the home of the turntable

This is good score on some speakers?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

This is good score on some speakers?

Postby uniman4 » 16 Oct 2017 13:55

Nothing beats that rare old folks seller on CL. This really nice older lady got these out of a vacation home, prestine i guess. Check them out. Jump on them? I have read good things online about them.

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-speakers/6347746906.html

POLK AUDIO RTX MONITOR SERIES 8T $50
uniman4

United States of America

Re: This is good score on some speakers?

Postby Alec124c41 » 16 Oct 2017 14:44

Jump.
Polk made good speakers.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby uniman4 » 16 Oct 2017 15:20

yup, picking them up in a bit. While i've got your attention. Maybe i found a vintage receiver to satisfy my tastebuds for a bit?

Currently no bids on a pretty clean Sanyo jxc 2400k with 45 minutes left. Minimum was 80 with 20 shipping.

I'm torn on that one. Again, good words about it out there. But a Sanyo is still a Sayno.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REDUCED-Nice-Vintage-Sanyo-Model-No-jcx-2400k-Receiver/182828285043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
uniman4

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 16 Oct 2017 16:21

I love old Polk speakers. They will sound best with a higher wattage and high current amp. I don't think that Sanyo will get the best out of them...would probably sound very warm, although would work.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 16 Oct 2017 16:24

Alec124c41 wrote:Jump.
Polk made good speakers.

Cheers,
Alec

I agree.
Shame that polk went sour like many others.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 16 Oct 2017 16:44

Let the sanyo pass, just didn't want to spend the $ on it at this time. BTW, using a Yamaha RX-465 receiver now, it's pretty decent really. 105x5 on the wattage. Think this will supply enough power to the polks? Or gotta start looking at amps, which i have never done before btw.Thanks
uniman4

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 16 Oct 2017 17:58

Spinner45 wrote:
Polk made good speakers.

Cheers,
Alec

I agree.
Shame that Polk went sour like many others.

Yeah ....
When I first got back into vinyl and higher end stereo, I go a pair of the newer Polk speakers.... mainly because of their great reputation as I remembered.

Long story short, I really did not like the new Polk speakers and sold them on CL.
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 16 Oct 2017 21:20

JDJX wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:
Polk made good speakers.

Cheers,
Alec

I agree.
Shame that Polk went sour like many others.

Yeah ....
When I first got back into vinyl and higher end stereo, I go a pair of the newer Polk speakers.... mainly because of their great reputation as I remembered.

Long story short, I really did not like the new Polk speakers and sold them on CL.

A friend of mine has Polk towers from the 80's, rear/center as well.
He had a Cambridge 8 inch powered sub, and wanted to "upgrade" it a few yesrs ago.
We went to HH Gregg for a 10" Polk on sale for $159.00 - his idea.
Well, last year the Polk started to have a "whine" in its built-in amp when not in use.
It's now in a closet, and the Cambridge is back in use.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 16 Oct 2017 22:19

Btw, ive stated in other threads how hard this stuff is to come by, it's like a pirhana tank.

So i get to the place to pick em up, said she posted late sunday night, i was the first to call monday (7am), got there at 1, and she said she had SEVEN calls about it after me.

All people do around here i think.

Curious, what IS a speaker brand that is NOT ultra high end high price that you would recommend? Klipsch? I have read polk is still better. I have heard Boston Acoustics has went downhill. Never been a pioneer or Sony fan when it comes to speakers.

All my speakers have been infiniti b4 this pretty much. I have bookshelf beta's that are unreal, i fueled a college baseball stadium one time just off those things and a sub. However, i recently got some floors, and for the first time, i was not impressed.

So if a guy loves quality sound but isn't Ritchie Rich, was company do u tell him to target?
uniman4

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 16 Oct 2017 23:28

It depends on the type of sound you want.
Natural, neutral...Advent, Boston Acoustics, AR, KLH.
Bright, vivid... JBL, Cerwin Vega, Japanese, etc.

East Coast Sound (neutral) refers to speakers made in Boston, Cambridge, Philly.
West Coast Sound (california)is more brassy, in your face, sharp.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 16 Oct 2017 23:35

There are a lot of different models from most speaker companies. A few models are excellent, and many others are not.
I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-110 speakers, that I like. Sold a pair of round Pioneers for a friend, that I had to stuff with fiberglass to cut the resonance to tolerable levels.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby audiopile » 17 Oct 2017 06:26

Here's the problem - most speaker companies go thru a life cycle:
I.) Original engineering talent makes at least somewhat innovative product -given decent advertising/marketing -the product sells in good numbers.
II.) It may be years or sometimes even decades - but eventually the inventors/investors cash out.
III.) New owners eventually (Too often immediately) - decide to ride the brand name to the bank via make 'em cheaper n cheaper -sell as many as they can before the word spreads that this is a draws flies like dead fish product.
IV.) Polk is one of many whose products for decades were very good value for money and at least a reasonable used speaker "buy". But the quality as they moved to becoming big box fodder has been all over the place. The same can be said for AR ,Advent ,Altec ,JBL , Jensen ,KLH, Fisher ,Scott,too many etc. . You really need to research specific models or at least eras of a brand name to be sure you aren't buyin a white van special with a familiar name slapped on it.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 17 Oct 2017 08:24

audiopile wrote:Here's the problem - most speaker companies go thru a life cycle:
I.) Original engineering talent makes at least somewhat innovative product -given decent advertising/marketing -the product sells in good numbers.
II.) It may be years or sometimes even decades - but eventually the inventors/investors cash out.
III.) New owners eventually (Too often immediately) - decide to ride the brand name to the bank via make 'em cheaper n cheaper -sell as many as they can before the word spreads that this is a draws flies like dead fish product.
IV.) Polk is one of many whose products for decades were very good value for money and at least a reasonable used speaker "buy". But the quality as they moved to becoming big box fodder has been all over the place. The same can be said for AR ,Advent ,Altec ,JBL , Jensen ,KLH, Fisher ,Scott,too many etc. . You really need to research specific models or at least eras of a brand name to be sure you aren't buyin a white van special with a familiar name slapped on it.

Yes, major brand names that held respect have all gone south.. Even television sets are crap.
Those "new owners" of old names just want to make a buck, and rely on brand recognition for sales.

Zenith: "The quality goes IN, before the name goes ON"
RCA" "The most Trusted name in Electronics"
Wesinghouse: "You can be SURE, if it's Westinghouse"
General Electric: GE, we bring good things to life"

All those and more, now just greedy junk hawkers from overseas.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby Solist » 17 Oct 2017 15:25

What about EV speakers? I have bought a vintage pair of Interface speakers a while ago, and I find it curious that they are rarely mentioned on the forums online.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Nietzsche
Solist

Slovenia

Postby Alec124c41 » 17 Oct 2017 15:45

There was a time when EV was at the top of the game. Look up the EV Patrician.
The Interface had good reviews, when they were current.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers