Sony PS-X600 turntable will not rotate

make believe
Phil_Reid
England

Sony PS-X600 turntable will not rotate

Post by Phil_Reid » 16 May 2019 15:54

I have just got hold of one of these decks and, from reading on the internet, it has a relatively common problem - the turntable will not rotate. The lights come on and the arm moves freely, but it will not turn.

Now, this is probably a very stupid question...Should the spindle turn, or does the platter somehow revolve around a static spindle? With the platter in place it is quite stiff to turn, but the spindle is locked solid. Even using pliers wrapped around a cloth, the spindle does not move. Should it?

kingpin1935
Wales

Re: Sony PS-X600 turntable will not rotate

Post by kingpin1935 » 16 May 2019 16:53

The spindle is a fixed thing and not intended to move.I was going to suggest a new drive belt but the PS-X600 is direct drive.
Sorry I can make no suggestion about the platter not turning,maybe check the motor?

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 16 May 2019 17:45

That makes no sense! Direct drive motor shaft drives the platter so the platter can’t spin independently of the motor shaft!
Something is amiss there!
If the shaft (your spindle) doesn’t rotate I’d check the motor.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 16 May 2019 18:37

The platter AND the spindle should rotate freely, when not in use. The spindle is fixed to the motor but you can remove the platter by gently pulling it by the circular holes in it, under the rubber cover.
If you can't rotate the platter, there is something wrong with the motor, whose axis is the spindle.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 May 2019 19:20

Can you rotate it by hand with the turntable off? If you can't, it's a motor problem, and yes the spindle rotates with the platter.

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 16 May 2019 23:36

lenjack wrote:
16 May 2019 19:20
Can you rotate it by hand with the turntable off? If you can't, it's a motor problem, and yes the spindle rotates with the platter.
No, the spindle will not rotate even when using pliers and a protective cloth. It seems that the motor has seized somehow. :cry:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 17 May 2019 01:05

Take off the platter and put 2 drops of light oil (sewing machine) oil at the bottom of the spindle. Let it soak fo a while, and try again. Probably not going to work, but worth trying.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 17 May 2019 02:42

Another of the situations all too common on this site.....people making observations and suggestions that have no basis in fact or are totally wrong to begin with. People seeking help and information on this site can only be disappointed and disillusioned by such incorrect advice. As in all cases, if you don't absolutely know the answer, shut up, and leave the answering up to those who have more accurate information. This in reference to the comment that "the spindle is a fixed thing, and not intended to move". Rubbish....and extremely misleading to the original poster. Bad form...... [-X

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 17 May 2019 08:42

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
17 May 2019 02:42
Another of the situations all too common on this site.....people making observations and suggestions that have no basis in fact or are totally wrong to begin with. People seeking help and information on this site can only be disappointed and disillusioned by such incorrect advice. As in all cases, if you don't absolutely know the answer, shut up, and leave the answering up to those who have more accurate information. This in reference to the comment that "the spindle is a fixed thing, and not intended to move". Rubbish....and extremely misleading to the original poster. Bad form...... [-X
Well said and my thoughts exactly!

I would never answer such a technical question unless I was 100% certain that my response was correct; why do people do it? Do they think that it adds to their credibility if they answer more questions, even if they're totally wrong? Before I retired I was an I.T. consultant, and considered myself an expert in my field. I regularly offered advice on the relevant bulletin boards, but was always astounded by the amount of totally incorrect information put forward by 'novices' who claimed expert knowledge.

Anyway, I was very suspicious of the initial response to my question, and am very grateful to those who subsequently posted more accurate and useful answers. Because of my initial doubts, I posted the same question on another forum as well. This in no way undermines people responding here, but one thing that I have learned over the years, is to ask the same question several times to several people. You then should get a consensus and a basis for moving forward.

Rant over :)

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 20 May 2019 09:50

Good news!

I removed the motor and managed to unseize the spindle. There was no evidence of hardened grease, in fact there was no sign of any lubrication at all!. There is a cup (described in the service manual as 'bracket, thrust') at the base of the spindle which looks as though it should contain some kind of lubricant. I have cleaned all of the components and temporarily filled the cup with multi-purpose automotive grease, but I'm not convinced that this is the best choice.

Which lubricant is recommended; I can't find anything on the internet?

kingpin1935
Wales

Post by kingpin1935 » 24 May 2019 11:59

FAO Ottermel.Re your post about spindles.I`m a complete novice with turntables.My apparently incorrect remark about spindles was based on my own experience of auto change spindles where records drop to the platter one after another.tTe long spindle on those is fixed.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 May 2019 19:18

OK, understandable.