Het soldaatje

:oops:
Was this a gift for your birthday :lol: or did you buy it yourself? :shock:

rp

Re: Your first single

Post by rp » 24 Jul 2015 15:46

image.jpg
(963.8 KiB) Downloaded 1778 times
T.Rex. "Jeepster," B side, "Life's a gas." Nice picture on the label, a bit of a rarity at the time (1971).

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 24 Jul 2015 18:28

rp wrote:
image.jpg
T.Rex. "Jeepster," B side, "Life's a gas." Nice picture on the label, a bit of a rarity at the time (1971).

Pure class a great first single!!!!!

zeppelinfloyd95
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by zeppelinfloyd95 » 25 Jul 2015 00:36

rp wrote:
image.jpg
I agree with The Gryphon. Those are two excellent songs from an album that is loaded with other really good songs including "Get It On". Electric Warrior is one of those albums that I seem to never get tired of.

Adrian Hill

Post by Adrian Hill » 02 Sep 2015 07:42

In 1962 or 3 I wanted to buy Nut Rocker (B Bumble & the Stingers) but my Mum wanted Wonderful Land (Shadows. I went for Nut Rocker - good choice BUT I only recently realised its a rock version of the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky (sad)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Sep 2015 07:51

Adrian Hill wrote:In 1962 or 3 I wanted to buy Nut Rocker (B Bumble & the Stingers) but my Mum wanted Wonderful Land (Shadows. I went for Nut Rocker - good choice BUT I only recently realised its a rock version of the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky (sad)
Did you also know that "Nut Rocker" was one of the first Kim Fowley productions? If you don't know him, look him up...He recently passed away, but was an interesting character nonetheless...

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 02 Sep 2015 08:11

vinyl master wrote:
Adrian Hill wrote:In 1962 or 3 I wanted to buy Nut Rocker (B Bumble & the Stingers) but my Mum wanted Wonderful Land (Shadows. I went for Nut Rocker - good choice BUT I only recently realised its a rock version of the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky (sad)
Did you also know that "Nut Rocker" was one of the first Kim Fowley productions? If you don't know him, look him up...He recently passed away, but was an interesting character nonetheless...

ELP often use that as an encore !

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 02 Sep 2015 08:35

I can't believe that I just discovered this topic after 10 pages. My first 45's were given to me by my aunt when I was 5. I got a record player for Christmas and by boxing day I was bored of the two Disneyland book and records and bugged all my relatives for cast offs. My aunt gave me Love Is Blue by Paul Mauriat that had been borrowed and never returned to a friend and Simon Says by 1910 Fruitgum Co. that was won in a radio contest. I was 8 when I paid for my first record, Pop Muzik by M. My other aunt borrowed it from a friend and I was entranced by it. In between I got a few big batches of 45's from relatives. I discovered everything from folk and war songs to Motown and hard rock. I was especially fond of Bernadette by the Four Tops and Race With The Devil by The Gun. The only thing is that no one in my family ever owned a Beatles record until I got the Blue Album the year John Lennon died along with John's latest single, (Just Like) Starting Over. My grandmother thought I needed that particular part of my musical education and my grandfather wanted to hear Ob La Di Ob La Da before gifting it to me. Sadly, while I don't have any of those discs any more, it nurtured a love of music in me that will never die. I have replaced some of them a few times over the years.

guitarded

Post by guitarded » 04 Jan 2016 23:47

I'm not like everybody else' : the Kinks

doctoriknow

Post by doctoriknow » 05 Jan 2016 02:04

The 78rpm 10" was The Flying Saucer, Part 1 and Part 2 (has samples of hits and backwards recording)

In 1956, when I was 8, I was into Rock n' Roll already. I heard this what we might now call a mash-up, but I see on youtube it was called a "break-in", and between commentary in the rapid fire style of the most popular TV news announcer, there were samples of popular rock songs. I really liked it and told my dad I wanted to buy it, and should I buy it in 78 or 45, as it was available in both. He told me "these 45's are new and may be a fad. 78's have been around a long time,,,go with 78's." Which I did, and although I have maybe fifty 45's I bought as a kid, but the 78's all broke, probably within a year of buying them.

If you haven't heard this, the first thing you'll think is copyright violation. Yeah, it happened to them, but it was a huge hit and I guess there was no cease and desist.(extensive history of it in the youtube info.) On another youtube post, it is noted that when the "spacemen" talks in reverse, but playing it backwards, he's saying "Secretary of Defense."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCrn6QX ... e=youtu.be

http://www.discogs.com/Buchanan-And-Goo ... se/3117430

subtle70

Post by subtle70 » 07 Jan 2016 12:23

I had a few given to me but the first one I went out and bought myself was....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ontier.jpg

super scope

Post by super scope » 10 Jan 2016 21:34

First single was "Jumpin'Jack Flash" by the Stones in 1968. I was about 12 and remember shopping with my mom at Belk Lindsey Department store in Sarasota Florida in '68.
I had a dollar in my pocket that I earned by mowing my neighbor's entire lawn which was about a foot high! He followed me the entire time while spitting tobacco juice!! Hardest dollar I ever earned in my life! I think the record was 69 cents at the time. I had change left over so I went right to the candy store and bought about 25 cents worth of candy. I believe I got a pack of Chuckles, a box of Good and Plenty, a Milk Shake Bar, a Clark Bar and a pack of Turkish Taffy. Candy was only 5 cents back then. A quarter was a big deal!
Attachments
jjf.jpg
(46.55 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times
chuckles.jpg
(19.67 KiB) Downloaded 1686 times
milkshake_candy_bar.jpg
(51.82 KiB) Downloaded 1691 times
CB.jpg
(49.52 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times
t taff.jpg
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 1685 times

depechetraff

Post by depechetraff » 03 Feb 2016 04:52

This one:
http://cdn.discogs.com/pVnOsmUdPcmyjky8 ... 9.jpeg.jpg
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Walt-Dis ... se/1510939

I think I'm justified in calling it a single since it's a 7". Fortunately, I no longer have it.

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 03 Feb 2016 12:19

Couldn't believe my eyes the other day when, while browsing around in a second hand vinyl sale fair, I came across the 45 version of my first 78 single (Omega records, bought in '56), on Decca label: "Rock around the clock" by Bill Haley and "Pin ball boogie" by Red Foley on the flip side.
Couldn't resist it for 1€.
Memories...
Hugh.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 27 Apr 2016 13:29

Considering how few (around 30-40) singles I have ever bought, you'd thing I'd remember my first. But it's been over 40 years and I sure don't remember :oops:

One thing I'm sure of is that, right from the start, I was more into LPs than singles.

However, two early ones:
Triangle.jpg
(58.09 KiB) Downloaded 1564 times
Pop-Corn.jpg
(86.2 KiB) Downloaded 1561 times
Not too proud of that second one :lol: