Currently Playing — at 78 RPM

3 minute wonder
cary114
United States of America

Re: Currently Playing — at 78 RPM

Post by cary114 » 22 Jan 2019 03:29

Sat down tonight and set up my AT-LP-120USB and set up my new SP cartridge. Played More Beer by the Andrew Sisters, played pristine, The Old Master Painter by Phil Harris played with some background noise and My Reverie by Larry Clinton with Bea Wain which was fairly clean. I am looking forward to playing some of my acoustic recording and hearing what they sound like.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Jan 2019 18:55

Hi cary114,

I am an Andrews Sisters fan but I never heard that song. I had to go to U-tube and there it was. I guess I need more Andrews Sisters records.

Phil

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 23 Jan 2019 02:48

Phil,

I really enjoy going to auctions and buying boxes of 78's and also 33 and an occasional 45. It is like Christmas as I clean them up. It is amazing what you find some time for a 5 buck box. As a matter of fact tonight I spun the following 78's.

Elvis Presley Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel & I Was the One. Then It was Artie Shaw & his Orch. with Helen Forest. finished off with Burl Ives and Riders in the Sky.

Cary

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Jan 2019 17:59

Hi Cary,

Good stuff! While I have a fair amount of Artie Shaw, I don't think I have any on 78. Some say that Helen Forest was the greatest of the big band singers. It may be and I like her a lot, but there were other great ones and Ella even fronted the Chick Webb band for a while after his passing.

Phil

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Feb 2019 04:51

Ok, while not currently playing at the moment, but since I was last active on this forum, these 8 records did manage to follow me home from a local thrift store and get listened to at least once. While a few are not in the greatest cosmetic condition, all where $1 ea and none had extreme wear or excessive surface noise. Most relevant info appears legible in photos aside from maybe artist Don Howard on the orange label
IMG_2029.JPG
(59 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
IMG_2030.JPG
(53.8 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
IMG_2037.JPG
(68.09 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
IMG_2039.JPG
(63.98 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Feb 2019 05:38

My oh my, Big B...You have an Elvis 78'? :shock: Someone else on here had asked about an Elvis 78'...

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=104853

Actually, I really dig that King Cole Trio stuff...Somewhere around here, I have one of those binders of King Cole Trio records that I got from a small antique shop, just to north of here in Metamora, Michigan...This was a few years back, mind you, but I've continued to collect the Nat King Cole stuff ever since! :D

As you can hear, it's really great stuff! 8)

Not vintage enough-sounding for you? Here...

That one's been remixed a few times, like this one...

Enjoy those! 8)

If I could find them, I love to come across a copy of "Lights Out" or "Just You, Just Me" on 78'...or my favorite Nat song, "(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons"..."It's Only A Paper Moon" is another one...

https://www.discogs.com/The-King-Cole-T ... se/2597759

Ah well...I guess I have something else to look for at the upcoming record shows... :wink:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 14 Feb 2019 05:05

Hi vinyl master,

The King Cole Trio was great. They may have been my first exposure to small group jazz as a kid. There was a 3D music short between the movie features. I believe they played Straighten Up and Fly Right. I was probably 8 to 10 years old and I was blown away.

Sorry for the lack of the 3D movie, but it is still great.

Nat Cole was one of the great piano players and even compared to Art Tatum. A lot of jazz purists were upset when he became a pop singer. I won't weigh in on that as he was great at that as well.

Sadly I don't think I have any King Cole Trio on 78, but I have plenty on CD.

Phil

vinyl master wrote:
13 Feb 2019 05:38
My oh my, Big B...You have an Elvis 78'? :shock: Someone else on here had asked about an Elvis 78'...

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=104853

Actually, I really dig that King Cole Trio stuff...Somewhere around here, I have one of those binders of King Cole Trio records that I got from a small antique shop, just to north of here in Metamora, Michigan...This was a few years back, mind you, but I've continued to collect the Nat King Cole stuff ever since! :D

As you can hear, it's really great stuff! 8)

Not vintage enough-sounding for you? Here...

That one's been remixed a few times, like this one...

Enjoy those! 8)

If I could find them, I love to come across a copy of "Lights Out" or "Just You, Just Me" on 78'...or my favorite Nat song, "(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons"..."It's Only A Paper Moon" is another one...

https://www.discogs.com/The-King-Cole-T ... se/2597759

Ah well...I guess I have something else to look for at the upcoming record shows... :wink:

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Feb 2019 14:42

I'll have to dig into my 78 collection someday as I've picked and won at auction several Nat King Cole and King Cole trio 78s over the years. As my mother and grandmother enjoy(ed) his music, It got played occasionally in my youth and became fairly familiar. I should have at least one other Elvis record, maybe more, I can't remember, but I never passed either artist up at a reasonable price. I'm just hoping no one residing here in the last few years had been getting into and mixing up my 4 alphabetized file bins for later 78s, weaseling out the treasures and\ or accidently cracking them as happened several years back with 3 of my early acoustic Christmas records in bin #5 . A nice handful of mostly rock LPs did go missing recently :twisted: :twisted: .

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Feb 2019 16:26

Too late to edit, so I'll post label photos on 8 more King Cole records I dug out of the file bins. Mona Lisa was my grandmothers favorite song. I actually have enough of Nat to fill one of those old 10 record binders, but the shelf is full and the bins & sleeves do a much better job of keeping the dust off.
IMG_2047.JPG
(37.94 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
IMG_2048.JPG
(38.39 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
IMG_2049.JPG
(41.46 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
IMG_2050.JPG
(43.03 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
And lets not forget the other King.
IMG_2052.JPG
(58.08 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Unfortunately the other side, "All Shook Up" has a bit more label damage from a changer.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Feb 2019 04:29

Nice stuff, B! Love all those Nat King Cole records...And even in it's worn state, a 78' copy of "All Shook Up" would be something to have! I mean, seeing as Elvis really "shook up" the establishment at the time! I have a smashed up copy (happened in transit from a seller on EBay) of the original "Good Rockin' Tonight" on 78' by Wynonie Harris...Even in that state, I'll keep it as I'm thinking of turning it into a clock, possibly, at some point... :-k

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Feb 2019 05:47

Hi vinyl master,

Take your broken record and peice it together with the song which you want facing down. Put some good readers on and when you are confident that the peices fit as well as you can get them apply methyl alcohol to the cracks with a fine syringe. Give it a few hours then carefully pick it and play the song which was facing down. Don’t count on playing the song which was facing up, but you may get lucky.

Phil

vinyl master wrote:
15 Feb 2019 04:29
Nice stuff, B! Love all those Nat King Cole records...And even in it's worn state, a 78' copy of "All Shook Up" would be something to have! I mean, seeing as Elvis really "shook up" the establishment at the time! I have a smashed up copy (happened in transit from a seller on EBay) of the original "Good Rockin' Tonight" on 78' by Wynonie Harris...Even in that state, I'll keep it as I'm thinking of turning it into a clock, possibly, at some point... :-k

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 Feb 2019 19:25

You can also use invisible Scotch brand tape on the cracks. It is removable so you can play the other side later. I find it also does not leave residue. Learned from Library of Congress years ago. This method is also good because you do have the opportunity of realignment if the ticks are too loud from slight misalignment. Always possible with me as my eyesight is catching up with my age.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 16 Feb 2019 02:12

Hi circularvibes,

+ 1. Solvent welding is commitment. Especially if both sides are of interiest the tape approach is probably the way to go.

Phil
circularvibes wrote:
15 Feb 2019 19:25
You can also use invisible Scotch brand tape on the cracks. It is removable so you can play the other side later. I find it also does not leave residue. Learned from Library of Congress years ago. This method is also good because you do have the opportunity of realignment if the ticks are too loud from slight misalignment. Always possible with me as my eyesight is catching up with my age.

Stevelocks3
England

Post by Stevelocks3 » 17 Feb 2019 18:38

Hi to All, I'm late to this conversation and have not had time to delve into my 78 collection for many years, but I have been rechecking my gear and have played a few discs on my GL78 deck with a Shure cartridge and oversize stylus fitted by Expert pickups dating from the '70s. Random discs included some 80rpm Columbias (GB), Holst conducting his Planets and Eric Coates conducting his own pieces, both probably recorded late 1920's. For contrast some 1950s material, Parlophone Jazz series, Humphrey Littleton and others, and Lonny Donegan the Skiffle King ( Cumberland Gap). Somewhere I have some US "cool jazz" from the period, maybe on Dial label. I have dozens of classical discs including nice box sets but most have been issued on good LP and CD transfers.
Back in the 1970's or 80's EMI pressed some vinyl 78s of historic vocal items previously unpublished and I have maybe 3 of these but not sure where; I recall a lovely Conchita Supervia singing an English song. Does anyone have details of these issues? Were they coarse groove or micro groove? Other Questions for the Knowledgable People. Did the big companies press shellac discs after 1955/6? My impression is that they published some popular material on both 78s and 45 vinyl.
I have a strobocope disc for 78rpm. Are there discs for 80rpm and other speeds?
Steve

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 17 Feb 2019 23:07

Hi Steve,

Good to have another fastspinner here.

I made a 78.26 / 80 RPM disc from what I found here: http://www.shellac.org/wams/wstrobe1.html

Hopefully Big B5515 will chime in here. I needed a disc for 160 RPM for a cylinder machine and he sent me the file or the picture. I don’t remember which, but it is cemented to the end of the mandrel and works great.

Phil