Prefer 45's to LP's?

jukebox jury
Retro Supply Store

Re: Prefer 45's to LP's?

Post by Retro Supply Store » 26 May 2016 20:29

I'm another happy jukebox owner. I was concerned about the chance of damaging records, it took a while for me to trust mine, especially as I restored it myself and it was the first one I had ever done! I have not actually encountered any problems, it has never audibly scratched a record, at worst hairline handling marks, and its not caused any groove wear (which I have a keen ear for). Increase in surface noise seems minimal, a 'new old stock' record I loaded still sounds and looks fresh after 20 plays on the counter. That is good enough for me, because I know there is no chance I would have played it 20 times using a manual turntable! Enjoying playing the records is more than outweighing the fear of damage now. Also the other bonus, I enjoy the sound, its not hifi but lets face it, neither was the recording quality of most pre 1970s singles. Some do sound better on a 'real' turntable, but lots dont, including plenty of rock n roll records which I didnt even think I liked until I heard them on a jukebox!

I suspect horror stories would be from jukeboxes with damaged stylus or broken mechanisms, if it's cared for I dont see how you would get serious problems.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 May 2016 20:59

What kind of jukebox do you have, and what phono cartridge are you using in it?

Retro Supply Store

Post by Retro Supply Store » 26 May 2016 21:10

It is a Seeburg HF100G from 1953, The cartridge is from a newer Seeburg and is a custom job I bought from America. (The original cartridge takes stylus that are not very kind to stereo records, although the mono ones sounded slightly better with it)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 May 2016 06:29

Retro Supply Store wrote:It is a Seeburg HF100G from 1953, The cartridge is from a newer Seeburg and is a custom job I bought from America. (The original cartridge takes stylus that are not very kind to stereo records, although the mono ones sounded slightly better with it)
Sounds cool, Retro... 8) I'd love to see a picture of this! =P~

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 27 May 2016 08:53

I too would love to see a few pictures of your Jukebox please post some. You are in hallowed company I have seem many musicians from the 60s who say that the only way to
listen to 45s is a jukebox...Ringo Starr is one.

Personally I have two turntables a Linn Basik set up for 33 LPs and a Dual 1225 set up optomally for 45s with a spherical stylus and a Dual DMS 210 Cartridge. The Dual can be used as an auto and that suits 45 use.

Retro Supply Store

Post by Retro Supply Store » 27 May 2016 15:18

Thanks for comments. I bought it out of an auction house in 'barn find' condition, the idea was to restore it and sell on, but as soon as I got it working enough to play a record I realised that was not going to happen - not unless I come across something nicer and thats unlikely.

Ive not over restored it, I don't mind it looking old and kept it as original as I could. I spent most of time and money getting it to sound right, recapped amp, new tubes etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDwoQN6Oxrd/

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 14 Apr 2018 10:02

And to stirr up this thread a bit.....

I grew up in the 60's, and started with 45's. I was allowed' to play my singles on my parents record player, until I bought my own player. I then went over to LP's, and collected about 2000 albums over the years. When CD's came into fashion,like many of us, I gradually changed to collecting CD's.

Not the sheer difference in quality, but the fact that you could listen to 70+ minutes on end, and less storage space, made me go over. Over the years I bought all my old favorite LP's in CD-form, and the LP's were then stored in the attic.

Years later I sold most of my LP's in one go, and I kept about 25 of them.

No idea why, but at a certain moment I remembered I started off with singles. So I started collecting them again. First the ones I had in the 60's, and later the 70's, early 80's.

I shared the hobby of collecting singles with my mother in law, who had a lot of late 50's. When she passed away her collection was given to us. Some of her singles are also in my collection, so it is great to have the two 'connected'.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 15 Apr 2018 18:23

Always did and always will favored 45's. As a youngster/beginner LP's are great to train the ear and it's taste buds. Only after a while, I found that most LP's do tend to get "lengthy" and the fact that to associate one song with the expected following one makes this association "uncreative". Too easy became uncomfortable to me.

So I started to select and play that particular song from that LP then that one from the other one... Down on to the singles crate digging I got to discover many small acts that didn't got on LP's. And with all those "obscure" 45's you start to roll the combinations of your selections and get to hear them under another "light" in association.

Finally with the proper phono set-up, you get the best juice out of your beloved 45's and playing back some LP's on the then "upgraded" phono makes suddenly some of those LP's sound "weak". Mind you not all of them but some of the major record companies in the sixties where messing up with the STEREO and that killed the dynamic before they got to master them better some time later.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 17 Jul 2019 19:03

I like both LP's and 45's. 7 inch singles are good if you only really like one song from a band, or artist. LP's are good if you really like a band or artist. There's really no point in having a album that you only like one, or a few songs on it. 45's are played best on a changer, that way you don't have to keep getting up to change the record; but that, too can be fun!!