Sony PS 4300 turntable

make believe
ajspaan

Sony PS 4300 turntable

Post by ajspaan » 22 Jan 2018 14:22

My Sony PS 4300 turntalbe has has problems starting rotating. A small push is enough to help it starting to rotate.
Can somebodey help me with this problem?

royal_mile

Re: Sony PS 4300 turntable

Post by royal_mile » 01 Feb 2018 18:46

Hi

I had a PS-3300, an auto-return model which had the following symptoms:
-Platter struggled to start without a push, especially on 33 rpm.
-Speed was rather unstable.
-Strobe light flickering.

Fix:
1. Clean out the speed adjustment pots with contact cleaner
2. Re-set the nominal speed using the service manual available for download on this site.
3. Replace the start/stop micro-switch.
4. Clean the speed selector switch.

The switch replacement involved removing the motor and auto mechanism on my turntable as it was hidden under a plate. Worth checking for continuity first.

Steve

samidurrani

Post by samidurrani » 24 Feb 2018 06:38

Thank you Steve. Your reply here is very helpful. I just took out my 1977 Sony PS-4300. IT has speed inconsistency and sometimes struggles to get started on 33rpm. On 45rpm it is simply too fast and i cannot adjust form the pitch control or using a screw driver under the mat to adjust speeds. It wont fix it. On 33rpm - it plays fine for upto 3 songs/tracks and then goes super fast and then slows down after a while. I wanted to ask you, where do i spray contact cleaner? Thank you. Sami.

royal_mile

Post by royal_mile » 08 Mar 2018 07:38

Sorry for my late reply

If you are comfortable working on electronics, cleaning the contacts is easy, otherwise a repair centre may the best option.

-Disconnect from the power and amp
-Remove the platter, mat, counterweight, headshell.
-Tape down the dust cover.
-Cover your work surface with a towel or something soft.
-Flip the unit over and open the base.

You need to use contact cleaner on the speed adjustment pots and on the speed selector switch.
This is usually done from inside the unit and it is best to release the pots from the plinth so you can direct the spray at the contact area. Once sprayed, rotate the pot fully in each direction several times. Repeat the process a couple of times. If the pitch controls feel very stiff, keep repeating the process until they free up.

Make sure you buy plastic-friendly cleaner.

Be very careful not to spray anything other than contacts - Always use the pipe supplied with the cleaner to control the spray. keep it well away from motors and transformers- shield these items from overspray using paper towels etc. Leave the unit open for an hour after using the cleaner to allow it to evaporate. Don't get any spray near decorative or painted surfaces - it can react and ruin the finish.

Steve

samidurrani

Post by samidurrani » 09 Mar 2018 23:00

Thank you so much for the details. I followed every step. I don't see much difference. What I do feel is: as most of the time it works fine but all of a sudden pitch increases and then gets back to normal. While it's playing fine, if I even very slightly touch the 33rpm button - pitch gets super fast like super super fast and then slows down super slow and after a while gets back to normal. This is exactly the same problem I get without touching the turntable as it plays - pitch gets out of control and then back to normal. Would I be correct to say I need to replace the 33 and 45 buttons.

Thanks,
Sami.

royal_mile

Post by royal_mile » 14 Mar 2018 20:55

If the speed changes when you tap the selector buttons, this may indicate oxidised or burnt contacts within a switch.

Looking at the manual, the speed switch could be a standard micro-swich which are generally sealed, but cheap and easy to replace. It would be best to check the switch for continuity using a multimeter first.

If you can see the contacts on the switch, try some contact cleaner.

samidurrani

Post by samidurrani » 15 Mar 2018 04:39

Ok thank you - i will try opening up later today. I have already purchased the contact electronic cleaner. Hoping it works - thank you for all your support.

Regards,
Sami.