vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Vogue Picture Disc

Post by vinyl master » 04 Feb 2017 05:43

Here's another beauty for ya...

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 04 Feb 2017 06:17

vinyl master wrote:Here's another beauty for ya...

Is that yours? Or up for sale....

What little info I found about these, is that there are no solid records as to how many were pressed, and sold. I did find out that mine was the most made, and therefore, the least valuable! It doesn't matter...since I invest in silver, not shellac.

Happy tracking,
Rocky

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Feb 2017 06:21

Hi Rocky,

I'm pretty sure that you did post it and I saw it. I have no idea what happened to it. Because of your post I wasn't too surprised with the performance of my record.

These things are reputed to have been technically excellent. I wonder if I should keep trying to get a good one. Maybe I'll just by ones which are visually appealing to me and don't cost a fortune and hopefully I'll stumble onto a good sounding one.

Phil

Rocky_Road wrote:
Coffee Phil wrote:My Clyde McCoy Vogue record arrived.

As I expected the music is tolerable but as I said "sure not the Basie Band". The record looked pretty good other than a few cracks in the vinyl near the spindle hole. I played it with my GE RPX and since the record looks to be standard groove I used the 78 stylus. Since I do not have any published data on EQ I used 3180 Hz for treble cut and 300 Hz for bass turn.
The EQ seemed OK but the record is noisy and there is a fair bit of rumble. I switched to the Lp stylus and the noise seemed to be a bit less. It could be that the smaller stylus is contacting vinyl which was not ravaged by an acoustic pickup. I know Expert stylus makes styli for this sort of thing. Maybe a 2 mil stylus would be better.

I can't explain the rumble. Most shellac 78s are better than this. I'm guessing that the vinyl is starting to de-laminate from the picture. I see no visible evidence of this however.

I guess this is a historical artifact and something to hang on the wall in my stereo room. No regret buying it as it looks nice. I may buy the one which Big B showed for just the picture if nothing else. As I said it may be my age but I just love those ladies of that era.

Phil
I actually thought that I had posted my Vogue experience, but must have hit the wrong 'button'!

What I remember saying, is exactly what you just posted: lot's of surface noise...even though mine looked as 'mint' as you could picture. I was using my SHURE M78S cartridge, so I can't blame my setup.

Bottom line, is that I fall back on my expectations: it may not be a great band, and it may not play all that good...but it is a 'sweet' piece of record history, and I am happy to show it to incredulous visitors!

Happy tracking,
Rocky

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 04 Feb 2017 06:35

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Rocky,

I'm pretty sure that you did post it and I saw it. I have no idea what happened to it. Because of your post I wasn't too surprised with the performance of my record.

These things are reputed to have been technically excellent. I wonder if I should keep trying to get a good one. Maybe I'll just by ones which are visually appealing to me and don't cost a fortune and hopefully I'll stumble onto a good sounding one.

Phil

Rocky_Road wrote:

As I expected the music is tolerable but as I said "sure not the Basie Band". The record looked pretty good other than a few cracks in the vinyl near the spindle hole. I played it with my GE RPX and since the record looks to be standard groove I used the 78 stylus. Since I do not have any published data on EQ I used 3180 Hz for treble cut and 300 Hz for bass turn.
The EQ seemed OK but the record is noisy and there is a fair bit of rumble. I switched to the Lp stylus and the noise seemed to be a bit less. It could be that the smaller stylus is contacting vinyl which was not ravaged by an acoustic pickup. I know Expert stylus makes styli for this sort of thing. Maybe a 2 mil stylus would be better.

I can't explain the rumble. Most shellac 78s are better than this. I'm guessing that the vinyl is starting to de-laminate from the picture. I see no visible evidence of this however.

I guess this is a historical artifact and something to hang on the wall in my stereo room. No regret buying it as it looks nice. I may buy the one which Big B showed for just the picture if nothing else. As I said it may be my age but I just love those ladies of that era.

Phil
I actually thought that I had posted my Vogue experience, but must have hit the wrong 'button'!

What I remember saying, is exactly what you just posted: lot's of surface noise...even though mine looked as 'mint' as you could picture. I was using my SHURE M78S cartridge, so I can't blame my setup.

Bottom line, is that I fall back on my expectations: it may not be a great band, and it may not play all that good...but it is a 'sweet' piece of record history, and I am happy to show it to incredulous visitors!

Happy tracking,
Rocky
I consider my one, and only, to have been a bargain. I asked the seller to tell me if she had any others coming up for sale.

She did...but her new listing was for twice what I paid. I suspect she did some 'research', and figured out that I was charged too little!

I've got a nice one for my interest, and if I see another one that I like, I might own two.

But...I won't get too excited about how it sounds!

Take care,
Rocky

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Feb 2017 06:44

I just found one like Vinyl Master showed on eBay and am watching it.

Phil
Rocky_Road wrote:

Phil

Happy tracking,
Rocky
[/quote]

I consider my one, and only, to have been a bargain. I asked the seller to tell me if she had any others coming up for sale.

She did...but her new listing was for twice what I paid. I suspect she did some 'research', and figured out that I was charged too little!

I've got a nice one for my interest, and if I see another one that I like, I might own two.

Take care,
Rocky[/quote]

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Feb 2017 06:45

I just found one like Vinyl Master showed on eBay and am watching it.

Phil
Rocky_Road wrote:

Phil

Happy tracking,
Rocky
[/quote]

Take care,
Rocky[/quote]

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 04 Feb 2017 06:56

"I just found one like Vinyl Master showed on eBay and am watching it.

Phil"

Give me the eBay auction number, so I can watch it.

I promise not to bid on it!

Rocky

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Feb 2017 07:27

That was just a picture of it I'd seen...I might actually have that one buried in my collection somewhere, though I can't be sure...

By the way, "Blue Skies" came out a couple of times, with R726 and R733 being the catalog numbers...On one, it was backed with "Seville"...On another, "Rhapsody In Blue, Part II"...All tracks were performed by the The Hour Of Charm All-Girl Orchestra...

Here's a discography, if anyone's interested...

http://www.voguepicturerecords.org/disco.html

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 04 Feb 2017 07:36

vinyl master wrote:That was just a picture of it I'd seen...I might actually have that one buried in my collection somewhere, though I can't be sure...

By the way, "Blue Skies" came out a couple of times, with R726 and R733 being the catalog numbers...On one, it was backed with "Seville"...On another, "Rhapsody In Blue, Part II"...All tracks were performed by the The Hour Of Charm All-Girl Orchestra...

Here's a discography, if anyone's interested...

http://www.voguepicturerecords.org/disco.html
Thanks for the link!

You got me interested, and I found a set of R725 and R726 on eBay. I am a huge fan of Rhapsody in Blue, and these two have parts 1 and 2 on the "B" side. I will probably end up doing the "Buy It Now", although I sent an offer.

You could be the death of me....

Happy tracking,
Rocky

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Feb 2017 21:51

Hi Rocky,

It was a double record set with a book. Two of the sides were Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue.

He had it for $20 "Buy it now" The shipping was to be $4.50. I bid $15.50 which would have been $20 to my door. He rejected my bid and withdrew the offer so I can't even find it.

My guess is he figured it would go for more. I should have been willing to pay the shipping and given him the asking price when I saw it.

Oh Well.

Phil

PS: Sure enough, I think I'm right. Looks like he started looking on eBay and saw what they are going for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Vogue-Pictu ... Sw2xRYUV4U
Rocky_Road wrote:"I just found one like Vinyl Master showed on eBay and am watching it.

Phil"

Rocky

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 04 Feb 2017 22:20

It was a double record set with a book. Two of the sides were Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue.

He had it for $20 "Buy it now" The shipping was to be $4.50. I bid $15.50 which would have been $20 to my door. He rejected my bid and withdrew the offer so I can't even find it.

My guess is he figured it would go for more. I should have been willing to pay the shipping and given him the asking price when I saw it.

Oh Well.

Phil
Rocky_Road wrote:"I just found one like Vinyl Master showed on eBay and am watching it.

Phil"

Rocky
You know the saying: "you snooze...you lose!"

Anyone else selling the pair?

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Feb 2017 23:51

Yes that is the saying.

The records are indeed available and with the packaging, however not for $20 plus $4.50 shipping. Sometimes I'm to frugal for my own good.

The one which I linked above looks to have a bit better packaging, however with shipping it is sitting north of $50.

Phil
Rocky_Road wrote:

Oh Well.

Phil

Phil"

Rocky
You know the saying: "you snooze...you lose!"

Anyone else selling the pair?

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 05 Feb 2017 17:58

oops... thought the thread title was "Voyager" Picture disc... now that would be a cool LP to have!

Rocky_Road

Post by Rocky_Road » 05 Feb 2017 18:28

ginniegatrit wrote:oops... thought the thread title was "Voyager" Picture disc... now that would be a cool LP to have!
Tell me more about this...?

Happy tracking,
Rocky

howardpgh

Post by howardpgh » 06 Feb 2017 22:01

Vogue Picture discs play quite well if they haven't been played to death with a steel needle.
Clyde McCoy is quite a good band with his signature wah wah style trumpet playing.
The Sugar Blues is his theme song which he has recorded many times on many labels since the late 20s. I think I have it on a "Royal Blue" Columbia.