3 minute wonder
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Unusual 7" 78RPM record.

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Aug 2019 01:01

Hi Bob,

I may be mixing my budget record history. What I took away from it was that The Little Wonder folks and their competitors were selling records much cheaper than the mainstream companies and helped bring the price down to what common folk could afford.

Phil
Bob Dillon wrote:
20 Aug 2019 18:08
Coffee Phil wrote:
20 Aug 2019 05:15
High Hugh,

Good to hear from you!

I have not seen records like what you posted. Thanks for sharing!

Bob mentioned the Little Wonders which we had in the US from the late teen years to the early '20s.

I understand that they sold at news stands and drug stores. They were budget items selling for 15 cents while regular 10" 78s were ~ $1. They were one sided and of course acoustically recorded. The ones in my possession actually sound pretty good considering all that. There was competition from other labels such as Emerson.

Here is an example between a 45 and a CD for size comparison:

Phil

I have it that Little Wonders sold for 10 cents. They were sold through a number of department stores, including Woolworth's. Also sold at drug stores and dime stores and through mail order.

I don't know about them being sold on news stands. Maybe you're thinking of the cheap cardboard records like Hit-Of-The-Weeks that were sold on news stands during the Great Depression.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 22 Aug 2019 01:30

As far as mainstream, I'm pretty sure the Victor company maintained 75 cents for their black label records into the 1920's and the classical red seal (label) records at a dollar or more. So they didn't change. When Victor introduced the budget Bluebird line in the early 30's, priced at 35 cents, that was supposed to be a pretty drastic cut. There were a lot of smaller labels springing up in the late 'teens, maybe the competition to cut prices was more among them.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 Aug 2019 04:14

Hi Bob,

I think your knowledge on this history is better than mine so I will defer to what you say about this.

By the way the book which you linked in that constant velocity / constant amplitude war is proving to be interesting and enlightening to me. I did say that I was done talking on that subject unless more period literature surfaced, but time in the book which you shared is getting me to the point to where I may comment on insight which I think I have gained. I may even design and build a dedicated acoustic record phono stage. I have an acoustic record of Dvorak’s Humoresque #7 as a lullaby and I’m hoping to make the lyrics more intelligible.

Phil

Bob Dillon wrote:
22 Aug 2019 01:30
As far as mainstream, I'm pretty sure the Victor company maintained 75 cents for their black label records into the 1920's and the classical red seal (label) records at a dollar or more. So they didn't change. When Victor introduced the budget Bluebird line in the early 30's, priced at 35 cents, that was supposed to be a pretty drastic cut. There were a lot of smaller labels springing up in the late 'teens, maybe the competition to cut prices was more among them.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Aug 2019 20:23

Victor actually raised their price of 10" black label records to 85 cents in 1918. 12" black labels were $ 1.25.
Then they reverted back to 75 cents for the 10" a few years later.