Sony PS-FL77 Tonearm Issue

make believe
dalawhorn

Sony PS-FL77 Tonearm Issue

Post by dalawhorn » 24 Apr 2018 00:33

I picked up a Sony PS-FL77 this weekend from a thrift store in pretty decent condition except the linear tracking tone arm seems to get hung up after playing a song or two and start skipping. I can lift the needle and move it past that point and it will play like normal for a few minutes and then proceed to get hung up and start skipping again. Not really sure where to start on this one. What are some potential culprits or things I can try? Thanks!

dalawhorn

Re: Sony PS-FL77 Tonearm Issue

Post by dalawhorn » 28 Apr 2018 00:37

For anyone that happens to find this thread looking for help with the same issue (hate it when I find a forum thread with no solution), I fixed it by replacing the tonearm drive belt (an SBS 2.6 belt). It's a super easy fix. This turntable is awesome!

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 02 Jul 2018 17:27

Thank you. Having the same issue, sounds like. I just ordered the belt and will let you know. Thanks for posting the follow up.

dalawhorn

Post by dalawhorn » 02 Jul 2018 17:40

Glad this was able to (potentially) help somebody else! That belt wearing out seems to be the cause of a lot issues with this turntable. I've been using mine for several months now without any further issue.

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 20 Aug 2018 13:17

I am finally back to working on this turntable and I cannot seem to find where the belt is. Do you have the biotracer tonearm? I have been all through the service manual and opened the TT and cannot find the tonearm belt that matches the belt I ordered.

dalawhorn

Post by dalawhorn » 20 Aug 2018 13:57

Pretty sure the PS-FL77 has the biotracer tonearm. I do remember when I did this that it was kind hard to tell where exactly the belt is at from the service manual. Thankfully I still have a picture of the guts of this TT on my phone and attached it to this post and I circled the location of the belt I replaced.
Attachments
IMG_5081.JPG
(73.19 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

tonyferraro

Post by tonyferraro » 24 Aug 2018 08:31

I have recently repaired a couple of the FL7 tables and tried a few different things. 90% of them have had a stretched out belt that needed to be replaced. Some of them would work fine after replacing the belt, but a few would get stuck after a few days again so I started cleaning the whole system that drives the tonearm. Many I have done have thick grease build up. I'm not sure if these parts are supposed to be greased or not. At first I would clean the old grease from the gears and tracking rod, then lube the gears and rod with Deoxit F5 fader lube. That worked great and I have had no issues. On the last one that I am still using as my main turntable, I cleaned the grease and have not used any grease on anything. It has been working great for months. If anyone has any input on this subject I am curious to know if I should be lubing anything or just maintain a clean drive system.

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 24 Aug 2018 17:48

Thanks to both of you. I am tearing into this one again today and will let you know what I find. I did see the last time I was inside it that there is a lot of grease along the path that the arm movement follows and wires that attach to the arm follow that path of grease. I will look at removing some of it and see how it goes. I can always grease it again.

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 24 Aug 2018 18:47

Well, thanks again. However, that did not work (although at least I did find the belt, replaced it and cleaned off the grease). The issue I am having is exactly as described above, but with one caveat: my problem does not occur on 180g vinyl, only thinner vinyl (and not necessarily older). I can play a new 180g recording just fine and the TT sounds good- maybe with a bit more spacious and less localized center channel than my Music Hall or Audio Technica Turntables. However when I play a standard album (older vinyl pressings or even a newer record like Willie Nelson's Last Man Standing), it will play a few seconds and then start skipping just like any poorly tracking record. The only thing I can think of is to adjust the VTF per the instructions in the service manual but that seems to be difficult to do as the player will not put the stylus down with the cover off (unless I am missing something). I could try to just wing it, but that sounds problematic. As info, it has a Shure M92 cart in it right now which may or may not be lighter or heavier than the original Sony cart so I am not sure if that is part of the issue.

EDIT: The Turntable is playing fine with a Grado Black cartridge on it right now. Not sure why (the Grado and Shure have about the same weight and same (roughly) suggested VTF). Must be a tracking ability issue? #confused

Thoughts/solutions, etc?

tonyferraro

Post by tonyferraro » 24 Aug 2018 21:13

I am working on one of these today. I will post some things you might be able to try later. I think your problem might be the timing in which the arm moves in relation to the light sensor that triggers it. If you have it open when you are testing try to trigger the light sensor on the back of the tonearm to make it move when it is skipping. I am in no way a service technician, but I can tell you some things to try out. I have messed around with the settings on these and that has a lot to do with now far the arm will go be fore it gets to the point where the tonearm triggers the light. If it gets to a point where it skips the piece will never get to the trigger point because it will only go as far as when the skipping loop ends. I'm guessing with the 180g the grooves are further apart to it is off just a bit, which can be tricky but I have figured it out. If you want to try setting the timing screw I can post about that. Hope this helps you get closer to a solution!

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 25 Aug 2018 15:19

Happy to try anything. The TT played at least 10 albums last night without a hitch including old somewhat worn records from the 70s. But, that was with the Grado cart. If it continues, I could live with it but I really wanted to add a m97xe Shure cart to wring out all I can from this table. I really want to get it in tip top shape.

larrsz

Post by larrsz » 02 Sep 2018 22:51

So, I have played this unit for the entire week and this weekend without a hiccup using the Grado cart. I continue to assume the issue is either the trackability of the Grado vs the Shure 92e or 110e carts. Any other input is greatly appreciated.
I have a VTF gauge so if anyone can explain how to get this table to play with the cover off, I am willing to try the VTF adjustment as well.

gortonandy

Post by gortonandy » 17 Jul 2019 23:53

The tracking issue could be to do with the null point on the vertical axis being out. It can be altered with RV201. I have done it with the drawer out, bottom plastic cover off, arm down on the platter (stationary) and just doing it visually - the arm rises and falls as you set the null point. Service Manual Page 20. If that doesn't change anything may be a careful re-cap is in order

gortonandy

Post by gortonandy » 17 Jul 2019 23:56

As a side note regarding belts for this model, I have found that children's coloured "loom bands" are very well suited and cheap as chips. The soft silicone rubber absorbs the rather violent movement of the arm mechanism better than the stock belts, which start off being rather tight. This translates into less noise at the pickup when the arm moves.

Whoisadriana
United States of America

Post by Whoisadriana » 28 Sep 2019 02:47

dalawhorn wrote:
28 Apr 2018 00:37
For anyone that happens to find this thread looking for help with the same issue (hate it when I find a forum thread with no solution), I fixed it by replacing the tonearm drive belt (an SBS 2.6 belt). It's a super easy fix. This turntable is awesome!
This fixed my issue. Thank you so much!