What Are Your Best Sounding 45S ?

jukebox jury
VicenteAlvarez

Re: What Are Your Best Sounding 45S ?

Post by VicenteAlvarez » 19 Jan 2012 03:05

My 45 collection is pretty small at the moment (I'm workin on it) but the best sounding single I own is unquestionably my copy of The Animals-House of the Rising Sun. It's old and beat and soooooooooo grungy. Objectively, it sounds awful but to me, all that crackle makes the tune all the more powerful.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 22 Apr 2012 05:00

VicenteAlvarez, I have to admit that although I have the same Animals record you've got, mine is near-perfect looking. (There's a ton of gloss and hardly no visible ringwear even under bright light, but has very light signs of play.) However, there is harsh sibilance on the A side that occurs when the 's' sound is heard. "Talkin' 'bout You" (the B side) doesn't have this problem. My copy of the record is MGM 13264, with the black label.

sombunya

Post by sombunya » 25 Apr 2012 05:31

I slipped a 1964 pink label Decca promo of The Who doing "Can't explain". I think it was unplayed before I got it.

Clean, loud and clear.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 25 Apr 2012 15:51

For me it has to be 'Shakin' all over' by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates from 1959.

I can remember first hearing this on an AMI jukebox at the time, and just could not believe the bass, many years later when I had a reasonable collection of jukeboxes (25) all of the 45 rpm machines would have a copy of this record on A1. Times have changed and most of the 'boxes have now gone but the 3 that I still have, all have a copy of this disc. Never fails to impress.

Alan