Need a manual for the Sony PS-350

make believe
2gumby2

Need a manual for the Sony PS-350

Post by 2gumby2 » 01 Feb 2019 05:45

I recently purchased a Sony PS-350 turntable on eBay. I would like to find an owner manual for this old turntable. Any good sources for this search? I think this is an early 1980s era turntable.

GR Dori

Re: Need a manual for the Sony PS-350

Post by GR Dori » 03 May 2019 05:07

-NOT to be confused with the black, fully manual, Belt Drive PS-LX350H-a 1999 Sony made, Technics SL-1200 "clone"-in appearance only!-
The Sony PS-350 is virtually identical to the PS-LX3 that was introduced in 1981 by Sony. From what I can tell in sale ads, the PS-350 lacks the synchro-record and remote control connections that the PS-LX3 has [synchro-record works with compatible tape decks from Sony in that era and the remote jack would connect to an infrared remote control receiver for Sony systems available at that time.] I've checked here and an owner's manual for the PS-LX3 isn't available, only service & repair documentation. But you can get the manual for the PS-LX5 which has, mechanically, all of the same functionality of the PS-LX3 [and PS-350]. The PS-LX5 adds LEDs for speed and repeat indications and Quartz-Lock for speed control which is more accurate than the Servo-Lock of the LX3/350
Within the manual you'll see how to properly balance and set tracking and anti-skating force and that a recommendation for tracking force only applies to an optionally supplied [Sony] cartridge. You'll also see diagrams which describe cartridge alignment on the headshell, the cartridge should be square to the headshell and the tip of the stylus should be EXACTLY 37.5 millimeters from the collar on the headshell that lands at the end of the tone arm. Any brand of any phono cartridge that you would buy would specify its own manufacturer's recommended tracking range [some cartridges give a range like: 1.0~2.0 grams--I would try the middle and set it at 1.5 grams with anti-skating at the same setting]. The adjustment range offered by the tone arm on this turntable is from 0 to 3.0 grams.
I hope this helps!