45 Single that cuts off right before the end?

jukebox jury
MrBear

45 Single that cuts off right before the end?

Post by MrBear » 03 May 2018 05:28

Hello all. I am new to record collecting (my first posts so not surprising I am sure) and have encountered an issue that I need some help with. I have a 45 Single that stops almost at the end on both sides. None of my other 45's do this. Am I to assume it is damaged or is there something else at fault? I bought it on ebay recently so need to know if I need to return it and find a replacement. :(

beat_truck

Re: 45 Single that cuts off right before the end?

Post by beat_truck » 05 May 2018 19:00

As I mentioned in the other thread that you started with the same subject, the problem is not caused by the record. The cheap, shoddily constructed Victrola (Crosley sold under a different name) is your problem. The auto-stop may be adjustable, and I left a link to a video that may help you figure out how to do it.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 06 May 2018 11:30

Record masterings and pressings can be hazardous as different. And when one collects like me, you get to have the record you want and have to find a way to play them the best way possible. So like it's been said, in the future, find a better fit turntable to do that job. And accordingly if it's for vintage 45's, a cartridge that will benefit those record's groove and read.

Such poorly designed auto-stop, arm-lift or return mechanism have always been a source a major frustration as far as I can remember. As a teen, I, like many, had to do with was "given" to me. I could have try to dismantle them. But likely I was to afraid to be unable to put such devise back together and be left with a non-functioning anymore turntable.

Having been a 45 rpm on 7" devotee since the age of 7, a love journey I started some 41 years ago, I have learned that the fully manual turntable is what suits me best. Have even taken out and sold on te cueing system of my SME tonearm to thumb'N'finger lift drop the stylus with the headshell "ear". Steady hands and good eyesight are needed though.

Mind you that with a fully manual turntable, depending on your tonearm ergonomic and weight distribution, a real and well adjusted "anti-skate" is required. If the bias force is too strong and you're not there to catch the headshell at the end of the record, the needle might jump onto the label instead of staying in the never ending groove loop...

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 08 May 2018 17:06

I agree to a certain degree (!) with you guys. When the turntable is a 'cheap' one, things are bound to get wrong sometimes. Still, MrBear said it is just this one record that shuts off before the end of the track. I had a similar problem with my not so cheap turntable, wich first of all needed adjusting. Off the actual subject, but bear in mind the shut off moment with a 45 is SOONER than with a 33.

So, for a start, how long is the 45 which shuts off too soon? Also, when a record is not fully centered, and so the arm has a tendency to 'woggle' horizontally, towards the centre of the record the turn off moment is more critical compared to playing a perfect 45.
Last edited by Keesie25 on 08 May 2018 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 08 May 2018 17:15

Just googled the song Mr Bear is reffering to, from Savage Garden. As both sides are just a little over 4 minutes, and the rest of your 45's play to the end without problems, even with the cheapest turntable ever, it must be the 45 itself that has the faillure.
To give you something to think about, 'Halo of Flies' by Alice Cooper was done on 45, only in Holland I believe. It lasts for 8 minutes and 21 seconds......

beat_truck

Post by beat_truck » 08 May 2018 21:14

Keesie25 wrote:Just googled the song Mr Bear is reffering to, from Savage Garden. As both sides are just a little over 4 minutes, and the rest of your 45's play to the end without problems, even with the cheapest turntable ever, it must be the 45 itself that has the faillure.
To give you something to think about, 'Halo of Flies' by Alice Cooper was done on 45, only in Holland I believe. It lasts for 8 minutes and 21 seconds......
I'll bet good money that it's not the 45 that is at fault. We basically are talking about the cheapest turntable ever! :roll: Google Victrola 6-in-one aka Crosley if you don't believe it. Stopping too early is a known issue with some of them. I have seen it happen first hand with machines that use the same cheap crappy mechanism. And how many 45s does the OP have to compare the one with an issue to? 3, 10, 1000?

Keesie25

Post by Keesie25 » 08 May 2018 21:28

I know those cheap retro looking turntables, because I have one myself: a Ricatech with a horn. Yes, it is cheap, but firstly it looks wonderful, and we use it merely for parties: put in a stickie filled with MP3's, and it goes on end. No big wall of sound, just music in the background, enough to hear wat other people are saying.
I know what you mean though, so I play my 45's on a good system.

I suppose we will never know why the record turns off too soon. Still, as Mr Bear said, it is only THAT one......

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 12 Jun 2018 20:03

I'm always amazed by my old but well tuned RCA Victrola's changers in their record changing performance!
Quite a PITA to adjust them though, but when it's properly done, they seem to work flawlessly with any 45, no matter how old (early '50ies through the latest '90ies).
Most of my teener's 7"'s have been played numerous times on a RP 190 in the early sixties and are still not showing any undue wear.
I recently bought one on e-bay (nostalgy…) and restored it to its ancient glory, retrieving the same ability to cut off just in time.

Cheers,

Hugh.