the home of the turntable

Sony PS X600 buzz when powered on. Arm and platter not movin

make believe

Sony PS X600 buzz when powered on. Arm and platter not movin

Postby Grapevinylfires » 18 Feb 2018 21:21

I recently bought a Sony PS X600 from Craigslist. Before I bought it, the seller demonstrated it was in working condition. I had to wait for my pre-amp to come before I could test my whole set up which took about a week after purchase of the table. At this point, when I press the power button the turntable has a hum or buzz but the arm and platter don’t move. I noticed the lamp does light up. I checked the zero balance and anti-skating but those didn’t seem to get either piece moving. Im wondering if there is something I’m possibly missing in the set up, or if something could have broken in the time between the demo and trying it at home. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grapevinylfires

United States of America

Re: Sony PS X600 buzz when powered on. Arm and platter not m

Postby bernard1 » 20 Feb 2018 16:16

Did you keep the turntable flat during the transport ? Was the arm secured in it's rest ? Dos the hum comes from the table or can you hear it in the loudspeakers ?
There are 2 screws under the platter that secure the transformer during transport, they must be removed for normal operation, but I think that it does not prevent the turntable to operate.
bernard1
contributor

France

Postby Grapevinylfires » 21 Feb 2018 03:12

bernard1 wrote:Did you keep the turntable flat during the transport ? Was the arm secured in it's rest ? Dos the hum comes from the table or can you hear it in the loudspeakers ?
There are 2 screws under the platter that secure the transformer during transport, they must be removed for normal operation, but I think that it does not prevent the turntable to operate.

I can’t verify how flat it stayed in my backseat but it was flat as I could keep it. The arm was secured. The hum comes from the table, not the speakers. Would a slight incline in my backseat have affected the table? If so, is there any specific thing I could check or look into repairing?
Grapevinylfires

United States of America

Postby bernard1 » 22 Feb 2018 10:41

When power is off, the platter must turn freely by hand and the arm go freely from rest to central position, is it correct ?
bernard1
contributor

France

Postby Grapevinylfires » 22 Feb 2018 15:01

bernard1 wrote:When power is off, the platter must turn freely by hand and the arm go freely from rest to central position, is it correct ?

THis is correct. These pieces move freely when power is off.
Grapevinylfires

United States of America

Postby bernard1 » 26 Feb 2018 20:39

Does the arm moves left and right when you press the arrow buttons on the control board ?
When you move the arm away from its rest and push the zero balance button, the arm must oscillate gently around an horizontal position (if you have previously set the balance with the counterweight), then go back to its rest when you push again the zero balance button.
Does the arm goes up and down on a record when you push the first of the three arm transport buttons ?
The action on the stylus force and anti skating setting is not visible. You may only hear a difference when making different setting while playing a record.
You may also have a malfunction problem with the start-stop button.
You should also remove the bottom of the table to check if nothing has move during the transport.
bernard1
contributor

France

Postby langer » 10 Mar 2018 19:06

Hello,

the PS-X600 is unfortunately very sensitive to shocks during transport (only the PS-X800 is even more sensitive)
because very often I got despite some good packaging equipment for repair that arrived with hairline cracks in the PCB. :shock:

Check carefully with a magnifying glass and if necessary check with the Help of cold.
langer

Germany

Postby mkoerner » 14 Mar 2018 13:01

Probably a very stupid question, but you did check WITH a LP being on the Platter? The PS-X600 does not move if it thinks there is no LP on the Platter.

Mike
mkoerner
contributor

Germany

Postby bernard1 » 14 Mar 2018 13:35

No, when there is no record, platter turns, arm moves then goes back to rest and platter stops.
bernard1
contributor

France

Return to Sony