Sony TTS 8000 ...have I done something stupid?

make believe
Fattyramone

Post by Fattyramone » 06 Apr 2019 12:46

I think the answer is certainly yes.

I bought some Servisol Foam Cleaner 30 after reading about its quality on forums like this. so this morning I decided to give the SME arm a good cleaning in situ as it seems to have a lot of tobacco stains on it , that worked fine.

Then in my haste I saw that the start-stop button which is touch sensitive was quite grubby after many years of being pressed by the previous owner , so , like an idiot , I sprayed some over the console panel and immediately started to rub with some soft tissue and within a minute that too was cleaner.....I had made sure all the power was off

However now when I turn it on it powers up no problem but the touch sensitive start-stop button no longer responds to my finger.

Only then did I read the back of the can that says not to put it onto electrical items (lesson learnt).

So my question being have I done irreparable damage to whatever it is lies beneath the button? ....or will it possibly respond again when it’s dried out? ....

The gap between the button itself and body of the turntable is very tight and I’m surprised that what little “fluid” could have leaked into it for the little time I had it on there has done what it’s done so quickly.

Is it worth spraying a tiny bit of contact spray in the same area to hopefully undo the damage I seem to have done? Or would it make it worse

Im so bloody annoyed at myself now for even touching it

https://i.postimg.cc/DZxX9Z0f/BE4700-FC ... -F0760.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/LX9PQfH0/D2-E25363 ... 02-ECC.jpg

Fattyramone

Re: Sony TTS 8000 ...have I done something stupid?

Post by Fattyramone » 06 Apr 2019 13:10

Phew !

Cancel the self flagellation machine , whatever I did to it it seems to a rectified itself.

Lesson learnt , read the back of the cans next time you dozy Welsh sod.

And breaaaathe

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 06 Apr 2019 13:15

Never spray directly on the part you want to clean. Rather spray on a tissue then clean the part.

Fattyramone

Post by Fattyramone » 06 Apr 2019 13:20

Bernard , point taken , I won’t do it again !

I guess if this potentially stupid action of mine gets read by another audio newbie and stops them doing the same stupid thing then that hour of my heart in my boots was worth it.

Cheers , I’m happy again now :-)