the home of the turntable

Speaker repair kits--skill level?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Speaker repair kits--skill level?

Postby Maris61 » 11 Sep 2017 23:37

From this blog post it seems like repairing a totally blown speaker part (I.e. a subwoofer) in an otherwise semi-functioning set of 3-way speakers is a relatively simple task even for a novice--or are the authors making it deceptively simple here??
http://thespeakerguys.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-fix-blown-subwoofer.html#.WbcKRus8KrU

Thank you!

Set-up:
Kenwood Direct Drive turntable KD-74F ($10) (w/ a generic $18 Electro-Voice stylus)
Pioneer bookshelf speakers CS-X5 ($10)
Kenwood integrated amplifier KA-3500 ($20)
KLH M365 speakers, 8 ohms ($10) [going by ear testing amp switches & knobs, 1 subwoofer is totally blown; also possibly one midrange is weak, volume-wise]
Pioneer subwoofer S-FCRW220-K ($10) [not connected, no idea what/if to do anything with]

P.S. This relates to but is separate from a previous (unanswered) post about some KLH speakers I am trying to pair with a Kenwood amp. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=98832
Maris61

Re: Speaker repair kits--skill level?

Postby ammarmariti » 12 Sep 2017 04:27

I've only had experience replacing foam from drivers. For that kind of job you only require some basic technical skills and steady hands.
However, if the problem is with the coil, I think it could be tricky. More so if the amp inside the subwoofer had blown. Then you'll need to do some electronics work that should best be handled by experts.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Diagnosing subwoof. speaker in cabinet

Postby Maris61 » 14 Sep 2017 06:17

Diagnosing subwoof. speaker in cabinet

Just out of curiosity (and since the subwoof. speaker appears to be bad anyway), I unscrewed the subwoof. speaker from its cabinet and removed. But I did not disconnect wires. I doubt there's anything to be assessed visually here--and I could not figure out how to carefully disassemble pieces further to examine the hidden speaker coil. Any advice there?

And why does the mid range speaker in cabinet have it's own tube of some sort for support while the subwoof. speaker does not and could easily fall out after taking out the cabinet's four front screws?

Thank you!

Set-up:
Kenwood Direct Drive turntable KD-74F ($10) (w/ a generic $18 Electro-Voice stylus)
Pioneer bookshelf speakers CS-X5 ($10)
Kenwood integrated amplifier KA-3500 ($20)
KLH M365 speakers, 8 ohms ($10) [going by ear testing amp switches & knobs, 1 subwoofer is totally blown; also possibly one midrange is weak, volume-wise]
Pioneer subwoofer S-FCRW220-K ($10) [not connected, no idea what/if to do anything with]
Attachments
image.jpg
Maris61

Re: Diagnosing subwoof. speaker in cabinet

Postby Spinner45 » 14 Sep 2017 07:38

Maris61 wrote:And why does the mid range speaker in cabinet have it's own tube of some sort for support while the subwoof. speaker does not and could easily fall out after taking out the cabinet's four front screws?
Thank you!

The midrange speaker is chambered seperately to eliminate interference from the woofer.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 14 Sep 2017 22:21

The woofers in your speakers are not subwoofers. They are simply woofers. The single speaker in the separate box is a subwoofer.

The reason the midrange speaker is backed by a tube is most likely to isolate the rear wave from the rest of the cabinet.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Maris61 » 18 Sep 2017 00:48

Thank you all for the clarifications on the hardware....

I have not been able to figure out how to access the speaker wire coil under the woofer cone--not without probable addl. damage. (None of the parts seem built in a way to allow easy repair--part of throw-away culture I suppose.) Also I have no soldering tool or practice using one. And, unfortunately, I'm finding little help w/ intelligible & accessible online guides. I doubt I'll be spending further resources/time to repair these.
Maris61

Postby Spinner45 » 18 Sep 2017 02:29

Maris61 wrote:Thank you all for the clarifications on the hardware....

I have not been able to figure out how to access the speaker wire coil under the woofer cone--not without probable addl. damage. (None of the parts seem built in a way to allow easy repair--part of throw-away culture I suppose.) Also I have no soldering tool or practice using one. And, unfortunately, I'm finding little help w/ intelligible & accessible online guides. I doubt I'll be spending further resources/time to repair these.

That is why there are professional rebuilding places for such things.
Loads of them on the internet.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby 1200y3 » 18 Sep 2017 03:44

You would be better off with a replacement from MCM Electronics or Parts Express. You might find one for $10, and free shipping.

If want the original, then search US Audio Mart, or any of the 2nd hand websites. Google the part number and you may even find some NOS.

Parts Express had a re-coning department for a short time, and it appears to be ceased.

As far as I know, you will rarely get the original sound (or even a worthy sound) back from a re-cone, because you would need both the cone from the original speaker stock, and the assembly equipment.
1200y3
long player
long player

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers