Currently Playing — at 78 RPM

3 minute wonder
Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Currently Playing — at 78 RPM

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Sep 2019 18:57

I had the old RCA Victor LP of that El Amor Brujo years ago. I may still have it. It was tranferred from 78's. I used to play a lot for awhile. Yeah, Nan Merriman really got it in that particular recording.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 30 Sep 2019 04:50

Yo Bob Dillon:

You are right about the LP, which I also have. It was transferred from 78s, and not a good transfer, way rolled off at the high end. I prefer the 78s. Merriman recorded it again under Stokowski in 1948 for a radio broadcast, which disappeared for a long time until it was resurrected by Pristine Audio. This time it was the New York Philharmonic orchestra, a much bigger and looser aggregation. Merriman was good, but the orchestra was loose and lumpy. Stokowski also did a recording in 1959, this time with Shirley Verrett, but this performance is still not as good as the 1946 Hollywood Bowl performance. Verrett, unfortunately, was left having to take a breath in the middle of a word in a place where Merriman just glided right through. As far as I am concerned, Merriman sill owns El Amor Brujo with the 1946 performance, even after 74 years.

Good luck from the old Nan Merriman fan,

Joe Z.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 30 Sep 2019 18:02

I'd like to rekindle a search for the 78 set. Last time I even thought about it was probably 20 years ago, before e-bay. I see Dutton Labs has a CD out but I haven't been a fan of their approach when it comes to 78 rpm stuff. If it was reissued on Naxos Historical then it'd be an automatic purchase.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 30 Sep 2019 19:24

There's a copy of the 78 set on e-bay that's been listed since April 13. 15 bucks but the records look a little scuffed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FALLA-El-Amor- ... 6&LH_BIN=1

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 30 Sep 2019 23:13

Yo Bob Dillon:

I don't like the Dutton transfer either. My best conjecture is that they started with a noisy 78 RPM copy, and then they really hammered it with noise reduction software. The result was that all the frequencies in the 2kHz area were left sounding "squishy" and out of phase. The original was done in the RCA fashion with a really dry acoustic so you could hear everything, and the rhythms came through with great precision. Dutton added a bunch of artificial reverb, which caused the rhythms to be obscured.

I reviewed Dutton's transfer on Amazon, not favorably for sound. However, despite my comments on the sound, I do give kudos to Dutton for their excellent liner notes, from which I obtained the info about the white dress and Merriman's story about going to the prior record to decide to perform it.

I have transferred my 78 RPM copy to CD. I think it's pretty good, if a little noisy. Like pretty much all 78s except for the very few produced after the advent of RIAA equalization in 1955, there is just about nothing above 5 kHz. If you PM me with your address, I will ship you a copy of my CD, but you must give me your comments.

And good luck from the old plagiarizer of liner notes,

Joe Z. f

mvno_subscriber
Norway

Post by mvno_subscriber » 01 Dec 2019 18:50

Currently playing:
1A53C0CF-F414-4C8A-9294-3FEAB42474EC.jpeg
(89.98 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
It's "Under the palm trees" by "Jolly's Hawaii orchestra" from 1935. I picked it up randomly in a thrift store and right now it really hit the spot. Gone on repeat today :oops:

uem

Post by uem » 03 Dec 2019 20:53

I'm contributing to this Swiss-based site:

https://sfpd.cultlib.ch/en/index.html

Regards
Urs

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Dec 2019 01:54

Started on playing my latest finds. Began with these 9 diamond discs which all played without issue, except the most dished of the bunch, Li'l Lisa Jane one step which has a hung groove at beginning.
download/file.php?id=70223
(Record numbers for reference 50404, 50455, 50465, 50469, 50584, 50678, 51498, 51674, 51707)
Followed with these Gene Autry, picture sleeved Christmas, and other children's selections, and finally the 5 Earnest Tub selections. (Earnest's So Many Times is in both pics)
download/file.php?id=70232
IMG_2320.JPG
(152.12 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
While all played without issue, or excessive surface noise, Genes Rudolph & Frosty records had more significant wear and Davy Crocket has a pressing defect causing significant wow and tonearm wiggle.
The sides not shown in last picture are (left to right); When Santa Claus Gets Your Letter, My Mother Must Have Been A Girl Like You, Fortunes in Memories, No help Wanted #2, My Wasted Past, and Jealous Loving Heart.

