How do you store loose 78's shellacs?

3 minute wonder
Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: How do you store loose 78's shellacs?

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 May 2019 20:56

circularvibes wrote:
15 May 2019 04:45
I refer to a side as one song. Cylinders do adhere to that standard. Edison payed his performers poorly from what I hear, but duplicating cylinders wasn't as easy as disc records. Columbia and Victor started the double sided disc at around the same time. They charged more for them too, even when the discs were pressed from two existing masters. Most sortcompanies followed suit after the big labels made the change to a two sided standard. The only labels I can remember holding onto single sided discs were Little Wonder up to about 1920 and Durium records such as Hit Of The Week series in the 1930's.
Victor kept their Red Seal discs single sided until, IIRC, 1923. Back in '08, Victor was reluctant to convert any records to double sided, but the success of Columbia with theirs forced Victor's hand. OK, thread drift over (again) ... :P

I've bought bulk lots of used 78 sleeves on e-bay before. It's not a bad way to get sleeves on the cheap.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 May 2019 02:04

circularvibes wrote:
15 May 2019 03:23

Books were an accessory not always thought of as necessary in the early days. The more affluent would have certainly bought them for their Caruso discs of course. Edison discs and Pathe discs were the exception as the makers knew the value of their recordings. Edison discs quite often had a sticker applied to denote the contents of the "container" as Tom called the sleeves.
Yes, there were these...

I have quite a few of these, too...

I will say that Bags Unlimited does have these, if anyone is interested...

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/ ... rd-jackets
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/ ... rd-binders

And I do have a box or two like this around here...

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3 ... pm-records

A few thoughts, in any case, FWIW... 8-[

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 16 May 2019 02:29

Those binders look nice, as well they should for 32 dollars each. :shock: That's real archival storage stuff there, for when you get that nice government grant to help house your collection.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 May 2019 02:44

Bob Dillon wrote:
16 May 2019 02:29
Those binders look nice, as well they should for 32 dollars each. :shock: That's real archival storage stuff there, for when you get that nice government grant to help house your collection.
Of course, the BU ones are newer...The other ones I've bought for practically nothing in the thrift stores, but it does help to keep them on shelves...Most of the ones I've found in the shops were on the floor or scattered around...If I find a vintage binder in nice shape, though, and the price is right, I'll keep it...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 16 May 2019 03:07

If one ever finds old albums with large letters on the spine like "A" "E" "G" or whatever, or ring pulls, those were part of a set that came with a floor standing Victor Victrola. They were made to sit in the lower part of the cabinet and organize your collection. Collectors now seek those, even pay decent money for a complete set in good shape. It's not that they may want to use them store records, but to complete the Victrola as it was originally. Often the album sets are missing.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 21 Aug 2019 04:06

Many retailers produced their own paper sleeves for 78's with advertising for their shop and products printed on it.