Funky Stuff

jukebox jury
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Funky Stuff

Post by vinyl master » 21 Jul 2018 20:24

Now, how you gonna get funkier than that??? When it come to funkin' hard, baby, nobody beats THIS cat! :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jul 2018 06:21

And if you REALLY want to have some fun, open two windows and start playing from one! Pull this thread up so that they're both on the same page...Play the first link you see and break out of your cage! Wait till about...say...10 seconds from the end and in the second window, start the next one to blend...The two songs should mesh like the DJ's of old...And just keep going down till they've all been scrolled!

And if you're not fully hip to the DJ double-play...Take a click on this link...There's an EASIER way! 8)

https://www.google.com/doodles/44th-ann ... of-hip-hop

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 22 Jul 2018 06:50

vinyl master wrote:You're "hot on the tracks" there, H. Callahan! Two more great choices from them! 8) The Commodores are among my favorites and here's another one I really like from them! And we're just getting started!
Thank you, i came across this album on a fleamarket and it was missing the cover. All i could see was the label saying "Machine Gun" and as this sounded serious to me i gave it a go, and it is!
I like the synthesisers on the instrumentals as they give a lot of space to the track and the record also seems to have a very good technical quality (good dynamics) so you can hear that these guys are really good at playing their instruments.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 24 Jul 2018 18:09

vinyl master wrote:Funky stuff, indi??? We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of funky!! :? I'm a huge Kool & The Gang fan and their early stuff really resonates with me, like this little tune, for instance...

I got the CD The best of Kool and the Gang 1969-1976. I didn't know they'd been around since 69. I remember going to see them often and they frequently played on the beach for free in Miami which is where I grew up. I've been playing this disk for 2 days now and I don't seem inclined to take it off. Chocolate Buttermilk is on it. I've got a really cool 2 disk vinyl set coming. Can't remember the name but it's got a subway train on the cover with Kool and the Gang, and the word Funky spray painted on the side. I'm really looking forward to it. I bid on it for $10 (I think it's worth $30) then forgot about it. When I looked again it turned out I'd won the auction at Ebay. COOL!! I mean KOOL!!
Been listening to lots of James Brown and plan on getting a lot more vinyl albums of his. I've never heard such funk coming out of my stereo! JB is absolutely amazing!!
indi

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 24 Jul 2018 18:41

vinyl master wrote:Well, I guess funky see is not funky do, as I haven't heard back from the likes of Y-O-U! Now, I could just be preaching to the choir...But, I'd rather share MORE tunes that'll set your pants on fire!! Dig this list, peoples! 8)

Was this tune the inception of the "WoooooiiiiiiiP WoooooiiiiiiiiP"? I know it was pretty all pervasive in the late 70's. You pretty much couldn't go to a disko without hearing it, and of course back then the crowd would all do it to the music. Kind of embarrassing to think of now. Well actually I was embarrassed for the people doing it back then. You might say I was NOT into Disco.
indi

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 24 Jul 2018 18:50

Tonybro wrote:To post the youtube vids do the following: -

Make sure you have the full url of the video, for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeUzqSyHeI

Then place the cursor where you want the video in your post and hit the youtube button directly above the text window (penultimate button from the right, to the left of Gallery).

You will then see this appear {youtube}{/youtube} with the cursor between the two tags (as they are called) but with square brackets [] not the {} I have used so you can see the example.

From the url you ONLY need the last bit AFTER the 'v=', in the case given 'ZPeUzqSyHeI'.

It is this string of alphanumeric characters that you place in between the youtube tags (I'll use the curly brackets to demonstrate) {youtube}ZPeUzqSyHeI{/youtube}.

Job done! :-)
Thank you, once I got my head more screwed on this was really quite simple, and well, and succinctly explained.
indi

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Jul 2018 22:43

IndigoRock2001 wrote:

Was this tune the inception of the "WoooooiiiiiiiP WoooooiiiiiiiiP"? I know it was pretty all pervasive in the late 70's. You pretty much couldn't go to a disko without hearing it, and of course back then the crowd would all do it to the music. Kind of embarrassing to think of now. Well actually I was embarrassed for the people doing it back then. You might say I was NOT into Disco.
indi
Well, I might say that "Woo Hoo" goes back to a song by The Rock-A-Teens, although there have probably been other examples of that in song...A variation of "Yee Haw", perhaps? I would say that maybe this one may have started the "Woot! Woot!" chant...

By the way, a little known fact is that Whitney Houston's professional singing debut ON A RECORD was as a background singer on Michael Zager's "Life Of The Party" with her mother, Cissy! :D

Regarding disco, some of it actually blended/melded into dance, funk and jazz, so there are lots of variations of this music...If it's a got a strong beat to it and high production values that sounds really good when turned up loud, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it out of hand...Let's not forget that many artists, including The Rolling Stones ("Miss You"), Dolly Parton ("Baby I'm Burnin'"), Roy Orbison, Paul McCartney ("Goodnight Tonight"), Barbra Streisand ("The Main Event/Fight") and many other mainstream artists were going the disco route, too, at the time with varying degrees of success...

I would say that funk has a bit of a stronger beat than just disco alone, but some tunes straddled that fine line...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 16:22

I found an interesting Stax compilation the other day at the thrift store and discovered these guys on it...

Anyone ever heard of Ollie & The Nightingales? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 16:25

The Bar Kays are also on this comp!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 17:15

Here are a couple of newer favorites...I love these guys and they are one of my favorite newer soul-funk bands...And like I've said before, any band that writes horn charts to go with the vocals automatically gets my vote! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 17:19

And then, absolutely NOTHING political here, but IF you're gonna collude with the Russians, these are the Russians you want to "collude" with! :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 17:26

Two more good ones include Lettuce and Vulfpeck!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 17:27

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Sep 2018 17:40

And then, another tight groove here! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Sep 2018 21:00

Boy, I didn't think anyone could re-do MJ and do it justice but this is a quite tasteful arrangement...