Sony PS X60 Tonearm removal

make believe
pegleg1

Sony PS X60 Tonearm removal

Post by pegleg1 » 29 Sep 2019 15:08

I need to apply grease for cueing damping. I've a copy of the service manual, but is not very clear as to how to remove to tonearm.
Has anyone on the forum done this before and is it beyond the ability of diy?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Sony PS X60 Tonearm removal

Post by musicmn » 29 Sep 2019 16:57

Hi pegleg1, I checked the service manual and the images are not very clear are they. I just serviced a Sony PS x70 and that was the first time I ever did one. But unfortunately they use a totally different mechanism. But from what I could tell from the PS x60 manual you don't need to remove the tonearm and I don't recommend you even try. It appears from the manual that you need to access the lifter base assy and apply new silicone damping fluid to the lifter cam assy. To do this you will need to remove the bottom and see it you can locate these parts. Try to use the pictures in the service manual as a guild. The manual also explains how to disassemble the lifter cam assy and where to apply the damping fluid. The silicone damping fluid is not grease it a viscos type of oil that ranges in weights or thickness. What you will need is 300,000wt silicone damping fluid and you only need a small amount to spread on the lifter cam assy as per the service manual. I used this same weight on the cue lifter on the PS X70 I just serviced and it worked fine. Silicone damping fluid is available on ebay or if you know of a good hobby shop in your area that deals in RC cars they use this type of fluid in the shocks to control the cars better on rough courses. If you have a hard time locating the lifter base assy take a couple of clear pictures of the mechanism. Hope fully we can help you locate the parts and guild you on how to access them. I hope this helps

pegleg1

Post by pegleg1 » 29 Sep 2019 21:18

I thank you for your reply. The reason why I asked about removing the tonearm is that on page 8 of the service manual it says that to apply the silicone grease, remove the tonearm. I certainly prefer removing the bottom cover!
In manual mode, I have perfect cueing control, but in auto the arm drops too fast.
In any event, I love this turntable as complex as it is.

pegleg1

Post by pegleg1 » 15 Oct 2019 14:05

I removed the bottom cover and it looks as if the only way to gain access to the lifter cam assy is to remove the tonearm.
Has anyone here tried this? I'd hate to damage anything.