Sony PS-4750 Cueing question....

make believe
moparjeff

Sony PS-4750 Cueing question....

Post by moparjeff » 31 Mar 2019 20:27

Owners (or those familiar with) the Sony PS-4750 TT....

First a little background: Recently purchased one of these TT's at a local stereo repair shop. Took it home and immediately discovered the cueing control wasn't working properly. The cue bar was sticking in the down (tone arm/stylus in contact with record) position. Records would play of course, but I had to manually lift the tonearm off the record by hand. So I tried gently prying the cue bar to the up position but it was now stuck in THAT position. Figuring it just hadn't been used in awhile, I "exercised" cue bar UP then BACK DOWN several times to try to un-stick it. This "WAS" successful and the cueing bar was working good for ONE several-hour record playing session. The next day, it was stuck again.

So, since the shop I bought it from included a 30 day warranty, I took it back for repair. I just got it back and the cue bar is no longer stuck for sure, BUT there seems to be a new problem with it....and thus brings me to this post.

When I DID have the cue bar working (temporarily) after "exercising it", when I would switch the cue control to lower the stylus onto a record, it would lower it....but nice and gently/slowly. Now, after the repair shop did their thing, it lowers the stylus....like....WHAM quick. This was NOT pleasing to me or my record. So, my question to anyone familiar with this TT....SHOULD the cueing be slow like it was before, or is it working correctly now with the fast drop?

Sorry for the wordy post....but thanks for your time!!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Sony PS-4750 Cueing question....

Post by musicmn » 31 Mar 2019 23:21

Hi, it sounds like the repair shop doesn't know what they are doing. The first problem you were having was probably caused by old silicon damping fluid that had started to dry up and turn hard. When this happens the cue mechanism cannot over come the thickened damping fluid and either gets stuck up or down. And when you moved it the fluid softened up and the cue elevator worked again. But after a couple of hours it started to hardened again and your back to your original problem. The tonearm should drop nice and slow to the record, dropping to fast is usually caused by someone either putting oil or something like WD 40 in the cue mechanism washing out the silicone damping fluid. The right way to fix this issue is to disassemble the mechanism if needed to get at the cue mechanism. Then disassemble the cue mechanism clean off all the old damping fluid and grease. Then assemble it using the correct damping fluid weight and fresh grease where needed. If they can't or won't do this repair correctly then you should either get your money back or if you like the turntable try to find someone to fix it correctly.

moparjeff

Post by moparjeff » 01 Apr 2019 01:28

Thanks so much for your feedback MUSICMN! Will take your the info you provided to them when I return the TT.....again.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 01 Apr 2019 02:54

I have a PS-4750. I've had it for 44 years. When you raise or lower the cue lever it should respond at a slower rate than of your finger movement on it. I'd say that the turntable just needed cleaning and the repair shop messed it up. By the way, do get the unit fixed instead of getting your money back. The PS-4750 is one of the finest manual turntables that Sony manufactured. It still rivals my new Technics SL-1210GR (as long as I am using cartridges about 15mm in height from stylus tip to top of cart). The Sony is more ergonomic too and it is easier to return the tonearm to its rest, not requiring a latch to secure.

moparjeff

Post by moparjeff » 06 Apr 2019 16:24

Thanks so much for the feedback Sterling1! I do agree that my records sound amazing on the Sony. Am taking it back to the repair shop today. Hoping they get it right this time.