Prefer 45's to LP's?

jukebox jury
southpark

Prefer 45's to LP's?

Post by southpark » 20 Oct 2015 21:47

I own both but I especially adore my 45's. Mainly because there are so many great singles compared to great albums. Plus I often buy singles by bands I don't even like but they happen to have released one single I did like. You have to like an artist quite a bit before you shell out on an album by them which usually ends up with a load of filler.

That's why my LP collection tends to be made up of just a small amount of artists I'm mad keen on.

And it's also probably due to my poor attention span. :D

LP's are for hippies. :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Prefer 45's to LP's?

Post by vinyl master » 21 Oct 2015 04:00

I happen to absolutely love my 45's, too...8,000 of them, my friend! You wanna see some? Check out this thread I created...Lots of them here from my private collection, as well as a few others' collections...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=72642

If you've got any rare, unusual, or just all-time favorite 45's, why not add them to my thread... :D

What I'd really like to know is how many you have, and how are you storing them...My best friend has over 5,000 of the little buggers...Take a look at these recent pictures of his record room he sent me, complete with tons of 45 rpm picture sleeves...I hope they inspire you, and all the other 45' lovers out there...

If that doesn't make you ooh and aah, I don't know what will... =P~

I wrote more about it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 8&start=75

and here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 53&t=81103

Tom-Brown

Post by Tom-Brown » 10 Dec 2015 22:21

Sorry, but life is too short!! I like to sit and listen to music, not keep getting up and down every 3 minutes to change a record :) :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Dec 2015 04:30

Tom-Brown wrote:Sorry, but life is too short!! I like to sit and listen to music, not keep getting up and down every 3 minutes to change a record :) :)
Or you buy a nice changer, throw several old beat up 45's on it, and let the changer do the work! :wink:

Can be a fun exercise with the right changer... :-k

Of course, LP's can just be more fun...Reminds me of a story I heard about Jack White...When he ran an upholstery shop here in Detroit, he would often have Patti Page's "Greatest Hits" playing, while he worked on a chair...He'd know that the 30 minutes were up, when the horns of "Conquest", the last track on the album, would start playing...he knew that it was close to when he'd have to take a break, flip the record over, and play the other side...He loved that song so much that he ended up recording it as a White Stripes song later on...He even recounted the story here to the "Singing Rage" herself...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/mus ... hite_N.htm

The coolest thing about owning an upholstery shop and having a band, though... :-k Every so often, Jack would throw a copy of one of his band's 45's into a chair he was working on...So somewhere out there, some local Detroiters may have a signature Jack White piece of memorabilia in more ways than one! 8)

Tom-Brown

Post by Tom-Brown » 11 Dec 2015 09:16

That's a great story, and yes I do own some 45's and try and keep them in the mint condition that I found them :) I couldn't bear to put a few onto a changer though!! A friend of mine has just filled his Seeburg juke box with Ep's so he has effectively doubled the number of songs - great idea :)

rbnjr

Post by rbnjr » 19 Mar 2016 13:18

Have you tried to rip this music to file using a korg machine and make a custom playlist of all your music to be played in the car. seems like singles would be
the way to make your best list. if the condition of the vinyl is good, should sound
pretty darn good. :)

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 19 Mar 2016 16:40

Im not an album person either. I found the best changer to put my minty 45s on, and I usually just enjoy my singles. I also enjoy a mass of 12" singles. I cant deal with albums of songs I dont like.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 20 Mar 2016 16:04

Technics made some really high quality record changers that were just as good as their single-play turntables. These are still pretty easy to find, tend not to cost very much, and because they're Technics they're very reliable. I think if I had a big collection of 45s or 12" singles that's what I'd want.

The direct drive ones are particularly great and super reliable:

SL-1350
SL-1650
SL-1950
SL-3350
SL-5350
SL-D5
SL-D500

Some of those are even quartz speed controlled.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Apr 2016 12:36

southpark wrote:...I often buy singles by bands I don't even like but they happen to have released one single I did like...

LP's are for hippies. :lol:
I guess I'm a hippy. :D

Although I understand your approach with bands you don't particularly like, I definitely prefer albums. But I do really enjoy my few Maxi 45s.

Call it old-timer convenience but flipping a record or changing one every few minutes just isn't my thing. Even the record changers mentionned here don't make me want to get into 45s. Maybe if there was a player like the 2-300 CD decks of not so long ago...

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 05 Apr 2016 12:52

VinyldechezPierre wrote:Call it old-timer convenience but flipping a record or changing one every few minutes just isn't my thing. Even the record changers mentionned here don't make me want to get into 45s. Maybe if there was a player like the 2-300 CD decks of not so long ago...
Ever heard of a Jukebox? ;-) :D

Take a look here.

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 05 Apr 2016 13:06

I found this interesting.....For a long time I was a 45s collector and had a great collect ( some of which was lost to divorce but, hey ho!) anyway, I have a totally maual record deck. I even have to take the platter off to change the belt position to play 45s.Now I did make the effort to play them but, this extra work did cut down how often I did it.

A few days ago, I was given a nice linear tracking compact deck a Philips FP 440. Now this needed a bit of work but, to my surprise, it cleaned up beautifully......It is fully automatic and will even sense the size of the record you place in it. I decided to dedicate it to playing 7 inch 45s and have I had fun. It has really brough the joy of 45s back and they sound great in this turntable. Its cool too, it is front loading all you do is load the single and press the button.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Apr 2016 18:45

Tonybro wrote:
Ever heard of a Jukebox? ;-) :D
Yes I have but, although beautiful, they are big (I just don't have the room for one) and I'm not so sure about them not destroying records.

And let's not even talk about the number of 33s I can get for the cost of a nice jukebox :lol:

Lowlander2

Post by Lowlander2 » 12 Apr 2016 18:23

I prefer 45s - as in 12 inch singles - to LPs, and very much so. I don't bother changing records every 5 or so minutes, because it's part of the fun. I even got me a second SL-1210, two decent DJ cartridges and a mixer recently. IMHO this is the way singles are meant to be listened to. If I want to listen to the same record for more than 20 minutes, I put CD in and relax.

I got really excited when I learned that our former local club, a basement discotheque I spent a good - if not the best - part of my youth at, had re-opened. For the youngsters mainly, but they were looking for the 1979-85 stuff to do revival nights for old guests from the old club about four times a year. So I made contact, and each time another party comes up, the DJ appears at my place with his empty box to carefully select about a hundred records from my shelves to choose from on the upcoming weekend.

This gives new life and a deeply satisfying meaning to my collection: See 200 people go crazy to my vinyl that would otherwise be tucked away forever. This is what those records were made for in the first place.

jake

Post by jake » 12 Apr 2016 19:34

Here in Chicago now there are pop up record stores in fashionable coffee shops in fashionable neighborhoods. But the latest trend is- pop up music - fashionable restaurants having someone come in with their gear and records to play music all night. Now these are not DJ's, they are passionate music people who want to share.
Pretty cool.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 22 Apr 2016 11:22

Can't say I do. I grew up mostly in the 80s in small towns. Our local record stores didn't carry singles at all. Sometimes I visited bigger record stores in cities but I don't remember the singles being much on display there either. I guess it just wasn't fashionable at the time, at least up here. I never had any singles growing up, neither did most of my friends, though one of them did have the Dead Kennedys' "Nazi punks f**k off" which was kind of cool.

I guess we just grew into LPs. Even now I rarely want to hear just a single song of an artist, it's over so quick. 7 inch EPs though, that's a great format! If you have 4 great songs that's all you need for a perfect EP.