Elvis Presley; Can't help Falling in Love 78 rpm where to go

3 minute wonder
Skinhoj

Elvis Presley; Can't help Falling in Love 78 rpm where to go

Post by Skinhoj » 30 May 2018 15:47

Hey, I'm about to buy an old Polyphon Gramophone from like the 20's, and I'm trying to find some 78's to play on it, where I actually know the song. And the first one that came to my mind was Can't help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley. I love that song, so I wanted to buy it in 78 rpm. Seems reasonable since it's old enough to be made at 78 rpm.
Only problem is, that it's not easy to find that one. I can't find it anywhere exept one place, where they want freaking $400 for it.
So I thought to myself: This must be the perfect place to ask if anyone knows a good place to buy that record! It would mean a lot! Thanks!

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Elvis Presley; Can't help Falling in Love 78 rpm where t

Post by Spinner45 » 30 May 2018 16:36

Regarding 78RPM records and vintage machines to play them on...
You mentioned a 1920's machine, and a 1950's 78RPM recording.
That is NOT a good idea.

1940's, 1950's 78's are not compatable to play on "steel needle" windup machines.
The grooves are different, and better to play them on "electric" machines with a 3 mil jewel stylus.

Skinhoj

Post by Skinhoj » 30 May 2018 20:28

Really?! There’s a difference in that too?
How would I know the difference, so that I buy the right ones?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 30 May 2018 21:11

Skinhoj wrote:Really?! There’s a difference in that too?
How would I know the difference, so that I buy the right ones?
I'm not a 78RPM fan, so I cannot go into detail about the differences.
I read it somewhere on an "antique" victrola website a while back.

It has to do mainly with the actual age of the recording, and the material the record is made from.
Apparently, in the 1950's I suppose, they used a more "flexible" material than the shellac from the 20's and 30's, and the wartime 1940's materials.
Also, the heavier tonearms from the crank machines as opposed to the lighter electric machines.
Do some research online, you might find it.

macshifi

Post by macshifi » 30 May 2018 21:39

I would first suggest locating a 45 RPM version of this song and using a more modern record player, as I'm not sure this song wasn't issued on 78 RPM here in the United States. I do know that I have it in an 8 LP box set that I bought in 1990 at Rose Records in Champaign, IL. While I realize you aren't located in the U.S., the 45 might be easier for you to locate.

Mark

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 May 2018 21:45

Another thought would be to buy an old gramophone for the early recordings and buy something like a 4-speed Dual, Garrard or Elac to play the later ones from the 50's, if you really want to get into 78's! =D> Something like that would also be good for 45's, LP's and 16-inch transcription records, if you find any! :D

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 30 May 2018 22:43

Hi Skinhoj,

I will encourage you to get one of those old machines however as others have suggested a 78 of the '50 probably should not be played on it. Some of the 78s of post WW2 vintage may be vinyl which for sure will not stand up the the heavy soundbox of one of those acoustic machines. Even shellac of that vintage is of a different composition than the records of the early 20th century. Pickups were getting more gentle so the composition of records reflected that to get less noise but were likely less able to stand up to the early machines.

I suggest that you get period records for your acoustic machine and even if any of those seam pristine think hard about playing them on the acoustic machine. A changer of the '50s or '60s with a three mil stylus would be a better choice for the Elvis record.

Phil

Skinhoj wrote:Hey, I'm about to buy an old Polyphon Gramophone from like the 20's, and I'm trying to find some 78's to play on it, where I actually know the song. And the first one that came to my mind was Can't help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley. I love that song, so I wanted to buy it in 78 rpm. Seems reasonable since it's old enough to be made at 78 rpm.
Only problem is, that it's not easy to find that one. I can't find it anywhere exept one place, where they want freaking $400 for it.
So I thought to myself: This must be the perfect place to ask if anyone knows a good place to buy that record! It would mean a lot! Thanks!