Now that Earnest is out of the way, next mystery to explore is 11 promotional selections by or with Jimmy Wakely? :-k

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 14 Dec 2019 23:38

Gave those selections by Jimmy Wakely (many accompined by Maragret Whiting) a spin today. Some of the cleanest sounding 78's Ive ever heard in this batch, many have almost no surface noise other than a few pops and ticks, and very few sound to have ever been played with a steel needle.
IMG_2321.JPG
(144.83 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Click picture to enlarge print, flip sides are (left to right); Lets Go To Church, Home Town Rag, I Don't Have To Die To Go To Heaven, Beyond The Reef, Silver Bells, Let's Go To Church, When You And I Were Young Maggie Blues, Old Soldiers Never Die (cracked), Don't Be Lonely, Another Fool Steps In, I Don't Want To Be Free
A couple like Christmas Candy had some degradation in sound quality from repeated playing, and most needed a good cleaning, but only one, I Like The Wide Open Spaces, has a hairline crack which was still too tight to hear during playback.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 15 Dec 2019 23:04

I made it through 3 more artists from that box, more good old country music with Red River Dave, Jimmy Dale, and Johnny Bond, and even the two damaged ones, (red and green labels on corners) played cleanly, and well without skips, or intolerable pops and clicks. some good selections so far, and barely half way through, I rather liked some of Johnny and Jimmy's selections
IMG_2322.JPG
(134.88 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Flip sides.
Red River Dave; Someday (you'll want me to want you), I'd Rather Die For My country (than live with my wife)
Jimmy Dale; Tennessee Ghost Train, Slipping Around, If I Could Change My Heart
Johnny Bond; Sad Sad And Blue, I Can't Hide The Tears, Take It Or Leave It Baby, John's Other Wife

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 Dec 2019 23:39

Hey BigB! I love your recent finds. I haven't seen a playable Edison disc for sale near me in a long time. Those Country records are keepers too. I see them sometimes at records shows but I'd buy one or two for what you paid for the box. Glad you are getting enjoyment from them. BTW, do any of the promos play as center start? A long time ago I saw a promo film that showed the DJ cueing by starting the record at the center and talking until the music started. I have never come across promos like that in my travels.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 15 Dec 2019 23:49

I haven't found any center start records yet, but there are still several more promos to check. A few are very thin & flexible, and there is one damaged (likely partially playable) lacquer recording disc in the bunch.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Dec 2019 00:22

And just so you know, B...Johnny Bond formed a trio with Jimmy Wakely and Scotty Harrell called the Bell Boys Trio...Later, they performed as The Jimmy Wakely Trio for Decca Records and at the same time, Johnny Bond & The Cimarron Boys for Columbia, at a time when it was rare for an act to be on two different labels at the same time! And as it relates to Gene Autry, the Wakely Trio joined Gene's "Melody Ranch" program in Mid-1940...After awhile, Jimmy Wakely left to pursue acting, but Johnny Bond stayed on for most of the rest of the show's run, until it ceased airing in 1956. Johnny's biggest hits were "Ten Little Bottles" and "Divorce ME C.O.D.". On the other hand, Jimmy Wakely's biggest hits included "Slippin' Around" and "One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart)".

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 16 Dec 2019 00:37

circularvibes wrote:
15 Dec 2019 23:39
I have never come across promos like that in my travels.
Nor have I. Promos can be the only way to get non shellac prssings on 78. Last one I bought was a Frank Sinatra Capitol white label promo from 1953, it's pressed on a rather thick but flexible vinyl-y material. Except in a few rare cases I haven't seen any purple label Capitol pop 78's that aren't shellac. I saw a Nat King Cole purple label once that was pressed on a flexible plasticy material but it was fairly wrecked. I have Capitol 78's as late as 1957 that are shellac and '57 was about the end of the line for the majors producing 78's in the U.S.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 16 Dec 2019 02:56

This one truly saddens me, as it is partially unplayable on both sides and may be the only example, beautifully done old time country selections by Warren Valli, A Million Tears, and How Can I Live :(
IMG_2323.JPG
(46.6 KiB) Downloaded 6 times