3 minute wonder
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Vogue Picture Disc

Post by Coffee Phil » 06 Feb 2017 23:18

Hi Howard,

I hope I didn't offend when I said this wasn't the Basie Band. It is good band which I think catered to the more pop tastes.

I read that Clyde McCoy invented some sort of a mechanical device to use with a Harmon mute to create the wah wah effect. Apparently the electronic wah wah pedal for guitars was inspired by McCoy's device and he collected royalties from that as well.

I get why an acoustic machine with steel needles can trash these records as far as noise and distortion, however the rumble is also pretty bad. This record looks good other than some small cracks near the spindle. I'm wondering if the vinyl is delaminating from the core.

I have shellac 78s which are sonically better that this record and vinyl 78 RPM records which will blow it away.

I will try again with another one.

Phil
howardpgh wrote:Vogue Picture discs play quite well if they haven't been played to death with a steel needle.
Clyde McCoy is quite a good band with his signature wah wah style trumpet playing.
The Sugar Blues is his theme song which he has recorded many times on many labels since the late 20s. I think I have it on a "Royal Blue" Columbia.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 04 Jul 2018 23:05

Big B5515 wrote:While I haven't been record shopping lately, this, my only Vogue record so far has been hanging around on the wall for almost 20 years, I think it turned up in an all for $10 box from a flea market or something.
IMG_1858.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
GrrrrrWoooow!! Side 2 is really HOT!
That means 'CoooooL' Dadyo

WOF49
United States of America

Post by WOF49 » 06 Jan 2019 06:49

Hey guys I"m new to this forum but want chime in on the Vogues. Over the last 10 Years I've come across 4 of them and there is not one of the that has great sound, even the one that looks mint. I really find that to be disappointing in that with my regular 78's I have some that look pretty thrashed but surprise me with their sound. One that comes to mind is a Fats Domino 78 that looks like it played in a sand box but still rocks me when I play it. When I get more time I'll post pics of my Vogues. Later

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 06 Jan 2019 17:40

Hi WOF49,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input. I won't be in a rush to seek out more Vogue records. I figured mine must have been an anomaly.

Most vinyl 78s which I have encountered, both standard groove and microgroove, have sounded very good. Columbia used a laminated process for shellac 78s in the late '30 and they sound pretty good. I don't know what is wrong with laminating vinyl with aluminum, but apparently Vogue got something wrong.

Phil
WOF49 wrote:
06 Jan 2019 06:49
Hey guys I"m new to this forum but want chime in on the Vogues. Over the last 10 Years I've come across 4 of them and there is not one of the that has great sound, even the one that looks mint. I really find that to be disappointing in that with my regular 78's I have some that look pretty thrashed but surprise me with their sound. One that comes to mind is a Fats Domino 78 that looks like it played in a sand box but still rocks me when I play it. When I get more time I'll post pics of my Vogues. Later

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 20 Jan 2019 21:39

Sometime back I got a few 78s. Some regular, a couple small ones and a couple even smaller ones (can't measure them because not sure where they are but the smallest ones are about the size of a CD and the larger ones are about the size of a 45). Then there were 2 picture discs.

https://i.ibb.co/DCpBwPy/Disques1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/7N54RGm/Disques2.jpg

I may already have shown them here but am not sure... The one on the right is a hard disc (like a shellac record but it's not) while the one on the left is flexible. Looking at the edge of the hard disc you can see what appears to be 3 layers, a thick center one and two very thin ones. The thin ones are the vinyl that the groove is cut into which makes me think it would not sound very good.

Still not set up for listening to them but I'm not sure I will try the hard disc. It has surface defects that I'm afraid would kill the needle on the 78 cartridge.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 24 Jan 2019 19:27

[album][/album]Hi VinyldechezPierrie,

Nice looking records. I believe the one with the young lady would scare me for fear of damage to my stylus. I would also fear putting it on an old acoustic machine as it may damage the look. At least it is a good decoration for the wall of the music room.

The thin vinyl should sound good if it is in good shape.

In the US during the teen years of the twentieth century we had single sided shellac records about the size of CDs. They were budget records which sold for ~ 15 cents when 10" 78s were ~ $1. The main label was Little Wonder but there were competitors. They played for ~ 2 minutes. For an tiny acoustic record with about as much music on each side as a 10" record I think they sound pretty good.

Phil

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 26 Jan 2019 09:04

Coffee Phil wrote:
24 Jan 2019 19:27
At least it is a good decoration for the wall of the music room.
Right. Especially since the black marks you can see on the girl's shoulder and sleeve in the first image are surface defects; they don't show on the second image but they are there too.

The groove seems continuous and fine but each mark is either a bump or a depression so that I would be scared to play it myself. :(

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 26 Jan 2019 09:44

Sorry to keep going off subject but here's a label I found that really surprised me.

https://i.ibb.co/FJtPrcV/78t-BHV.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/0YCwzPB/78t-BHV-etiquette.jpg

The Bazar de L'Hotel de Ville is a department store which seem to have had its own label. Better yet (you can see it on the second picture; the very last line), they even had their own orchestra...

Wonder if any US department store did that. Wouldn't be surprised but when I lived states side I wasn't interested in 78's.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 26 Jan 2019 19:00

Hi VinyldechezPierre,

If the groove is continuous, I have to believe my Shure M44 with a three mill stylus on my SME arm would play it. If necessary it could be played at 33 1/3 RPM, recorded and converted back to the proper speed in software.

I don't know if department stores had private record labels in the US, but I would not be too surprised if some did.

Phil
VinyldechezPierre wrote:
26 Jan 2019 09:04
Coffee Phil wrote:
24 Jan 2019 19:27
At least it is a good decoration for the wall of the music room.
Right. Especially since the black marks you can see on the girl's shoulder and sleeve in the first image are surface defects; they don't show on the second image but they are there too.

The groove seems continuous and fine but each mark is either a bump or a depression so that I would be scared to play it myself. :(

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 03 Feb 2019 10:27

Thanks for the posting. I had read about the 78rpm pic disks, but not seen them before. Nice artwork.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 03 Feb 2019 10:30

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
26 Jan 2019 09:44
...The Bazar de L'Hotel de Ville is a department store which seem to have had its own label. Better yet (you can see it on the second picture; the very last line), they even had their own orchestra...
I think it would be more probable that they hired a local orchestra to record the sides (it may have even been a house orchestra for a dancehall), and just published the records crediting them with a new name.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 03 Feb 2019 13:45

AudioFeline wrote:
03 Feb 2019 10:30
I think it would be more probable that they hired a local orchestra to record the sides (it may have even been a house orchestra for a dancehall), and just published the records crediting them with a new name.
You could be right but this department store, back then, was big time so who knows. I'll see if I can find some more info.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 03 Feb 2019 22:41

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
03 Feb 2019 13:45
AudioFeline wrote:
03 Feb 2019 10:30
You could be right but this department store, back then, was big time so who knows. I'll see if I can find some more info.
Yes, they were different times. It will be interesting to see if you find any info in your research.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 04 Feb 2019 09:49

AudioFeline wrote:
03 Feb 2019 22:41
It will be interesting to see if you find any info in your research.
So, just a quick search for now but it seems you are probably right.

J. S. Bach
United States of America

Post by J. S. Bach » 04 Feb 2019 20:38

Coffee Phil wrote:
26 Jan 2019 19:00
...snip... I don't know if department stores had private record labels in the US, but I would not be too surprised if some did.
Phil
Montgomery Ward had a label and I believe that Sears had a label (Silvertone?) also.