Just got a PS-LX520: any maintenance I should do?

make believe
halomademeapc

Just got a PS-LX520: any maintenance I should do?

Post by halomademeapc » 06 Jan 2019 19:14

Hello,
I just picked up a PS-LX520 for about 60 USD. It needs a new belt for the linear tonearm so I ordered that. Is there any other maintenance I should be doing on this thing while I wait for that part to come in?

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gr4ti9MQXDb8AUrEA
This is my first real turntable aside from trying to fix my grandparents' old pioneer. I'm planning to use it with my Denon AVR-3808CI receiver so I'm pretty sure I won't need a preamp. The cartridge is a Grado MF3

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Just got a PS-LX520: any maintenance I should do?

Post by fscl » 09 Jan 2019 15:03

=D> =D> =D>

Congrats on the tt at that price...... =D> =D> =D>

If you haven't done it already put a drop of fine oil on the tonearm drive motor. Also, clean the tonearm guide rails so they are nice clean and shiny. Then rub some dry film PTFE on them to make them super slippery.

Good luck and let us know how it sounds with the Grado T4P.

BTW, on the Pioneer, you can check out the motor with a 9VDC battery hooked directly to the motor leads and try start turning with the battery connected. If it's been sitting around for a long time, the motor contacts may be dirty / oxidized.

Fred

halomademeapc

Post by halomademeapc » 22 Jan 2019 15:45

Thanks!
I forgot to post back here but it's working great with a new belt and some lubrication. I'm no expert on this but I think it sounds pretty good. My girlfriend is going into music technology and she seemed to like it too so it must not be bad.
I made a little video of it. Google Photos kind of ruins the quality but I didn't want to risk a copyright strike uploading it to YouTube or something: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MG5BU1zpcQEbrFp28

I did try powering the motor on that pioneer directly but I no longer have it. After trying for a while, I gave up and didn't take it with me when I moved.

Belmont

Post by Belmont » 23 Jan 2019 20:47

One thing to watch out for is that a little circuit protector on the logic board likes to go kaput. Happened to a friend’s. If the buttons fail to work one day, and the motor doesn’t spin, just buy 2 new Rohm ICP 10’s and 2 1000uF 25V capacitors and solder them in.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 04 Feb 2019 04:06

You should consider putting some kind of damping material on the bottom of the platter - it was done to the one I bought, before I bought it. It was the kind of stick-on sheet used in automotive audio.

bluesun
United States of America

Post by bluesun » 24 Feb 2019 20:35

I would not put "dynamat" or any other sticky, difficult to remove damping material, on a turntable, anywhere, much less a platter which is factory balanced (like the rims of your car tire). You throw the platter out of balance, possibly tax the motor beyond its capabilities, and not only that, ruin a perfectly good turntable. I know we all get enamored of new things and think we'll keep them forever, but judging from the fairly regular parade of dynamat-victim turntables that show up on ebay, let's be realistic...would you want a turntable that had this done to it? With all due respect to the above poster, I guess I just disagree that damping material will add anything to most turntables' sonic character...I mean hey, it's not as if the engineers at Sony knew what they were doing or anything. Surely a weekend warrior with a nearby auto-parts store can do better? I should know, I've been down that road, regretted it, and think differently now. BTW, I do own the PS-LX520 and it is about as quiet and resistant to outside vibrations as one can get given it's lightweight plastic construction. And it's not like a Lenco where you can actually remove the main components and build a new chassis for it.

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 14 Mar 2019 13:39

bluesun wrote:
24 Feb 2019 20:35
I would not put "dynamat" or any other sticky, difficult to remove damping material, on a turntable, anywhere, much less a platter which is factory balanced (like the rims of your car tire). You throw the platter out of balance, possibly tax the motor beyond its capabilities, and not only that, ruin a perfectly good turntable. I know we all get enamored of new things and think we'll keep them forever, but judging from the fairly regular parade of dynamat-victim turntables that show up on ebay, let's be realistic...would you want a turntable that had this done to it? With all due respect to the above poster, I guess I just disagree that damping material will add anything to most turntables' sonic character...I mean hey, it's not as if the engineers at Sony knew what they were doing or anything. Surely a weekend warrior with a nearby auto-parts store can do better? I should know, I've been down that road, regretted it, and think differently now. BTW, I do own the PS-LX520 and it is about as quiet and resistant to outside vibrations as one can get given it's lightweight plastic construction. And it's not like a Lenco where you can actually remove the main components and build a new chassis for it.
I had not thought of the balance issue - thanks for the heads-up.