Sony PS-LX3 worth getting?

make believe
tomppatix96

Sony PS-LX3 worth getting?

Post by tomppatix96 » 27 Jan 2019 15:31

I have the opportunity to buy a second-hand Sony PS-LX3 turntable for 100 euros. Is it worth it? The seller said that the stylus has just been replaced with a new one but it's a conical stylus so I will probably replace the cart and stylus with an Audio-Technica 95 cart I already own. My existing record player is a Pioneer PL-335A so this Sony should atleast be one step up?

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-lx3.shtml

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: Sony PS-LX3 worth getting?

Post by lini » 28 Jan 2019 12:03

tp96: Well, the Sony could indeed be regarded as one step up from your Pioneer. However, 100 Euro aren't exactly cheap for a used model in that class, so that the exemplar should rather be in "like new" condition for that price.

And then it seems like you'd need to be careful, 'cause apparently there were two versions of the PS-LX3 - one with a halfinch-mount heashell and the other with a headshell with integrated, non-swappable Sonly XL-150 cartridge. So if the exemplar in question would be the latter version, you couldn't simply swap the original XL-150 for a different cartridge (like the AT95E, although that wouldn't seem quite optimal for the comparatively light arm of the PS-LX3...), because you'd first need to find and buy that halfinch-mount headshell (SH-151 type, iirc) - and unfortunately such proprietary headshells in the meantime often have become rather hard to find and unattractively expensive. And, at least as far as I'm aware, it's unfortunately also not possible to use elliptical ND-200E replacement needles for the XL-200 on the body of the XL-150, which otherwise could have been a smart way to circumvent the headshell problem.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

tomppatix96

Post by tomppatix96 » 28 Jan 2019 17:00

lini wrote:
28 Jan 2019 12:03
tp96: Well, the Sony could indeed be regarded as one step up from your Pioneer. However, 100 Euro aren't exactly cheap for a used model in that class, so that the exemplar should rather be in "like new" condition for that price.

And then it seems like you'd need to be careful, 'cause apparently there were two versions of the PS-LX3 - one with a halfinch-mount heashell and the other with a headshell with integrated, non-swappable Sonly XL-150 cartridge. So if the exemplar in question would be the latter version, you couldn't simply swap the original XL-150 for a different cartridge (like the AT95E, although that wouldn't seem quite optimal for the comparatively light arm of the PS-LX3...), because you'd first need to find and buy that halfinch-mount headshell (SH-151 type, iirc) - and unfortunately such proprietary headshells in the meantime often have become rather hard to find and unattractively expensive. And, at least as far as I'm aware, it's unfortunately also not possible to use elliptical ND-200E replacement needles for the XL-200 on the body of the XL-150, which otherwise could have been a smart way to circumvent the headshell problem.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I have now discovered another Sony turntable, a Sony PS-11. The seller asks 50 euros for it, it's in good condition but not "like new". What do you think about that one? It has an Ortofon 305 cartridge, probably need to replace the stylus though.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 28 Jan 2019 21:34

I agree with lini that I wouldn't pay 100 € for this turntable in anything less than mint condition. The PS-11 seems to be of about the same quality, but looks to be a couple of years older, it has more of a funky late 70's style to it than the slick 80's PS-LX3. Either of them will probably be a fine performing turntable (the 0.03% w&f spec of the PS-11 is better than most affordable turntables these days), but they are both fairly generic mid end turntables, so don't pay too much, even for a good specimen. Turntables similar to these are common and can often be picked up for little money, even in good condition.

tomppatix96

Post by tomppatix96 » 28 Jan 2019 22:09

Would 50 euros be too much for the PS-11? Looking at some international sellers online, they seem to be asking about 80-150 euros for it...

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 28 Jan 2019 22:13

50 would be a good price! 80 would be fine to for a nice and clean example in good working order. 150 might be fine for a very nice example, but I wouldn't go higher than that.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 29 Jan 2019 10:16

This turntable has a plastic plinth, but inside is very solid made. So in my opinion it is worh even 100 EUR. You won`t get it for 50 EUR, maybe one in bad cosmetical condition. But then what? Plastic is impossible to repair if it has bumps and scratches. But I always prefer models with S-shaped tonearm and MDF plinth. It is your choice what you want.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 30 Jan 2019 00:47

The PS-11 should be a good option.

The plinth isn't exactly plastic ... it's made of 'Sony Bulk Molding Compound' (SBMC) which is a composite of calcium carbonate, fiberglass and polyester resin. Sony introduced it in 1974 and it remained a staple of pretty much all their models.