Post by BoblK » 10 Jan 2019 01:49

My first single was bought in 1959 ( yea, I know..) and it was

"Seven Little Girls (Sitting in the Back Seat)" by Paul Evans and the Curls

And yea, even a music video to boot.

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Your first single

Post by AudioFeline » 05 Feb 2019 06:08

The first I owned (a gift), or the first I bought.

The first I owned was given to me when my sister was given our record player for Christmas. We each got 3 cut-out singles to play. My mother (who knows nothing about music) got them because they were cheap, and didn't think that we would actually play music we would want to listen to. Needless to say, they were horrible. The one I remember is by Anne and Johnny Hawker, old-time thesbians from the Vaudeville circuit. The song was "It's a Sin To Tell A Lie", a tale about not lying about infidelity. It would have taken my mother's interest, as she never lost an opportunity to try to give a moral perspective (and I enjoyed the humerous interpretation of her gift-giving motives).

The first I bought - much greater street-level credibility: Russell Morris - "The Real Thing". Orange Columbia label, with the big featured "45" on the label.

Ear today
France

Post by Ear today » 30 Mar 2019 15:30

My first was Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran. Left it laying in bright sunshine one day and it warped badly but I played it for years in that state.

kingpin1935
Wales

Post by kingpin1935 » 04 Apr 2019 12:35

To resurrect this thread,my first single was Diana by Paul Anka on a 10"78,green Colombia label.
I bought it a week before my first record player was bought!

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 07 Jul 2019 20:43

Being someone that wasn't born until the late 80's, I didn't have, or own records until I was in my 20's. That being said, my first 45 single was actualy part of a cd box set of the Jackson 5, that I had asked for for christmas. One of the songs on it was, 'Feellin' Alright. The very first single that I actuly went out and bought for myself was used, as are all of the 45's I have. It was a Tommy Sands song, along with some other 45's that I can't remember right now.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jul 2019 03:31

Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
07 Jul 2019 20:43
Being someone that wasn't born until the late 80's, I didn't have, or own records until I was in my 20's. That being said, my first 45 single was actualy part of a cd box set of the Jackson 5, that I had asked for for christmas. One of the songs on it was, 'Feellin' Alright. The very first single that I actuly went out and bought for myself was used, as are all of the 45's I have. It was a Tommy Sands song, along with some other 45's that I can't remember right now.
Mrs Ritchie Valens, you seem like a very "old soul", no? :-k

I grew up with 45's all my life, but since you were born at the tail end of 45 rpm production, what is it that got you into 45's in the first place? What are your favorite genres of music on 45's? :-k

By the way, speaking of the Jackson 5, you might like this, as it features probably one of my favorite James Jamerson basslines! :D

I think it's a better b-side than "Mama's Pearl"! 8)

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 09 Jul 2019 21:29

vinyl master wrote:
09 Jul 2019 03:31

I grew up with 45's all my life, but since you were born at the tail end of 45 rpm production, what is it that got you into 45's in the first place? What are your favorite genres of music on 45's? :-k

By the way, speaking of the Jackson 5, you might like this, as it features probably one of my favorite James Jamerson basslines! :D

:)
Hahaha!! I've had people ask me whenever I've talked about older music say, "what do you know about that?" So, in answer to your question, I guess maybe I am.
Gosh, what got me into records/ 45's? Well I really don't remember, because it's been so long now. But, I've always liked the idea of records and always wanted to have my own record player/ records.
Favorite types of music on 45's? Um, 40's, so like jazz and pop. 1950's Rock 'n roll, do-wop, pop and r&B. I like stuff from the 60's on up through the 90's.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 09 Jul 2019 21:31

BoblK wrote:
10 Jan 2019 01:49

Hahhaa!! I have that on 45 RPM!! Really like the song! I've seen that music video, though I don't know if it can really be called a music video since it was live?

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 09 Jul 2019 21:34

Ear today wrote:
30 Mar 2019 15:30
My first was Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran. Left it laying in bright sunshine one day and it warped badly but I played it for years in that state.
Oh dear!! You bad, bad, bad, person!! :)) No, no, no, no, I'm just kidding!! So, tell me the story of how you left poor Mr. Cochron to melt in the hot sun?

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 10 Jul 2019 02:16

09 Jul 2019 21:31
BoblK wrote:

Hahhaa!! I have that on 45 RPM!! Really like the song! I've seen that music video, though I don't know if it can really be called a music video since it was live?
You are right, it was live. I guess we could at least call it a "precursor" to music videos..... Welcome to Vinyl Engine!
Bob

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 10 Jul 2019 02:20

vinyl master wrote:
09 Jul 2019 03:31

Mr. Jamerson. One of the Original Fabulous Funk Brothers...... great stuff, if I do say so myself..

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jul 2019 05:29

BoblK wrote:

If you like that Paul Evans song, you should hear this one he did later on...

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 11 Jul 2019 15:17

Bob,
Yeah I guess you could say that. And, thanks for the welcome.

ricksbsa
United States of America

Post by ricksbsa » 11 Jul 2019 16:53

Beatles Yellow Submarine

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 11 Jul 2019 17:09

It was so long ago that l forgot exactly but, I do remember some very first 45s acquisitions...... which are all pre Beatles .

Bye Bye Baby - Mary Wells
Try Me- James Brown
Stay - Maurice Williams
Mashed Potatoes - Dee Dee Sharp
Please Mr. Postman - Marvelettets
Twistin' The night Away - Sam Cooke

Then, The Beatles (and the British invasion) came along........ and changed everything. :)