jukebox jury
mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Song Of The Week No.13 - Jack The Ripper

Post by mysticfred » 18 Apr 2011 10:58

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247 ... dsutch.jpg

My local legend David Edward Sutch aka "Screaming Lord Sutch, 3rd Earl of Harrow" was best known for his political aspirations with the Official Monster Raving Loony Party , sadly missing from our political scene since his death in 1999.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247 ... d/jack.jpg

His musical career was best known in the UK with his band The Savages and a stage show built around his hit song Jack the Ripper in 1963, where he emerged from a black coffin. The song does bear a resemblance to the 50's song "Alley Oop".
Other props included knives and daggers, skulls and "bodies". Sutch also booked themed tours, such as 'Sutch and the Roman Empire', where Sutch and the band members would be dressed up as Roman soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ZsWENob1s

In the Rolling Stones song "Get Off of My Cloud", the guy who shows up "All dressed up just like a Union Jack" was Lord Sutch uninvited in Mick Jagger's room.

Ritchie Blackmore was a member of the Savages at one time, and left to form Deep Purple, also Sutch did a few sessions with members of Led Zeppelin which was spuriously released as "Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends", as the album was released without their permission. Quite a collectors item, the record has a following though if you hear it you will understand why Page and co. didn't like the tapes being released...

In the 1960s, he stood in parliamentary elections, often as representative of the National Teenage Party. His first was in 1963, when he contested the by-election in Stratford-upon-Avon caused by the resignation of John Profumo. He gained 208 votes. His next was at the 1964 General Election when he stood in Harold Wilson's Huyton constituency. Here he received 518 votes.

He founded the Official Monster Raving Loony Party in 1983 and fought the Bermondsey by-election. In his career he contested over 40 elections, rarely threatening the major candidates, but often getting a respectable number of votes. He was easily recognisable at election counts by his flamboyant clothes. It was after he polled several hundred votes in Margaret Thatcher's Finchley constituency in 1983 that the deposit paid by candidates was raised from £150 to £500. This did little to deter Sutch, who increased the concerts he performed to pay for campaigns.

Sutch campaigned locally in the 90's to buy the Railway Hotel by Harrow & Wealdstone Station where The Who once played and turn it into a Rock museum, though lack of funds (probably due to all those lost deposits) and a fire devastated the building which was demolished and there now stands a block of flats, "Moon House" named after Keith Moon, who would i'm sure would have found the irony of this highly amusing! :wink:

Sutch suffered from depression and committed suicide on 16 June 1999, following the death of his mother the previous year. At the inquest, his fiancée said he had "manic depression", a sad end for such a fun loving British eccentric.

jmailand

Post by jmailand » 19 Apr 2011 17:50

Great record, do you have the sound from the 45.

I love the "appearing soon posters" on the wall,"The Kinks" and "Long John Baldry". I keep waiting for that time and age regression machine to be invented. Guess I have to stick to YouTube and my imagination.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 20 Apr 2011 08:44

XenMaster

Post by XenMaster » 16 Jun 2011 14:25

Sutch campaigned locally in the 90's to buy the Railway Hotel by Harrow & Wealdstone Station where The Who once played and turn it into a Rock museum, though lack of funds (probably due to all those lost deposits) and a fire devastated the building which was demolished and there now stands a block of flats, "Moon House" named after Keith Moon, who would i'm sure would have found the irony of this highly amusing! Wink
I got a brick from the Railway Hotel after they demolished it as a little totem....worked around the corner from it for many years....I'm sure other places get mentioned, but usually this is cited as the venue where Pete Townsend accidentally invented rickenbacker smashing and a whole rock and roll cliche....I always thought it would have been apt if when they demolished the place they had got Townsend in to start it off with a guitar....

Mike

Officerpup

Post by Officerpup » 05 Jul 2011 00:33

Shame not to make mention of Joe Meek, who produced Sutch's early 45's, including this, or the fact that Sutch had a pirate radio station on one of the anti-aircraft 'towers' out from the Thames Estuary - happy days :)

Rusty B

Re: Song Of The Week No.13 - Jack The Ripper

Post by Rusty B » 03 Dec 2011 05:56

mysticfred, I really liked that song. Nice post!! Spookydookie!!