Sony PS-X700 Biotracer arm doesn’t auto balance

make believe
DualJon

Sony PS-X700 Biotracer arm doesn’t auto balance

Post by DualJon » 11 Feb 2019 02:26

Hi Sony Squad,

I’m hoping to find someone here with the right arcane knowledge of these esoteric tables.

I recently dropped by PS-X700 off at my local audio equipment service center to get the record size selector bulb replaced (it had gone dark about a month before). When I got it back, the bulb was working but the arm was not.

Here are the symptoms:
1. Arm balance: often the arm will not move toward the record at all... it raises, tries to balance, then blinks “L” no matter what weight is on the headshell. I do have the additional counterweight but on, off, doesn’t matter, always L.

2. Very rarely, by removing the headshell, turning off the table, turning it back on, then putting the headshell back on after the arm tries to auto balance, I can get the arm to balance and start playing the record. However, in these situations, the arm lift/move L/move R during play functions don’t work

3. Disk size select from platter mat doesn’t work. Sometimes the arm sets down at 7, sometimes 12.

4. Not positive about this, but I think the Start/stop mute doesn’t pop on as fast as it used to.

I’ve heard that the bulb could act as a fuse, and when it burns out it means that something bigger is going on... but anyone have advice on what to look for or replace here?

It really was working just fine before replacing the bulb (other than size selection).

I can solder and follow instructions. Please help

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Sony PS-X700 Biotracer arm doesn’t auto balance

Post by fscl » 11 Feb 2019 16:09

Professor Bizzt has not posted for a long time, however, he has been kind enough to not delete his presence, HTH with the zero balance:

viewtopic.php?t=28975

You will have to study the schematics for the X700 and the X800, they should be very similar in logic and operation.

Regarding the automatic size selection. I know the circuit responds to an LED flashlight, ie if the bulb is out, you can shine an LED flashlight and the sensors will not allow the tonearm to cue on a naked platter, I've got to replace a tower bulb on an X555es myself that I haven't gotten around to....... :? #-o Does your X700 perform correctly with the replacement bulb taped over :-k :?:

Good luck and welcome to VE...... :)

Hate it when the turntable comes back with more problems after "servicing"...... :-k :-k :-k #-o ](*,)

If they are competent, make them make it right..... :twisted:

Fred

goldorak
Canada

Post by goldorak » 12 Feb 2019 02:18

Sorry for your turntable. I have the same, works perfectly. Don't mean to highjack your thread but would you be king enough to measure the weight of the 2 auxiliary sub weights as I am missing those parts.
Good luck making your Sony work properly.

DualJon

Post by DualJon » 12 Feb 2019 02:45

That is something I can answer, at least partially!

I know that the manual lists two counterweights, but mine only came with one and I’ve never had a problem either using it or not using one at all.

Mine is 5/8 oz, or about 17.5g.

goldorak
Canada

Post by goldorak » 12 Feb 2019 03:07

Thanks a lot, I have searched a lot to find the information. Do you think you have the small or large one? Dimensions?

DualJon

Post by DualJon » 12 Feb 2019 19:13

My guess is there could be a larger one out there somewhere, because I haven’t had a situation where my cartridge was too heavy for counterweight-less balance, but too light for balance with the weight. Does that make sense?

The dimensions are roughly: 18mm in diameter, 19mm tall including screw height, threaded screw height about 5mm.

Now, back to the issue at hand... I will take delivery of my non-functional X700 today and try to troubleshoot. I’ll give covering the light a try to see if that makes a difference too.

Any other advice would be really helpful.

goldorak
Canada

Post by goldorak » 08 Mar 2019 03:23

Was wondering how your situation ended up. Is it working?

DualJon

Post by DualJon » 08 Mar 2019 04:35

Thanks for asking! I wish. I am going to have to open it up and start testing resistors, but I haven’t yet because I’m nervous about all the work it’ll take.