PS-X555ES & "Lazaretto"

make believe
Madness832
United States of America

PS-X555ES & "Lazaretto"

Post by Madness832 » 12 Nov 2019 18:02

Hello, wasn't sure whether to post this here or in "Music & Records." But I recently acquired a copy of Jack White's funky record and am wondering how to get side 1 (in-to-out) to play. I mean, I can cue the arm to the end & drop it, but the stylus just oscillates (just swings to & fro, but arm not advancing) while producing an awful sound in the speakers. Guess the main question is: will a linear-tracker play this thing?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: PS-X555ES & "Lazaretto"

Post by fscl » 12 Nov 2019 18:48

You've discovered the downside of some servo controlled linear tracking turntables :?

Most will operate from right to left / outside in and will not play "trick" LPs left to right / inside out.

I know of one linear tracking TT that can probably play Lazaretto inside out and that's the Pioneer PL-L1000 / Phase Linear 8000. Think I've read here on VE that some Yamahas models can. Perhaps some of the air bearing tangentials can also :-k :-k

A simple way to test is to lift the tonearm off of the LP and slightly pull from left to right on the tonearm, if the tonearm drive motor tracks, then the linear will play from the inside out.

In the meantime, you will have to find a conventional pivot tonearm to listen to the "trick" part of Lazaretto.

Good luck

Fred

GuidoK

Re: PS-X555ES & "Lazaretto"

Post by GuidoK » 17 Nov 2019 05:18

fscl wrote:
12 Nov 2019 18:48
I know of one linear tracking TT that can probably play Lazaretto inside out and that's the Pioneer PL-L1000 / Phase Linear 8000. Think I've read here on VE that some Yamahas models can. Perhaps some of the air bearing tangentials can also :-k :-k
Rabco ST7 probably can too
That arm has a purely mechanical drive (so no sensors, and driven off the platter) and should work both ways.