Sony PSLX500

make believe
65buick

Sony PSLX500

Post by 65buick » 24 Sep 2018 19:25

I have the above turntable. When you push the start button, the turntable turns, but the tonearm does not move. I put a new belt on the tonearm motor assembly, and the motor seems to run, but is not moving the tonearm at all. I cannot find a service manual for this model either. Also I noticed that the cue button is not working (but this may be due to the tonearm not moving) Any suggestions?

Lulu3636
United States of America

Re: Sony PSLX500

Post by Lulu3636 » 29 Sep 2018 02:49

Linear turntables are much more complicated than Belt or even Direct drive TT. If you have no experience in repairing turntables I suggest you seek professional help, or look for a more uncomplicated Technics turntable Direct drive. If you really want to try, look for old sticky yellow grease on any plastic or metal parts. Clean with alcohol and apply Lubriplate white grease. For the arm slide mech clean and apply a thin film of light oil. If there are any wheels with rubber tires on them like in VCR's you have to also clean with alcohol, and if they are dry not soft may have to be replaced. All the above supposes that there are no electrical problems, that is another issue.

Athermos
India

Post by Athermos » 29 Sep 2018 13:05

The belt connects the motor to the pulley which is turn actives the tonearm assembly through a system of gears. Points to check are if that pulley is freely moving, the gears are not jammed and if the tonearm slides effortlessly. All these must be cleaned and the gears lubricated with a suitable lubricant. Again the motor must be checked for free movement in case it only jerks and hums on being driven.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Aug 2019 18:21

The drive systems is similar, here are some additional troubleshooting tips:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 18&t=83074

Good luck, HTH

Fred