left channel static

make believe
meyellynty1

left channel static

Post by meyellynty1 » 16 Mar 2018 21:46

Hi anyone, I have a Sony PS-T1 turntable. I recently started to get static coming from my left speaker. The needle is new but the cartridge is not. Does anyone know if the cartridge that the needle is attached too could be the cause ? Could it be an internal component ?

royal_mile

Re: left channel static

Post by royal_mile » 17 Mar 2018 18:13

Hi

I'm guessing you are hearing a crackling sound on one channel and this could be a number of possibilities.

Does this happen only during playback or can you hear the noise when the stylus is clear of the record and the platter stopped?

I would try to narrow it down a little just to make sure it is a cartridge issue -apologies if you've already covered these points.

1. Try swapping the L and R connections between the turntable and amplifier (or pre-amplifier) around, if the noise sticks with the left channel then the amplifier or speakers are likely to be the source of the problem.
2. If the noise moves channel if you swap the rca plugs, then the problem is with the turntable somewhere.

If you're satisfied the problem is with the turntable:
1. Check the headshell wiring is in good condition and the tags are pushed onto the pins fully.
2. With the headshell removed check the arm contacts and contacts are in good condition - clean them if necessary.
3. If the problem persists, disconnect the cartridge then do a continuity check from the RCA plugs to the headshell - if the test fails, suspect the wiring.

Steve

meyellynty1

Post by meyellynty1 » 17 Mar 2018 18:55

Hi Steve, thanks for your help. I tried what you wanted to try and I believe that my problem was nothing more than a poor RCA connection. I swapped the jacks and everything sounded great again. So I put them back and I’m good to go. What exactly does the cartridge do? I’m just curious. Again, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it

Scott

royal_mile

Post by royal_mile » 17 Mar 2018 20:04

Hi Scott

Good to hear you tracked down the problem.
Poor connections through age and oxidation are very common and usually easy to fix.

The cartridge is a transducer that converts vibrations from the stylus to an electrical signal that can be amplified. Other than the stylus, there aren't any serviceable parts but they are generally simple and reliable. The bulk of the cost of a nice cartridge is the stylus.

There are different types of cartridge including moving magnet, moving coil and ceramic, some exotic hand made pieces can cost $$$s. There are some excellent resources on this site and a dedicated cartridge forum.

Steve