Just found this Victor in my pile last night and gave it ...

3 minute wonder
J. S. Bach
United States of America

Just found this Victor in my pile last night and gave it ...

Post by J. S. Bach » 27 Feb 2018 22:59

...a spin this morning. Based on the copyright dates on the label, I think that this one is from around 1910 or so. Note that the spinner is not turning as I set the speed +/- to +7.8% for looks, I normally spin them with 0%. I got cheated, there is nothing on the other side!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
100_9434-01.jpg
(690.88 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Attachments
100_9435.JPG
(847.04 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Just found this Victor in my pile last night and gave it

Post by Coffee Phil » 28 Feb 2018 18:33

Hi J. S. Bach,

I think one sided records were fairly common in the early twentieth century. I have one with the Irish Tenor John McCormick on Victor (or Victrola).

[img]21267[/img]

Here is the back:

[img]21268[/img]

For a acoustic record cut in ~ 1915 this sounds pretty good. I think constant amplitude EQ is correct for this record, but a bass turn of 300 to 500 Hz sounds better. Actually RIAA EQ sounds pretty good with this record.

There were other one sided records. Little Wonders are the first to come to my mind. They were budget records which sold at news stands for ~ 15 cents while regular 78s were about $1.
Little Wonder also had competition such as Emerson. Here is a Little Wonder shown between a 45 and a CD for size comparison:

[img]30123[/img]

Phil

J. S. Bach wrote:...a spin this morning. Based on the copyright dates on the label, I think that this one is from around 1910 or so. Note that the spinner is not turning as I set the speed +/- to +7.8% for looks, I normally spin them with 0%. I got cheated, there is nothing on the other side!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
100_9434-01.jpg

howardpgh

Post by howardpgh » 28 Feb 2018 21:41

Your record was probably recorded in 1904. Judging by the label, this looks like a later pressing. That song was probably in the Victor catalog for a long time.

J. S. Bach
United States of America

Post by J. S. Bach » 01 Mar 2018 01:51

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi J. S. Bach,
I think one sided records were fairly common in the early twentieth century. I have one with the Irish Tenor John McCormick on Victor (or Victrola).
I have quite a few single-sided Victors, some with other color labels; purple pops into mind here. A few have that fancy back.

Coffee Phil wrote: There were other one sided records. Little Wonders are the first to come to my mind. They were budget records which sold at news stands for ~ 15 cents while regular 78s were about $1.Phil
I have a couple those Little Wonder records somewhere; I remember that they would trip the brake too soon on the Victrola whenever I tried to spin them.

J. S. Bach
United States of America

Post by J. S. Bach » 01 Mar 2018 02:17

howardpgh wrote:Your record was probably recorded in 1904. Judging by the label, this looks like a later pressing. That song was probably in the Victor catalog for a long time.
Interesting information, thank you.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 02 Mar 2018 04:52

Hi J. S. Bach,

I'm thinking Victor may have color coded the labels by musical genre. RCA which bought Victor used red on classical records and called them "Red Seals". When they developed the 45 format, they actually had visions of it being a classical format as well as pop. They color coded 45s by genre in the early days of the format.

Phil
J. S. Bach wrote:
Coffee Phil wrote:Hi J. S. Bach,
I have quite a few single-sided Victors, some with other color labels; purple pops into mind here. A few have that fancy back.

Coffee Phil wrote: There were other one sided records. Little Wonders are the first to come to my mind. They were budget records which sold at news stands for ~ 15 cents while regular 78s were about $1.Phil
I have a couple those Little Wonder records somewhere; I remember that they would trip the brake too soon on the Victrola whenever I tried to spin them.

howardpgh

Post by howardpgh » 02 Mar 2018 21:38

For Victor single side records color:
Red = Top tier classical and opera artists
Purple= 2nd tier artists, light classical and opera/operetta, top line stage actors, very popular performers (ie Harry Lauder).
Black= Popular music and popular artists.
2 side Victor Purple turns to Blue

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Mar 2018 22:56

Hi Howardpgh,

Thanks for confirming my guess and giving us the color code.

Phil
howardpgh wrote:For Victor single side records color:
Red = Top tier classical and opera artists
Purple= 2nd tier artists, light classical and opera/operetta, top line stage actors, very popular performers (ie Harry Lauder).
Black= Popular music and popular artists.
2 side Victor Purple turns to Blue

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Just found this Victor in my pile last night and gave it ...

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Mar 2019 02:11

Victor also had a green label for things like educational, language records, etc. Not encountered that often.

Depending on the take number, which is found in the deadwax, that Sousa Band record was recorded in 1903 or 1904. There were three takes issued with same catalog # 1172. 1 take in '03 and 2 takes in '04.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Just found this Victor in my pile last night and gave it ...

Post by vinyl master » 06 Mar 2019 02:35

Nice! I've got one of those Victors, too...and a few Little Wonder records, as well...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Mar 2019 02:44

howardpgh wrote:
28 Feb 2018 21:41
Your record was probably recorded in 1904. Judging by the label, this looks like a later pressing. That song was probably in the Victor catalog for a long time.
Yes, it's a Patents label Victor, which began in 1908. '08 is also the time of the start of the conversion from single sided to double sided records, a move that was kicked off by Columbia records, and their 'Double-Disc' (two sided) records, forcing Victor to follow suit. The thread starter says that theirs in a single sided pressing, so it would be on the cusp of the conversion. There could be a pressing of Heart and Flowers that was coupled with another matrix on the other side at some point, but I don't think so. I think it was withdrawn from the catalog.