the home of the turntable

when did tape come in ?

3 minute wonder

when did tape come in ?

Postby audiopile » 20 Jun 2017 06:45

I;m posting this on the 78 sub-forum simply because my guess would be that ya'll are most likely to know the answer. Is there a safe date to assume that at least roughly -anything much after that date was probably recorded to tape as a master ? I know that once captured German tape recorders started showing up - the advantages of recording to tape came on pretty fast - at least as fast as CD hit. But was mastered to tape common in 48-49-50 or 5X ? This has become a issue for me as I've started to buy reprints of some older jazz recordings - I enjoy well done transfers from 78 to LP ( today with tape or digital storage somewhere in the middle of the process)- but when can I expect that the actual master was recorded onto tape and look for a statement to that effect being on the jacket if i'm lucky ?
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Re: when did tape come in ?

Postby BMRR » 20 Jun 2017 17:28

I can't help you with an exact date, but you might find this Wikipedia article interesting and enjoyable to read (if you haven't already come across it during your research):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... _recording

Section 4.1, Magnetic Tape, is particularly relevant to your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... netic_tape

Fascinating to think that we have Nazis and Bing Crosby to thank for hi-fi audio as we know it today!
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby ndiamone » 13 Aug 2017 03:50

Figure it this way: Bing Crosby Enterprises imported some of the first magnetic media recorders to the U.S. in 1946. By 1947 Crosby had commissioned Ampex to build their own version and by the Summer of `47 was using it for his radio show, pre-recording for the 1947-`48 season.

The big labels took to it right off, with Columbia and RCA leading the pack, both of whom had their first magnetic sessions in either late 1948 or early 1949 as sources differ.

Sessions by the smaller labels e.g. Mercury were done on disc as late as 1952 or 1953 meaning the big studios were already doing the first twin-track recordings (2-track mono - vocals on one orchestra on the other) at the same time as some of the smaller studios were still transitioning from single-cut 16-inch or 17-1/4 -inch 33 RPM lacquers which were then played back directly on one lathe and sent directly to another to cut the 78 RPM 12-inch mastering blank (for 10-inch discs and 14-inch for 12-inch discs) from which the pressings would then be made.
ndiamone

Postby audiopile » 13 Aug 2017 05:07

So it might be as late as 53 for direct to disc still being the ultimate source - that's later than I would have thought. Thanks for the info.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to 78rpm