the home of the turntable

loud static on volume adjust

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

loud static on volume adjust

Postby j_q » 20 Oct 2017 16:34

I got a dusty old Fisher 4025 integrated receiver, and a Onkyo CP-1116A with cheapo Stanton cart. I've wiped them down and got it set up at my desk at work, for listening away the 8-hours of desk sitting with some headphones.

The receiver makes loud static when adjusting the volume knob. Is this something that can be fixed by dis-assembling, cleaning, and re-assembling? Should I just live with it, find a good listening volume and not adjust it much?
j_q

United States of America

Re: loud static on volume adjust

Postby jdjohn » 20 Oct 2017 17:12

Hi, and welcome. It's the volume potentiometer, or pot. Take the cover off to gain access to the back of the pot. It should have some slots on the sides. Spray some DeOxit contact cleaner into the slots, and then work the knob back-and-forth to the extremes about 20 times. Then do it again :) If it still has static, do it again.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby j_q » 20 Oct 2017 17:33

Thanks for the welcome and the quick tip... I hadn't yet taken the top off this thing... it sounds like I should probably do it for all the pots, as a matter of course. This was college property once upon a time, and I imagine did hard duty at dances & such, before being shoved in a closet for a decade or two.
j_q

United States of America

Postby analogaudio » 20 Oct 2017 18:11

I agree with the suggestion.

It is also possible there is a minor fault in the electrical circuit that has allowed some DC to reach the pot. If the noise persists despite the cleaning method then it may be DC. Repairing this is a job for a tech.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers