Sony PS 4300 Project

make believe
Cjk44X

Sony PS 4300 Project

Post by Cjk44X » 17 Nov 2018 13:21

Hi, I was given a PS 4300 as a project to keep me from sleeping nights apparently. For those with similar units I also had to give the platter a Help to get it rotating at times, cleaned the usual trim pots and speed control pots with no success but should Help speed stability. Replaced the 2200uf and 47uf electrolytic caps on power supply board problem solved. But my only problems to solve is the tonearm drops like a stone, Will need to re-damp somehow. But what I can't Get my head around is that the arm lift wants to stay in the up position when back at its rest even in manual mode. Cleaned up the mechanics as best I could doesn't Help. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Station53
Canada

Re: Sony PS 4300 Project

Post by Station53 » 29 Nov 2018 16:33

The only way I was able to get my arm to go down in manual mode is by setting it to manual, and pressing the start. It goes through a cycle and keeps the arm down. Once it reaches the end of the record it returns automatically and the arm is put back up again.

My arm also drops like a rock but I have read the fluid in the mechanism has to be topped up somehow. Haven't figured this out yet.

Otherwise the machine runs like a champ and sounds excellent.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 29 Nov 2018 18:01

The tonearm only comes down when the platter is rotating. So it is normal that it stays up. A lot of Sony models have this feature.

If you want the tonearm to come down on a stationary platter (to align the cartridge for instance), you need to follow this procedure:
1) turn on the turntable
2) put size switch to 'manual'
3) put the cueing lever in the 'up' postion
4) move the tonearm over the platter, it will start turning
5) turn off the turntable and wait for the platter to stop rotating

now you can lower the cueing lever and the arm will come down

Cjk44X

Post by Cjk44X » 01 Dec 2018 00:36

Thanks for your replies I Wasn't sure about the arm thing but makes sense, and after all it is a Sony got to be different. The only way I can see to fix the arm drop is to have to remove the arm assembly, which means unsoldering the arm wires first. What a pain. Will do this and clean and some 50w Silicone oil and hope. Will post as to its success, Thanks.