Sony PS LX22 making rubbing sounds

make believe
Bob13

Sony PS LX22 making rubbing sounds

Post by Bob13 » 22 Dec 2017 20:47

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. I have an old school Sony Turntable PS LX22. When the platter is turning it is making a rubbing sound. I removed the platter and discovered that the rubbing sound is made within the chassis. Any thoughts, advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Bob13

Re: Sony PS LX22 making rubbing sounds

Post by Bob13 » 25 Dec 2017 23:42

I opened up my turntable and discovered that the motor assembly was making the scrapping sound. Under the spindle is a heavy round stone like disc which is apparently uneven, having a high spot, which rubs/scraps against a printed circuit disk. Should I invest in replacing it, about $30 for a used motor assembly, or save the time and money and buy new. I like the turntables by UTurn.

Bob13

Re: Sony PS LX22 making rubbing sounds

Post by Bob13 » 03 Jan 2018 04:02

Solved with a cheap fix. After opening the bottom of the TT multiple times to analyze, what is going on, I took a look at the service manual, thanks VinylEngine, and removed the rotor and looked at the magnet and the FG board. I took a dial caliper and measured the thickness of the magnet under rotor. If was ever so slightly uneven.
I used a couple of very small nylon washers to raise the rotor up and dropped a little sewing machine oil into the spindle receptacle and on the bearing. No rubbing or scraping sound, put it all back together and hoped it would play without the noise.

It played well, without the scraping noise. I also checked the rpm using an iOs app. 32.88 rpm. Good enough for me, considering the washers cost $0.15 ea.