HMP 70 Sony Tonearm

make believe
Viktor_eriksson
Sweden

HMP 70 Sony Tonearm

Post by Viktor_eriksson » 13 Oct 2019 20:58

Hi

Me and my father began renovating his old HMP 70 Sony. We got it working out of luck but now we ran into another problem. When we start everything and begins to listen to an Lp the tonearm somehow jams so that it wont go back to its "resting" position and it wont go all the way "forward" so that we cant listen to a whole side of the Lp. When we remove the platter there is some kinda of stick that makes the tonearm go back to its originally state if we pull it but when you start playing the same problems recur over and over again. So have anyone run into this problem themselves and if so, how do I and my father fix it?

Thanks beforehand!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: HMP 70 Sony Tonearm

Post by musicmn » 14 Oct 2019 00:41

Hi, that's a nice looking all in one set up but I have never worked on one but I would like to help. How about a couple of clear pictures of the "stick" under the platter that you see. What I can tell about these type of units is that the heat off of the electronics used for the tuner and other components dries up the grease that the factory used to lubricate the mechanism. And this dried up grease can cause all kinds of issues with the auto functions of the turntable. My advice would be to remove the turntable from the base if you can and give the mechanism a good look over for any dried up grease or stuck parts. Try to work any levers or parts if they seem stuck to free them up. But please don't use any kind of spray lubricant on the mechanism. All that stuff does is free the mechanism for awhile but once it dries up the mechanism is stuck even worse then before. The best thing to do if you find any stuck or frozen parts is to remove them and clean them good with alcohol or similar cleaner then use fresh lithium grease to lubricate the pivot points. I hope this helps and I'll check back to see if you uploaded any pictures.

nat
long player
long player

Re: HMP 70 Sony Tonearm

Post by nat » 14 Oct 2019 00:46

I'd check the cuing platform to make sure it is level and not twisted out of it's concentric position. If it fouls the arm as it traverses the record, the arm will stop, and if it is really out of whack, I can imagine it might also keep the arm from returning.
A very interesting and handsome piece of equipment, with a better than usual for a combo turntable.