62vauxhall

Re: Elvis Presley; Can't help Falling in Love 78 rpm where to go

Post by 62vauxhall » 10 Feb 2019 17:00

I've been home the last couple of weeks waiting for a surgery to heal. To amuse myself last week, I listened to a stack of Elvis 78's (including that Falling in Love one) and was amazed again at how good those recordings can sound. Also amazed because some of them look like hell even though they've been cleaned.

When I was little in the 50's, my grandmother bought me a kiddie record player that only played 78's. It had an electric motor but no amplifier - the articulated tonearm had a round metal diaphragm and used steel needles. A cousin, 15 years older, "upgraded" to 45's and gave me all his rock & roll 78's which I played on that thing I had. Eventually that same cousin gave me his old turntable (a Garrard in a fruit box base), his amplifier (tube of some kind) and another fruit box with what was probably an 8" speaker inside.

The grooves of those rock & roll 78's he gave me earlier were all gouged to s**t thanks to those steel needles I was playing them with.

The grandmother who gave me that record player (or more accurately phonograph), would also give me 78's from time to time that she bought at 2nd hand stores. Such toe tappers like Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground. Probably from the 1920's when steel needles were the norm so their grooves were not damaged to the extent of those made 30 years later.

The 78's I have now are more recent acquisitions. Those I mentioned earlier went missing in action decades ago.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Feb 2019 15:19

I've on rare occasion found Elvis, or other highly collectable 78s at thrift stores, etc for $1 or less, but I would still think twice about playing one that wasn't damaged, or already sounding about worn out with a steel needle. I do keep a lot of damaged and worn records for just this purpose, as not to degrade the good copy. A later record also generally sounds better with a soft tone steel needle.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 05 Mar 2019 00:50

That song is from 1961. Wouldn't have been issued on 78 in the U.S.A. Someone from B.C. is saying they have a copy. I could believe that, because 78's hung on a little longer in Canada and the U.K.

Since it's Elvis and that tune rare on 78, expect to pay some coin for it, if bought it from knowledgable dealer. These days, even trashed copies of his common 78 rpm RCA sides from 1956-57 are going for 20-30 dollars.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 05 Mar 2019 01:28

Canada did keep 78's until the early 60's, but not the major labels like RCA. They were typically on Quality Records or Apex. Britain did keep 78, but mostly in broadcast discs like sound effects discs pressed on shellac and vinyl. Most major labels in Canada had stopped by 1959. India, the Phillipines and South America still had 78's into the late sixties. Some go for hundreds of bux in pitiful shape, like the Beatles with singles right up to the Rubber Soul album at least.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 05 Mar 2019 05:50

That is a vinyl 78 from the 80's issued in a box set. Rhino records made a few sets as well. Some were stereo.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 05 Mar 2019 18:23

This is a nice PDF listing post 78 era 78's : http://www.78rpm.net.nz/78s/late78s/Lat ... ecords.pdf

I have some of those Rhino 78's, minus the boxes. Mine are all mono, but none go after about 1960 either. I believe those sets covered material from well into the 60's.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 12 May 2019 07:36

circularvibes wrote:
05 Mar 2019 05:50
That is a vinyl 78 from the 80's issued in a box set. Rhino records made a few sets as well. Some were stereo.
You will find that modern pressed 78's (like the quoted item and the record store day releases) are designed to be played with a modern microgroove stylus, not 78 styli, and certainly not a old gramophone with a steel needle.

Elvis 78s are harder to find, as he has a big collector fan base. Many of these popular 78s are damaged, the good quality disks tend to sell for a good price. Never let these more recent 78s touch an old grammophone. As stated, only early 78s can be played on them.

If you have an old grammophone, by all means enjoy non-valuable 78s on it. For any more valuable or post 1920's disks, play them on a modern turntable with a 78 styli.

And if you are tempted to clean the 78's NEVER use a solution with alcohol (like solutions for cleaning vinyl records). The alcohol will dissolve the shellac. Just use water with a very mild dilute detergent.