Is Collecting 45S More Difficult Than Lps?

jukebox jury
Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 08 Dec 2009 15:18

They have their time and place. I like singles for 'just the hits' listening sessions where digging albums out for one track seems too much trouble.

Jorlsafar

Post by Jorlsafar » 08 Dec 2009 15:32

7" & 12" singles are wonderful to have. There is something special about a
record (including sleeve art work) that was issued just for one song. A luxury.

DMacMillan

Yes, it's harder

Post by DMacMillan » 08 Dec 2009 15:41

I do think it's harder to collect 45's because of the reasons mentioned. It's very hard to find 45's in good shape. I'm always on the lookout for them, but I rarely buy any.

The 45's I'm after would be mostly from the 50's and 60's. I'm trying to round out my collection of the ones I bought as I grew up.

Every once in a while you luck up. I went to an auction once. In their box lots, they had a box with an old 45 carrying case full of records in mint condition. I bid and bought the box for $3.00. When I got home, I found that I had bought a number of rare doo wop 45's, including the Cadillacs "Gloria" with the rare Josie label. It's in mint condition.

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 08 Dec 2009 15:56

There is a shop near my sister's house in Kirkland, Washington that used to stock shelves full of 45's. This was in the darkest days of record puchasing, the mid 90's. As far as I know they have never stopped. It was great being able to find just the song I was looking for without having to buy an entire album. I actually found My Boy Flat Top by Boyd Bennet and His Rockets!

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 08 Dec 2009 16:10

I have a 45 of Zepps "Trampled Underfoot" which allegedly was released without Jimmy Pages authority , and so was immediately withdrawn.
I have no idea if it's true , or if it's worth anything, I bought it because i wanted to play it as it came out before the LP i seem to remember.

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » 08 Dec 2009 16:28

I dont like 45s that much due to the amount of 'digging' involved and the fact when lined up on your shelf you cant see the titles on the spines!

I will buy them if they have 'exclusive' B sides, but only from artists I REALLY like.

teknake

Post by teknake » 08 Dec 2009 17:00

years ago we bought a jukebox, probably early 70s vintage, and then set out to replace all the country records with 50s,60s,70s pop records. In the process I ended up with 4-500 45s that didn't make the "cut". The jukebox gets used when we have company or the kids have friends over but the extra records are in storage and in no particular order. Keep thinking about putting them on ebay and maybe the guy I bought them from would buy them back.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 08 Dec 2009 17:11

JollyJeweller wrote:I have a 45 of Zepps "Trampled Underfoot" which allegedly was released without Jimmy Pages authority , and so was immediately withdrawn.
I have no idea if it's true , or if it's worth anything, I bought it because i wanted to play it as it came out before the LP i seem to remember.

The Led Zeppelin single was offered as a promotional item in limited numbers to shops stocking the "Graffiti" album, now worth between £10 -15 .

I have collected singles since 1966, the early ones i play on my restored stacking record player with original tube amp, and run through a mini equaliser and powered desktop speakers, the original speaker i am seeking to replace.

There are many benefits to the collector - single songs, rare B sides, history, memories, music in its purest original sounding form, not exactly hifi but snapshots. Some of the 50's and 60's singles have amazing sound quality, though they were designed to be played on record players and Juke Boxes and were mixed for such a purpose, the 70's onwards ones could contain some good sounding music, by then often introduced to publicise an album but often contained rare B sides now found on compilation CD's.

My collection exceeds 600 items, many very rare including the Genesis "Happy the Man" single in a picture sleeve, and many modern singles still produced today - like always if you fancy a song but don't want the album there it is. :D

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247 ... msmall.jpg

wintermute

Post by wintermute » 08 Dec 2009 17:23

I've got appox 6000 45's in my collection, most of which will never be played..:) What they are neat for is the "B" side. I'm also a HUGE fan of small, obscure bands & at the time, this was a medium where they could easily release a 3-4 track mini-ep.. Kinda neat. Quite often it's also a song that's not on any other LP. Led Zepplin's Immigrant song comes to mind. For this post, I'm assuming that you're talking the 7" variety, but if not, the 12" variety does provide exceptional sound quality at the higher grove velocity. The 7", well not so much so due there being more tracking error near the end of a 45... Also, many 45's were produced out of polyester which wore out real quick. And of course, in their time, 45's were mostly bought by kids & not taken care of. Played with 2lb tracking force ceramic cartridges don't help them much either..:)

Nathan in MI

Post by Nathan in MI » 08 Dec 2009 20:42

Recently, while thumbing through the record section at my local Goodwill store, I found a 7" 45 rpm set of the music from Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore. I bought the set (10 records), only because it was so strange. They're not in great shape and don't sound particularly good, but I just thought it was neat, and for 2 bucks I figured I couldn't go wrong.

sparrow
long player
long player

Post by sparrow » 08 Dec 2009 20:56

I used to buy a 7'' once a week with the change I had after buying an LP. back in the late 70's to early eighties however I only have a handful now and can't remember the last time I played one. Don't particularly like singles anymore.

kandersen

Post by kandersen » 08 Dec 2009 21:28

I've bought a few 7" singles in 2009, but I'm not a big fan of singles. They are too much of a hassle to play. I really only buy singles from certain artists that I "need" to have.

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 08 Dec 2009 23:14

Much of my collection came from a radio station. Record labels must have bowed to pressure from radio stations to keep making pop records for stations unable/willing to upgrade to compact disc as I have many radio singles from the mid nineties.

Terry Robinson

Is collecting 45s more difficult than lps?

Post by Terry Robinson » 08 Dec 2009 23:52

Evening all:

Have read some fascinating replies from members here.

We have a small collection of 45 r.p.m. gramophone records here: mostly easy listening? Yes, it is a bit of a nuisance having to change them every few minutes. I do find them useful if I want to grab one just to play for some reason.

A very humerous thing happened the other day. There was a storm here and a giant dog got into our house and wouldn't be removed. I eventually got him out and we were still talking about it the next day. Anyway, I remembered I had a copy of the song "Big Dog" sung by the Australian entertainer Rolf Harris on a 45 r. p. m. E.P. I grabbed it, put it on the gramophone, and we all had a good laugh! It was much easier to find this song than if it had been on an Lp.

Another of my favourites is the theme to "Dr. Who", played by the B.B.C. radiophonic Workshop. It comes in an attractive cardboard cover and the bass at the beginning has to heard to be believed.

I've tried to collect 45's recently but there is virtually nothing left any more.

Cheers,

Terry.

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 09 Dec 2009 10:02

Singles can be stored safely and not look like a "mausoleum" at all, these flight cases cost 25 GBP each and an hold up to 200 records each..

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247 ... ords45.jpg

@ Terry - don't you believe it, there are loads out there on Ebay, virtually any fairly common 45s can be found from around a pound or more. A lot of them are also on Youtube if you look :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DoCkNgA-SQ