record damages / scratched during playback

jukebox jury
silvershadelynx

record damages / scratched during playback

Post by silvershadelynx » 12 Dec 2017 19:37

Hi,

I was very happy with my afforably priced 3 lp box, secondhand, Albonini 12 Concerti a Cinque Op. 9. I cleaned it using demineralized water, dish-soap and a paintbrush and dried it using a fine microfiber towel. After playing the first two records without any problems I tried the third record. In the middle of the record suddenly a sharp sound emerged and I had a look: there was a +/- 12 cm long scratch, apparently freshly scratched from the stylus.

I had a similar case before where there was a small dot of dirt? Just very small, creating a small (+/- 1 cm long) fine scratch. That was a new record. This time it is a secondhand record.

I made a picture of the scratch:

https://image.ibb.co/mbxCLG/P1010704.jpg (see right side, vertically in the middle)

After playing in the scratched area the stylus keeps repeating the scratched area. (looping)

I'm very fed up by this. What could have been the cause? How could this have been prevented? Would a commerical record cleaning machine have prevented this situation?
Could my stylus have been damaged now? It is playing fine and I just cleaned it to be sure?

silvershadelynx

Re: record damages / scratched during playback

Post by silvershadelynx » 13 Dec 2017 08:31

Hi,I checked the record again and the only conclusion I can come up with is that the scratch was already there as I started playing the record from the beginning and suddenly, in the midde of the record, the strong distorted sound emerged. The scratch is a fine line, about 12 cm in lengh and follows one groove. At the end of the scratch theres a curly scratch, about 1 cm, pointing towards the spindle. I think it was the previouw owner that must have scratched the record. Or at least I don'nt now how ohterwise this could have happened, I guess it's unlikely that a hard particle was residing in the groove and pushed forward through the groove?

The stylus still plays well, I wil have a look under the microscope but I suppose everyting is still ok except for the record.

silvershadelynx

Post by silvershadelynx » 14 Dec 2017 11:27

Hi, just to be sure my stylus is ok I checked it using a microscope. I made some pictures too but the image quality is not that good. Can you tell if the stylus looks ok when it comes to wear when looking at thes images? Or should one look at the bottom of the stylus rather than the side?

https://imgur.com/VtXLr8N
https://imgur.com/a4Dd39C
https://imgur.com/dUiq8mJ

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 15 Dec 2017 00:19

"afforably priced 3 lp box, secondhand,"

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 10 Apr 2018 18:02

New records and shiny cars are not always able to keep their showroom shines. But sometimes you have to sit back and wonder what our once new records and shiny cars think of us when we show up to use them through the years. :( :cry: :wink:

Anyway, if you can visually find the point where the stylus is deflected back to a previous groove, and if the physical obstruction isn't too aggressive and limited to the upper groove, you might be able to lightly rub the area of the defect with the tip of a wooden toothpick both directions and at least make the groove playable again. It may leave a light area as evidence of it's application, and an abrupt "tick", but it just might be playable.

FrankLM
United States of America

Post by FrankLM » 27 Dec 2018 16:05

Hi:
The scratch looks like something landed on the pickup while it was playing, or maybe a heavy hand trying to pick up the arm.
I have had some success with surface scratches by VERY CAREFULLY shaving the record surface with a single edge razor blade held at as low an angle as you can achieve. Don't apply much pressure or it'll dig in. Try practicing on a junk record from a thrift shop.
Just run the record on a turntable at the normal playing speed and carefully shave the surface. Remember, this is a last ditch effort so be careful. I have saved several records that had bad scratches, but it's my choice to try it. And it's your choice as well. Be careful with the blade and be certain it doesn't have any rough edges or you'll make matters worse.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 27 Dec 2018 16:08

I have seen this once or twice in 50 years plus.....explanation.....I believe some particle got trapped in the groove and caused the scratch as the stylus dragged it along.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 27 Dec 2018 17:22

Try non abrasive eraser(white) first. Wood could damage the groove. There is a videos on tube about repairing looping record. However I find these long along the groove scratches most difficult to repair.