Disable Tonearm Automatic Return

make believe
kuuderu
United States of America

Disable Tonearm Automatic Return

Post by kuuderu » 02 Mar 2018 15:16

Hello dear VinylEngine community!

I have a Sony PS-X6 turntable which needs to be adjusted but I'm not sure how should I do it.

Some of my records can't be played fully to the end of a side, since record grooves go beyond the point when automatic return activates. Tonearm return activates in all three modes (including Manual Mode) and with any size of a record.

Does anyone know how to disable this Automatic Return function on PS-X6 turntable?

Thanks

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: Disable Tonearm Automatic Return

Post by JaS » 02 Mar 2018 16:08

The service manual shows how to adjust the auto return mechanism.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-x6.shtml

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 02 Mar 2018 16:46

Hello kuuderu, welcome to vinylengine.

Since you wrote, that the auto stop function only doesn't work on some of your records - maybe these records do not comply with the IEC standard. That means, they are a little bit longer than normally. I have one sampler in my record collection, which is also against the IEC norm (it has more tracks on one side as usual) and the auto stop on my record player does not work with it.

I agree with JaS, that you first could try to realign the auto return mechanism before you disable it, which would mean intervening in the mechanics (removal of parts... :( ).

Best regards.

kuuderu
United States of America

Post by kuuderu » 02 Mar 2018 17:12

JaS wrote:The service manual shows how to adjust the auto return mechanism.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-x6.shtml
Thank you, seems like Service Manual is what I need.
themisto462 wrote:Hello kuuderu, welcome to vinylengine.

Since you wrote, that the auto stop function only doesn't work on some of your records - maybe these records do not comply with the IEC standard. That means, they are a little bit longer than normally. I have one sampler in my record collection, which is also against the IEC norm (it has more tracks on one side as usual) and the auto stop on my record player does not work with it.

I agree with JaS, that you first could try to realign the auto return mechanism before you disable it, which would mean intervening in the mechanics (removal of parts... :( ).

Best regards.
Yes, some of my records are bit longer in running time, so in order to listen to them fully, I need to extend tonearm travel range before automatic return activates. Will try to do it myself with service manual on hands.