Who else likes the Move?

jukebox jury
majerjack

Who else likes the Move?

Post by majerjack » 26 Nov 2011 03:47

Those of you in England probably know that a number of rock bands came from Birmingham. The best of these, and in my opinion one of the best rock/pop bands ever, was the Move. The group originally formed with five members who had previously been members of other Birmingham bands. They eventually moved to London and went through several changes of personnel, finally arriving at the trio of Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne, and Bev Bevan.

All the Move members were talented, but it must be said that Roy Wood was the resident genius and presiding talent. Roy was not the best singer in the world, but he was a gifted guitarist and an engaging and innovative songwriter. His musical versatility allowed him to pick up any unfamiliar instrument and in short order produce music with it. He wrote most of the Move's material and produced their second LP called "Shazam" which stands both as their best-played and best-recorded album. It is a wonderful record which I heartily recommend to any fan of intelligent and fun rock 'n roll. All their records are good, and my other favorite by the Move is "Split Ends", which was a record company compilation formed by removing some tracks from their final group-produced album "Message From the Country" so that five great singles tracks could be added.

One of the singles from "Split Ends" was "Do Ya", the first Move song I ever heard, and the one that is still my favorite. I was a kid driving along a country road in my first car, a jalopy I had purchased with my own hard-earned money, when over the AM airwaves came a sound like no other I had heard before. It was uplifting, stratospheric, and joyous, all the while being propelled by the heaviest of heavy riffs and the most thunderous of thundering drums. It is one of my favorite singles of all time, and it is a disappointment to me that it was not more successful at that time. Indeed, I believe that none of the Move records received the attention and success they deserved. Ironically enough, "Do Ya" was written not by Roy Wood but by Jeff Lynne, the guiding light of the Electric Light Orchestra, the offshoot band of the Move that later recorded "Do Ya" in a more successful but musically inferior version.

They were one of those bands that lit the skies briefly like a meteor and then burned out. Let's hear from other members who remember and love the boys in the band from Birmingham, the Move.

Jimod99

Re: Who else likes the Move?

Post by Jimod99 » 26 Nov 2011 08:24

First record ever to be played on Radio 1 was by The Move!

Adrian Hill

Post by Adrian Hill » 26 Nov 2011 12:26

The Move weren't too bad - their best was Blackberry Way. It always made me chuckle because Carl Wayne was always in the wrong band - whereas the rest of the Move weren't that much interested in presentation, Carl was almost anticipating Glam Rock which the rest of the Move clearly weren't. His singing was usually eclipsed by Roy Woods gravelly voice so he was a bit of a spare part.
Adrian

majerjack

Post by majerjack » 26 Nov 2011 12:42

I liked Carl Wayne's contributions to the band, especially on "Shazam". I always thought that he had the best voice of all of them.

jake

Post by jake » 27 Nov 2011 03:09

IN USA the Move never made it. Back in 1974 I had a rock band that used to play DO YA live and it always brought the house down. This was because it was so far underground they thought we wrote it. I wish I still had that rock band- we would have gone in and out of style three times by now.
I saw ELO on their first American tour in 1974 - great light show - enjoyed it like crazy, but would have preferred the heavier guitars of the Move for sure. Recommend the Split Ends record to everybody- file next to vintage Mott the Hoople.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 27 Nov 2011 10:26

Always loved The Move - Roy Wood, ELO too, Blackberry Way and Fire Brigade remind me of my happy days at School, or rather bunking off in the local Cafe dumping sixpences in the Juke Box, would do anything to hear a good song :lol: