing this, PITA, is that you what you did?

Dewster73
United States of America

Post by Dewster73 » 26 Nov 2019 17:08

I didn't remove the tonearm. The part I stopped at was the steps on the second picture where the main nut holds the damping mechanism on. After removing the reflective mirror piece (be careful threading it along the wires) and removing that nut, I was able to slide the damping mechanism out and disassemble it for a cleaning. Might have to remove some springs to access it better. This will of course require the voltages to be calibrated again for the auto-return mirror after you reassemble it.

One thing to also look out for is the brake lever (part# 4-858-726-00) - on mine it had a slight crack in it that I repaired before installing it back into the player.

Yes, thankfully still have the original Sony mat with the alignment markings. Ended up making use of those markings for auto return alignment too! The DL-103 is right at 8.5g - would this be the cutoff to need extra weight? Also, what is the extra supplied weight the manual refers to?

pegleg1
Wales

Post by pegleg1 » 26 Nov 2019 23:26

Hi,
I use Shure V15 iii which is 6g. It's close to the limit of not using the additional weight therefore a cartridge at 8.5g I'd imagine that you'd need the extra weight. There is a line mark on the rear of the arm showing the limit. The additional weight sits at the rear of the normal tonearm counterweight. I don't know the official weight of this; so I've put mine on some scales for you and it's 23g. The additional weight do crop up on ebay from time to time but they are never cheap! There are lots of different types of extra weights for Sony turntables, so be careful.
My tonearm is now dropping nice and slow since I used 300,000 silicone on the lifting pin. I know a PS-X60 owner here in the UK who used 500,000 on the lifter cam as you have; it was fine for a week then took an age to drop. Then it was clean it all off with alcohol and new 300,000.
I hope you keep posting on here; I'm interested how you get on. It's a fabulous turntable despite being rather complex. It would cost a lot of money to make one today. :brit:

Dewster73
United States of America

Post by Dewster73 » 01 Dec 2019 03:31

Turns out my tonearm does have the additional weight in the back. (Hats off to the previous owner). It pops off for removal and pops back on the back end of the tonearm. You're correct on the never cheap part - there's one currently up for the PUA-7 for $80+ !
With the heavy DL-103 at 8.5g and set tracking force on mine at 2.4-2.5g (that concerned me too at first), the 500,000 damping fluid provides a good, slow drop speed. The fluid has been in there for two weeks at this point but I will keep monitoring it for drop speed differences or increased slowness. Maybe it didn't work as well for yours with the lighter cartridge weight and much lighter recommended tracking force?

Actually got mine fully re-assembled the other night. Was able to get the cartridge mounted properly to the 49mm spec in the service manual. Nailed the alignment on the third try, re-calibrated counterweight, set anti-skate, and adjusted tonearm height and rest pad height. Hooked it up to the Denon AU-300 SUT, paired that to a Stanton 310B preamp, ran that into the rack system, and ... WOW!! I was blown away at how crisp the output is.

One more thing I neglected to mention: I did the auto-return voltage adjustments in the dark with only a small flashlight (pointing away from the photocell) to get more accurate results by emulating the bottom cover attached to the player placed in a dimly lit listening room. Turning on the shop lights caused slight voltage changes from additional light exposure to the photocell.

pegleg1
Wales

Post by pegleg1 » 04 Dec 2019 20:10

Glad you got it sorted!
Something I learned since using the turntable is that if I dry clean a record using the platter turned by hand, sometimes the auto function doesn't return the arm back to rest, well, it does, but moves half inch out. The turntable doesn't like to be turned backwards by hand so I've had to re-start it from that position. I now use another turntable to dry clean my records.

Casawelli
Germany

Post by Casawelli » 02 Jan 2020 14:23

Hi Guys,
I am joining in here, since I recently made a nice bargain on my X60, with all defective control knobs on the front, a free falling lift and a 30 years smokers home history. After hours and hours, its back on track as new and I also used 300.000 viscosity with great and smoth results.
Superhappy with the deck and I added my recent Xmas gift, a Goldring E3 violett to it and it sounds great.

Lets keep the decks running forever!

pegleg1
Wales

Post by pegleg1 » 05 Jan 2020 22:01

That's three of us with a recently acquired x60! A fine piece kit.
Now my 40year old pre amp is making odd sounds through one phono channel.
Out with the multi tester and soldering iron. Don't you just love it!
Not.

sirazazel74
Spain

Post by sirazazel74 » 16 Jan 2020 03:05

Well, I've got one too, so that would be 4 of us! Mine wasn't working at all, the XL-15 cartridge that came with it was very very bad, only the power on and the start/stop button worked, cueing lever and lifting mechanism was not working either…
but it was free, so I won't complain! (actually, I got a very nice amp for free that day too, a faulty Pioneer SA-7500 II that I've repaired and now it's my main amp!)

I replaced the cartridge, repaired the buttons, polished the glass panel because it was white and scratched… and it came back to life as a manual turntable for a while!

Bought 300.000Wt silicone oil from a hobby store to try to repair the cueing lever, and when I opened up the turntable to try to re-lube the lifter base assembly as the service manual says, but… my lifter base assembly seems to work fine. Even that all the mechanism seems to look fine, I re-lubed all the moving parts, changed the silicone oil, and mounted everything again, but the cueing lever wasn't working.

Opened up the turntable again, dissasembled all the tonearm mechanism and the tonearm itself, and it turns out that my push-rod assembly was stuck. I dissasembled the base of the tonearm, re-lubed the push-rod assembly, and now the cueing lever works perfect!

But now the auto-return is doing funny things… If its at the end of the record, it tries to move the tonearm but the tonearm stops moving at about half of the record. If its at the start of the record, the turntable stops. Anyone has an idea of what is happening?

And by the way, if anyone knows or has a spare Sony front logo, or a spare front panel, tell me!

pegleg1
Wales

Post by pegleg1 » 19 Jan 2020 16:28

Can you get the tonearm back on the cradle without forcing it? If so, secure the arm in position with the clip and in auto mode, press the start button and let the platter spin a few times. Then press the stop button.
Hopefully this should fix the problem.