Budget Sony Turntable

make believe
markwalsham
Great Britain

Budget Sony Turntable

Post by markwalsham » 13 Mar 2019 11:31

Hi everyone, first post on here, so please excuse my ignorance!

I recently started to get back into building a stereo system, mainly as I was sick a tired of listening to compressed and low quality music through computers and streaming services.

I am on a tight budget, as have only spent £100 on an amp (Sony STR-DB930QS), CD player (SACD-XE597) and a pair of Mission speakers.

I really would like to now get a turntable, preferably from Sony, on a budget of max £100. I understand that direct drive is considered good (no slippy belts), quartz lock if possible and usual counter weights and anti-skating controls.

Can anyone recommend a (silver) Sony turntable in that price range that might suit and what to look out for when trying to buy one?

As you can see, I am new to this, and only used to the utter crappy 80's all in one turntables, so I want something that will be a little bit decent for the small budget I have.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Oates68

Re: Budget Sony Turntable

Post by Oates68 » 28 Mar 2019 03:06

I use a Sony PS-LX33 that is about 40 year old and working well. I have removed the stock built in RCA cable and replaced it with female RCA connectors on the rear panel so I can utilize a proper patch cable. Cleaned and lubed recently. The tone arm is adjustable and I have installed an Ortofon OM5 cartridge. A good set up for the budget minded and usually you will find a couple listed on ebay. I recommend it for the midfi system.

Aaron

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Budget Sony Turntable

Post by vinyl master » 28 Mar 2019 09:11

Any of the silver PS-X number models (Think Biotracer) would probably be OK...There is more info about them here...

https://www.mysonic.space/biotracer-turntables

Our favorite vinyl gearhead Frank even fixed up a nice Sony TT on a budget, so something else to look into...