Record Adapters

jukebox jury
iibobii

Record Adapters

Post by iibobii » 29 Jan 2015 01:33

Hello. I'm a big 45 record adapter collector and am searching for several adapters that have escaped me over the years. (I even started a web page 45recordadapters.com) I thought I would post here to see of any of you might have some of these or other unique adapters sitting somewhere in your collections...and available for sale. Here are some of the ones I'm looking for. Thanks!
Attachments
Looking For.jpg
(194.81 KiB) Downloaded 1106 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Record Adapters

Post by vinyl master » 29 Jan 2015 04:53

Very cool hobby collecting these... 8)

I found these in a box of records I'd bought not too long ago...

I'll keep a lookout for any like the ones you posted, though...

iibobii

Post by iibobii » 29 Jan 2015 05:15

Hi. Thanks so much for following up. Unfortunately I already have those. They are fairly common and were actually the first adapters manufactured and sold here in the USA, in the 50's I believe if memory serves me right. Thanks again and please keep me in mind if you come across any more. Bob

madplatter

Post by madplatter » 21 Sep 2015 20:02

There is one on my Los Lobos record, I'll check it out when I get home.

iibobii

Post by iibobii » 21 Sep 2015 22:13

Great! Thanks.

madplatter

Post by madplatter » 22 Sep 2015 15:43

4 down 3 over. Its the yellow one minus the black lettering.

iibobii

Post by iibobii » 22 Sep 2015 16:15

Hi.

If it's just the standard yellow Rector style adapter, then that quite common. Is there anything on it that might make it unique?

madplatter

Post by madplatter » 23 Sep 2015 03:21

Nah nothing special just says recoton records in small raised letters.

madplatter

Post by madplatter » 23 Sep 2015 03:24

I did find this today though.
Attachments
IMG_0455.JPG
(120.29 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 25 Sep 2016 16:25

I don`t collect 45 rpm adapters, but have problem. The new turntable which I bought does not have a hole for adapter on the upper left and also adapter was not in the box. I had one older, tried to attach it, but it does have too small hole for a new turntable. So I threw it away. Then I went on web and the sellers of turntable accessories have prices around 8 eur. But I don`t want to give 8 eur + delivery cost and then I will find out that new one also has too small hole. How can a hole be too small?

Dual622

Post by Dual622 » 10 Nov 2016 19:34

I use the yellow plastic snap-in 45 adapters on my Dual 1218 and 1264 changers. The ones I bought are LKG Industries/Custom Home Products model SA-10. I bought them from my local record store. One peculiar feature these adapters have is three small pegs on each side. When you stack records on a changer, the pegs of one adapter interlock with the open spaces in the adapter under it. This locks the records together so they don't slip. Initially, I thought the pegs would prevent the records from stacking properly and cut them off flush. That was a mistake. When I tried to play a warped record, the now-smooth adapters spun against each other. Because these snap-in adapters are slightly thicker than the records, they tend to hold the records apart. So, if you buy snap-in 45 adapters intending to use them on a record changer, make sure they have interlocking pegs.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 08 Sep 2017 21:10

iibobii wrote:Hello. I'm a big 45 record adapter collector and am searching for several adapters that have escaped me over the years. (I even started a web page 45recordadapters.com) I thought I would post here to see of any of you might have some of these or other unique adapters sitting somewhere in your collections...and available for sale. Here are some of the ones I'm looking for. Thanks!
Beautiful, interesting and worthwhile site of yours. I say so sincerly since I'm a long timer 45rpm's vintage "crate digger" and love my singles to the bone but never with those "pop-ups" adaptors. They tend to unwillingly pop-out with the handling.

Plus they don't allow a swift drop and lift-up as with a conical heavy metal chromed platter adaptor. But since they are the "symbolic" artefact of that pro-fascination, they are the "flag" of the 45 nation. A friend of mine even got one tattooed on his arm...

A while ago I gave him all those I gathered through the years and will ask him if he has some you might not have yet. I dug out one I recently got but it's the first one showing as the German "thin" KPL one on the vintage plastic page from your site.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 01 Oct 2017 17:03

Hi,

I used to discard most of my 45 adaptors as I played my records on my little RCA automatic 45 changer, which had the big spindle only.
Just found in my junk box a couple of models I do not see in the above pics.
The silver RCA type came stamped on the rim of the center by three small dents. Not easy to take them off without damaging them.
In the mid-fifties, most RCA records sold in Belgium (featuring mostly Elvis Presley, Harry Belafonte, Perez Prado, the Chakachas, etc...) were made in Germany under licence by Telefunken-Decca (TELDEC) and were sold with this adaptor.
The helical black type was typical of the mid-sixties and came with practically all records sold here.
The plain white one must date back from the mid-fifties (Polydor). Never seen many of this one...
Just my little contribution for this thread...

Cheers,

Hugh.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 05 Jul 2018 00:31

I don't use adapters of any kind. With the TT spinning at 45 I set the 45 on the platter roughly in place, I put my index finger on the spindle and my thumbnail touching the inside of the 45 hole, with a tiny amount of nudge the 45 just lines up so it's touching my thumbnail all the way around. I then of course remove my hand and play. The record is perfectly centered and I've never had one slip out of position. The mat grips it. It's far faster than dropping the 45 onto a center 45 spindle then removing it when it's done.. I developed this method for really fast play and change at parties. Now I just always do it.
Indi

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 05 Jul 2018 10:12

IndigoRock2001 wrote:I don't use adapters of any kind. With the TT spinning at 45 I set the 45 on the platter roughly in place, I put my index finger on the spindle and my thumbnail touching the inside of the 45 hole, with a tiny amount of nudge the 45 just lines up so it's touching my thumbnail all the way around. I then of course remove my hand and play. The record is perfectly centered and I've never had one slip out of position. The mat grips it. It's far faster than dropping the 45 onto a center 45 spindle then removing it when it's done.. I developed this method for really fast play and change at parties. Now I just always do it.
Indi
Those "clip on" 45 adaptors are indeed a pain if one does endless singles musical sessions. They just keep on kicking out, fall in the box or damage the label's edges... They are emblematic nonetheless, but I never kept one so strong is my love for my 45's. But as "wall paper" they are great motives.

Me also I have play out with the approximative finger centering when necessary. Cheap party organizers (rant). But then between the browsing in the play box for a coherent and or welcome set and the end of the playing tune, to fiddle to center the next record by hand is more of time wasting.

Home and out this is the best device I have yet find; heavy mass (bronze, lead or cast alloy) for inertia, 37.8 mil base for easy slip/slide-drop/pick of any 45's center hole diameter slight variations, high vertical base for spot on vertical drop in place. Mine is chromed for softer friction and bling.

The "clamp" ones with your name on it don't allow the swift moves. While those cardboard cover with felt from some 10 years ago (I don't see them anymore) with the record "lift" were just a show off, money wasters and smart ass vanity creations for UK new breed Dee Gees wannabes.
Capture d’écran 2018-07-05 à 10.21.36.jpg
(22.68 KiB) Downloaded 200 times