Aphrodite's Child Promo!

jukebox jury
Keesie25

Aphrodite's Child Promo!

Post by Keesie25 » 27 Sep 2018 11:37

I searched 'promo' on the forum. I see postings of members who state a certain 33 or 45 is a promo, but what makes it a promo? Sometimes the outer sleeve is not present, or a record is shown in a plain company sleeve, sometimes specific writings on sleeve or label, saying it is a promo. 'Not for sale' is printed on the labels sometimes. I suppose most promos are meant for DJ's or radio stations to promote that music.

Of course the 'best' promos are records that were actually not sold in the shops. I have shown you this before with a wierd copy of The Beatles' Penny Lane.

Today I recieved the wierdest one I ever came across. It is a 45 with an outer sleeve that obviously 'belongs'to the 45. Besides the groups name and track titles it says it is an extract from an album (I have it). On the rear side of the sleeve stamped: no 78387/Sud-Radio/24-2-69

https://i.postimg.cc/DZgL366J/Valley1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mD8z5DZ7/Valley2.jpg

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Aphrodite's Child Promo!

Post by Pauw » 27 Sep 2018 11:59

Clearly a French made promo and quite and unusual one which looks as if it were produced to promote an album ( which is printed on the sleeve) rather than a 45 which means two sided promos tended to be unorthodox in their nature because the industry was set up for 45 EPs. Further they also issued records that could find their way into French speaking Belgium. Belgium has some very unusual procedures in record issues and production, some of which overlap with France. The idea of putting data on the sleeve of a promo is not common but France and Belgium can be rather unorthodox and thus it could be they did. French and Belgian promos are not that common as is written material on them...they don't seem to turn up in the qualities that US or UK do and thus it is much harder to build up a picture of the practices ....however from the 50 years plus I have been in the record trade with these ....."expect the unexpected". :D

Notice that you posted this on 45 Cat it will be interesting to see what is said there as that is where many people in the know post about such things... :D

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 27 Sep 2018 12:09

Thanks Pauw, I am sure you can understand my excitement when I finally purchased it!

The only one I am after now is a USA-only single from that group called 'Plastics Nevermore/The other people. Although they show up here and there (there are several on Discogs)I want a complete one, so with outer fold-out sleeve and extra information on seperate sheet. No luck with my mails to USA shops up till now.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 30 Sep 2018 18:11

Those picture sleeves records are called 'Juke-Box' records as they aimed for the professional users (DJ's, critics, radios and Juke-Box) and not for 'joe Public' shops. Those who came with picture or art sleeve where.

Those Juke-Box releases either had a company sleeve or as in this case a specific cheap monochrome informative sleeve aiming at advertising a forth coming album. Nice little collector's oddity none the less. Cool !

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 30 Sep 2018 18:33

Score!

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 30 Sep 2018 19:03

Thanks guys. A cheap sleeve indeed, but a treasure, because it is a 'key' to this record. Now it is proved it is a promo. As you can see the labels do not state it is a promo. The record was never a hit or to my knowlegde never distributed to the public. Also the single is in a very good state too.