Post by BMRR » 22 Jan 2017 06:45

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Currently Playing — at 78 RPM

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Jan 2017 07:45

Hi BMRR,

I will definitely listen to these after the opera which I'm listening to on the radio (Carmen) is done.

I have been a huge Tatum fan since the late '50s when my beautiful and very hip cousin put me on to him. She was a grown up when I was still a kid. She and her husband actually heard Tatum live.

The odd thing is I have enough Tatum to listen for probably 2 weeks without repeating any on Lps and CDs, however until about a couple of years ago I had no 78s of him. I figured I had to correct that glaring gap and went to eBay and bought a four disc album on the ARA label called piano impressions.

After reading his biography more than ten years ago I learned that one of his major influences in addition to Fats Waller was a novelty pianist named Lee Sims. I had never heard him. a few years ago in a used book store I fell upon a single 78 RPM record of Lee Sims. Definitely I can hear the influence.

Thanks for this essential addition to the fast spinning forum.

Phil

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 22 Jan 2017 16:54

This was actually my first time hearing Art Tatum, if you can believe that! I wanted to test the 78 RPM speed on this new-to-me turntable, as well as the 3mil stylus I bought to go with it, but I don't own any 78s, so I called up a friend of mine who has a truly massive record collection and asked if he had any 78s. Sure enough he did, and this album was the one that he randomly pulled from the stacks.

I can now say that I am a very big fan of Mr. Tatum and his Trio. =D>

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Jan 2017 18:30

Hi BMRR,

Art Tatum left us in the mid '50s, so you don't get the chance to hear him all that often on the radio.

He was revered by most Jazz pianists of the day and even today. There is a story of Fats playing in a club when he saw Tatum enter. He announced "folks, I play a little piano but God is in the house tonight". There is an album (Lp) of that title on Onyx and I have it.

Here is another group piece from the '50s with Ben Webster which can put me into ecstasy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZZkOgtMyI

That is part of a Group Sessions box set on Pablo. There is also a Solo box set. Of course they are both marvelous.

Phil
BMRR wrote:This was actually my first time hearing Art Tatum, if you can believe that! I wanted to test the 78 RPM speed on this new-to-me turntable, as well as the 3mil stylus I bought to go with it, but I don't own any 78s, so I called up a friend of mine who has a truly massive record collection and asked if he had any 78s. Sure enough he did, and this album was the one that he randomly pulled from the stacks.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Jan 2017 18:32

Hi BMRR,

Art Tatum left us in the mid '50s, so you don't get the chance to hear him all that often on the radio.

He was revered by most Jazz pianists of the day and even today. There is a story of Fats playing in a club when he saw Tatum enter. He announced "folks, I play a little piano but God is in the house tonight". There is an album (Lp) of that title on Onyx and I have it.

Here is another group piece from the '50s with Ben Webster which can put me into ecstasy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZZkOgtMyI

That is part of a Group Sessions box set on Pablo. There is also a Solo box set. Of course they are both marvelous.

Phil
BMRR wrote:This was actually my first time hearing Art Tatum, if you can believe that! I wanted to test the 78 RPM speed on this new-to-me turntable, as well as the 3mil stylus I bought to go with it, but I don't own any 78s, so I called up a friend of mine who has a truly massive record collection and asked if he had any 78s. Sure enough he did, and this album was the one that he randomly pulled from the stacks.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 22 Jan 2017 18:38

What a wonderful recording, Phil! Thanks for sharing that. I always love hearing Red Callender on bass. He was a great tuba player, too — you can hear his tuba on many of Nat King Cole's sessions with Billy May.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 Jan 2017 01:08

Here is more Tatum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8aEOo8HhHE

While the cut on U-tube is from an Lp it is appropriate for this forum as it was recorded in a private house on a portable disc recorder. The dates were 1940 and 1941 so I'm pretty sure these were "direct to disc" 78 RPM recordings.

This is the GOD IS IN THE HOUSE album which I mentioned. It is the same as the album which I hold in my hand except mine is Onyx 205. The artwork looks the same.

The deal on this record is that it gives glimpse of a less reserved Tatum in an after hours setting. The title no doubt comes from Fats Waller granting Tatum deity status.

Phil

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 24 Jan 2017 14:04

Some Swing
Attachments
78rpm.jpg
(827.96 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times

Errol42

Post by Errol42 » 11 Feb 2017 20:57

So great to hear these wonderful Art Tatum records. Thanks for putting them on here. Regrettably I don't have such records nor such playback equipment, but hearing them here is a treat.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 14 Feb 2017 01:00

Hi Errol,

Good to see an other fan of arguably the greatest piano player of the twentieth century here.

Just to be sure you know: Tatum is very available on Lps and those shiny little discs as well.

I would even expect that there are downloads available. The Group sessions and the Solo sessions on Pablo from the mid '50s are essential in my view.

Phil
Errol42 wrote:So great to hear these wonderful Art Tatum records. Thanks for putting them on here. Regrettably I don't have such records nor such playback equipment, but hearing them here is a treat.

Errol42

Post by Errol42 » 14 Feb 2017 08:14

Thanks, Phil

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 15 Feb 2017 07:01

I see a DUAL pictured. Someone with a 3 speed DUAL asked me the other day if they needed a special stylus to play 78s.
I don't know for sure but I suggested they would given they predate 'microgroove' records. That raised the question of old MONO records and how one knows if they are pre or post microgroove and need a specific MONO stylus or not.